Bullnose Forums

Tips for harmonic balancer removal on 300

I'm going to replace my harmonica balancer soon, and at first glance it looks pretty cramped in there. Does anyone have any tips for the easiest way to remove it before I start getting crazy and pulling radiator, fan etc?

Also: I bought a cheapo puller made from the finest chinesium at napa. I'm going to do my signature move of soaking the hell out of it with kroil before attempting to pull on it, but how worried should I be about breaking either the tool or the old balancer? Is it a common occurence or am I just spooking myself?

Pull the radiator for better access and so if it pops loose suddenly you don't end up having to replace the radiator. I would go ahead and pull the timing cover and look at the gears, factory ones were phenolic and know to strip teeth.

I'd suppose I ought to pull the timing cover as you say, but (correct me if I'm mistaken) didn't the gear stay steel until around 85 or thereabouts?

I'd suppose I ought to pull the timing cover as you say, but (correct me if I'm mistaken) didn't the gear stay steel until around 85 or thereabouts?

That I don't know, the last 300 I had was in a 1977 F150 and I never did anything to that engine other than minor work.

A: if you engine is stock, then you have the steel gear.

Per a review of the MPC, 1984 and 85 were transition years; automatic 2WD trucks (but not vans) kept the steel gears, everything else moved to plastic. Everything after 1986 was plastic, as are most remanned short and long blocks it seems. Discovered this when, to my pleasant surprise, I found a factory steel gear when I rebuilt my 300 a year ago.

As for the balancer, I can't say... I pulled mine when the engine was on a stand... which isn't relevant. You will need a puller, and you'll want to pull the radiator and protect (or be careful) around your condenser if you have A/C.

A: if you engine is stock, then you have the steel gear.

Per a review of the MPC, 1984 and 85 were transition years; automatic 2WD trucks (but not vans) kept the steel gears, everything else moved to plastic. Everything after 1986 was plastic, as are most remanned short and long blocks it seems. Discovered this when, to my pleasant surprise, I found a factory steel gear when I rebuilt my 300 a year ago.

As for the balancer, I can't say... I pulled mine when the engine was on a stand... which isn't relevant. You will need a puller, and you'll want to pull the radiator and protect (or be careful) around your condenser if you have A/C.

That's I was thinking, I guess my other curiosity on topic is whether the CSG 649 switched over to phenolic, or if they ever stayed steel?

Did mine recently. Can't see how you would get it without removing the radiator... I had to remove the stone deflector as well to have clearance for my impact wrench. I got a loaner set at Advanced for the puller and the fan removal tool. I changed the seal, so had to pull the timing cover as well. If you do remove the cover, you'll have to drop the pan at least a little as well, so plan on having all the gaskets you might need to put everything back together. Good luck.

Did mine recently. Can't see how you would get it without removing the radiator... I had to remove the stone deflector as well to have clearance for my impact wrench. I got a loaner set at Advanced for the puller and the fan removal tool. I changed the seal, so had to pull the timing cover as well. If you do remove the cover, you'll have to drop the pan at least a little as well, so plan on having all the gaskets you might need to put everything back together. Good luck.

Thanks for the information.

Now to find where that pesky oil leak it from

Dave ----