Bullnose Forums

Hubcap painting/replacement suggestions

Took my bull to the carwash the other day... and the wheel cleaning took off most of the paint from my stock plastic hubcaps (on 15" steelies).

Any suggestions on a paint that will hold up better? (these had a mix of black and silver)... or replacement hubcaps that won't look like trash?

Sure do. That be the ones.

Have you considered 'Fusion' spray paint?

Years back I used it on some plastic garden furniture, and it held up fine for the 3-4 years I had it.

The problem being that anything you put on your wheel covers can't fix the factory paint coming loose.

So it's likely to keep happening.

Have you considered 'Fusion' spray paint?

Years back I used it on some plastic garden furniture, and it held up fine for the 3-4 years I had it.

The problem being that anything you put on your wheel covers can't fix the factory paint coming loose.

So it's likely to keep happening.

Exactly... although there isn't much of it left!

DSCN0692.jpg.9d51100e1c0c7241f4df3dc5a3c88018.jpg

From what I'm seeing it's supposed to be (for the plastics) metallic charcoal in the center, black in the "square" outer holes, and metallic silver everywhere else. Lots of masking... yay... http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/sarcastic-23_orig.gif

Exactly... although there isn't much of it left!

From what I'm seeing it's supposed to be (for the plastics) metallic charcoal in the center, black in the "square" outer holes, and metallic silver everywhere else. Lots of masking... yay... :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:

Do those come apart somehow? To reduce your masking time. I believe if it were me I might paint the main part and out to the chrome with a silver and let the recesses go. Try to get the charcoal on the center sections. Good luck. That is going to be a tough one.

Or maybe it's time for a cover change???

Do those come apart somehow? To reduce your masking time. I believe if it were me I might paint the main part and out to the chrome with a silver and let the recesses go. Try to get the charcoal on the center sections. Good luck. That is going to be a tough one.

Or maybe it's time for a cover change???

The center metal piece is held in with tabs... the fake lugnuts might be removable (at least one of them is cracked/split on a corner). The outer metal is crimped and I'd probably crack it out trying to remove that.

If I'm painting these, I want to do it right. The insets being black makes them "pop" a lot more than plain.

As for something else, what else would I want to do? I have plain ugly steel wheels (not even wagon wheels at that)...

The center metal piece is held in with tabs... the fake lugnuts might be removable (at least one of them is cracked/split on a corner). The outer metal is crimped and I'd probably crack it out trying to remove that.

If I'm painting these, I want to do it right. The insets being black makes them "pop" a lot more than plain.

As for something else, what else would I want to do? I have plain ugly steel wheels (not even wagon wheels at that)...

I like steelies!

I like steelies!

So do I (obviously)

But I think I'd cut some sort of mask for the center.

Or find the right flower pot, mixing pail, whatever...

It appears it would be easier to mask off the silver and paint the outer recesses.

Tape on the ribs doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's over.

There will be a cloud of atomized paint swirling around in those pockets.