Bullnose Forums

Wheel Thoughts

In the not too distant future, I want to put some 31's on my truck and have been eyeballing some wheels a friend of mine has.

The wheels he has are the OEM wheels that came on the higher level models of our trucks. See picture below. The wheels will need to be repainted or powder coated. The factory color is argent but I am considering painting them gloss black and keeping with the chrome/red striped beauty rings and chrome center section. My truck is black with red pinstripes and I'm thinking this might look better than the argent, at least with my truck. I know this is purely subjective but I welcome the input. Thanks!

Wheels2.jpg.fe8cc0c32c4277b8cb0dce7a1a9ad49d.jpg

86_F150_1.jpg.1539f81486182a0ccc63a4a7e22ea7f7.jpg

I ran a set of Cragar Soft-8 black wheels on my '84 for the first couple summers. I'm up and down on black wheels...I like them on some things, and then dislike them on others. For those factory spoked wheels, it would be my personal preference to paint them the factory argent color, but that's just me. PS: They came in two versions...15x7, and 15x8 (later on the Bronco's with the 31" tire package). I actually have an alert set up for them on Ebay from a couple years ago.

Back when I first got her in her faded and chalky blue paint. First thing I did was add the wheels and tires.IMG_5390.jpg.baf1fed9518b9dcfe8302f1759f2849a.jpg

One of Christopher Lott's trucks below with the argent spoked wheels and 31" tires, at stock height (sitting fairly tall I might add). 31's and those factory spoked wheels look wicked.

chrisl1.jpg.4778b807580ade13b1354304f680d731.jpg

I ran a set of Cragar Soft-8 black wheels on my '84 for the first couple summers. I'm up and down on black wheels...I like them on some things, and then dislike them on others. For those factory spoked wheels, it would be my personal preference to paint them the factory argent color, but that's just me. PS: They came in two versions...15x7, and 15x8 (later on the Bronco's with the 31" tire package). I actually have an alert set up for them on Ebay from a couple years ago.

Back when I first got her in her faded and chalky blue paint. First thing I did was add the wheels and tires.

One of Christopher Lott's trucks below with the argent spoked wheels and 31" tires, at stock height (sitting fairly tall I might add). 31's and those factory spoked wheels look wicked.

I have a set of wheels from my '84 that look very similar to those but they are aluminum (Kelsey Hayes I suspect). They need some corrosion removed and re-polished. Currently have them on local marketplace for sale. Hoping someone local can put them to use.

Another vote for not black wheels

I’ve seen a look lately, probably been around it’s just that I don’t always see a lot!

Black rims, I think one I saw on this forum had steelies, with the chrome center cap and a chrome beauty ring.

I like it! I think it’s cool to fancy up steelies, always liked them.

I’ve seen a look lately, probably been around it’s just that I don’t always see a lot!

Black rims, I think one I saw on this forum had steelies, with the chrome center cap and a chrome beauty ring.

I like it! I think it’s cool to fancy up steelies, always liked them.

After seeing the silver/grey truck Corey posted above and noting the comments, think I'm going to keep with the argent. Even my son likes the argent look and that gen puts black on everything. Appreciate the input on this, gentlemen.

Interesting note on the 31's rubbing. I posted on this sometime back and some said it was minimal and not worth the concern. I do not intend to lift my truck, as I want to be able to get it in both my house and garage. It's days of sleeping outside are gone! The current height is stock as far as I know, as that is how I bought it, but as Jim noted, it is certainly higher than the red truck I posted on. Should I be concerned with the 31's?