Bullnose Forums

Hubcap painting/replacement suggestions

The center metal piece is held in with tabs... the fake lugnuts might be removable (at least one of them is cracked/split on a corner). The outer metal is crimped and I'd probably crack it out trying to remove that.

If I'm painting these, I want to do it right. The insets being black makes them "pop" a lot more than plain.

As for something else, what else would I want to do? I have plain ugly steel wheels (not even wagon wheels at that)...

I like steelies!

I studied on what to put on mine. I like steelies with caps and PO had trim rings. So I bougjt a set of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-1970-85-FORD-TRUCK-DOG-DISH-HUB-CAPS-SS-101-2-X-2-F100-F150-TRUCK-VAN-/124651523659?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The polished should look good. One seller also had an explorer good emblem and bedside badges I bought as well.

But I even looked at the cheap plastic covers on eBay. Almost bought a set of them, just for now. I passed up several sets of food truck wheels at a swap meet last weekend. Nice set of 5 spoke alloys. Kinda wish I'd got those.

There are lots of things out there. Dude on FB mktplace offered a set of 10 hole alloys last week for $150 with caps, lugs, tires. They needed cleaning. Lots of ford trucks being parted out in this area.

My truck came with a set of 70s 2wd Bronco covers, but I couldn't get them to snap in. I think it's the metal valve stems in my wheels. Want em?

Lots of stuff...

The center metal piece is held in with tabs... the fake lugnuts might be removable (at least one of them is cracked/split on a corner). The outer metal is crimped and I'd probably crack it out trying to remove that.

If I'm painting these, I want to do it right. The insets being black makes them "pop" a lot more than plain.

As for something else, what else would I want to do? I have plain ugly steel wheels (not even wagon wheels at that)...

I like steelies!

Yeah... but they look too old for what I'm going for and have a lot of rim scuffing from the existing hubcaps. I actually liked how the plastic hubcaps looked until I lost all my paint.

Then again, I also noticed that my hubcaps are cracking at the rim clips... so I guess I might be looking for dog dishes after all. I guess I'd need to get some touchup paint to cover all the rim scratches (or mask my tires and spraybomb them).

Yeah... but they look too old for what I'm going for and have a lot of rim scuffing from the existing hubcaps. I actually liked how the plastic hubcaps looked until I lost all my paint.

Then again, I also noticed that my hubcaps are cracking at the rim clips... so I guess I might be looking for dog dishes after all. I guess I'd need to get some touchup paint to cover all the rim scratches (or mask my tires and spraybomb them).

Since I have the trim rings, I just removed them and sprayed the he part that will show. Mine was easy. Good luck figuring it out.

I got one of the bronco covers on and liked it, but could not get another one on. They look good. But... Those are made for a drum brake vehicle and have no vents. That means the fronts collect ALL the brake dust. I'll sell those off soon.

Since I have the trim rings, I just removed them and sprayed the he part that will show. Mine was easy. Good luck figuring it out.

I got one of the bronco covers on and liked it, but could not get another one on. They look good. But... Those are made for a drum brake vehicle and have no vents. That means the fronts collect ALL the brake dust. I'll sell those off soon.

Poking around ebay. Best deal (price vs condition) on stock dog dishes are these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Set-of-4-1990s-Ford-F-150-Dog-Dish-Truck-Hubcaps/194001227077?hash=item2d2b5fcd45%3Ag%3A7GMAAOSwETVfwptp&LH_BIN=1

$80 after shipping... small ouch. Not quite local enough to justify a local pickup (I've been out that way before, good 3 hour drive from here!)

Lots of smashed up mixmatched sets to be found for a bit cheaper, but that's the best I've seen on a set that's in decent enough shape (close enough that I could do some hammer magic to un-dent the rest of the way)... Which is why I'm split on whether I'm better off to paint what I have (and epoxy the cracking areas?) or to get different hubcaps. I like the look of the plastic ones (properly painted, that is). But they are a pain to install and a pain to work around when airing my tires. Choices, choices, choices... :nabble_anim_crazy:

Poking around ebay. Best deal (price vs condition) on stock dog dishes are these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Set-of-4-1990s-Ford-F-150-Dog-Dish-Truck-Hubcaps/194001227077?hash=item2d2b5fcd45%3Ag%3A7GMAAOSwETVfwptp&LH_BIN=1

$80 after shipping... small ouch. Not quite local enough to justify a local pickup (I've been out that way before, good 3 hour drive from here!)

Lots of smashed up mixmatched sets to be found for a bit cheaper, but that's the best I've seen on a set that's in decent enough shape (close enough that I could do some hammer magic to un-dent the rest of the way)... Which is why I'm split on whether I'm better off to paint what I have (and epoxy the cracking areas?) or to get different hubcaps. I like the look of the plastic ones (properly painted, that is). But they are a pain to install and a pain to work around when airing my tires. Choices, choices, choices... :nabble_anim_crazy:

Those look nice!

Those do look good and$20 each isn't bad. I'll try to check some of those places I've been looking tomorrow and see if there are any like yours available. I know I've seen them listed.

Those do look good and$20 each isn't bad. I'll try to check some of those places I've been looking tomorrow and see if there are any like yours available. I know I've seen them listed.

I did a Google search to see what that cap was to look like before the paint was washed off and cam up with this set for a 4x4 or van in 15"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233806211477?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=233806211477&targetid=1068215112660&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9009657&poi=&campaignid=11616960928&mkgroupid=111101411977&rlsatarget=pla-1068215112660&abcId=9300455&merchantid=8448414&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8sL1l77a7wIVg4JbCh2NSg94EAQYASABEgK8qPD_BwE

Dave ----

Heck yeah those look good.

This was just the first set I came across and they do look good.

I just worry would they "come clean" with the next wash?

When I lived in CT I only went to a hand wash car wash, I miss that place.

Down here in NC I wash by hand and it is mostly the pick up and not the DD.

With the pollen now its not worth washing because even in the garage it turns yellow!

Dave ----

Heck yeah those look good.

This was just the first set I came across and they do look good.

I just worry would they "come clean" with the next wash?

When I lived in CT I only went to a hand wash car wash, I miss that place.

Down here in NC I wash by hand and it is mostly the pick up and not the DD.

With the pollen now its not worth washing because even in the garage it turns yellow!

Dave ----

Wait! You're in NC? I can't find you on the member map. Where are you? I'm in Mt Airy, up by the VA border, straight north of Charlotte.