Bullnose Forums

classic radio

I don't have any experience but am interested in seeing how it goes and works. I'm hoping my original radio will work when I get some new speakers.

Note that members Nick and George (86 1/2 Brutus) are willing to update/repair these vintage Ford radios.

When you get an audiophile and an electronics geek together serious things happen. :nabble_smiley_music:

(I never thought I would use that smiley...)

I have not heard one, but the features and outward appearance are great.

Here's the link

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Factory-Radio-restoration-and-Modification-by-Nick-tp67749.html

That's what I just put in my 81. It's a decent unit, it looks the part.

I can't say what the output of the radio amplifier sounds like, as I use the pre-amp outs to go straight to a separate amp. But it sounds good and is fairly user friendly. Getting used to how the knobs work takes a little time. The "radio tune" knob on the right does not spin, it just rotates to the right and left a little. If you just give it a fast twist, it goes into seek mode and finds the next station. If you twist and hold for a second, it gives you manual control and you can tune up or down to whatever station. I think they got that kind of backwards, I would prefer it the other way.

I got the bluetooth unit to plug into the Aux, which was $30 or so well spent I think. They supply a cord that has a male plug that goes into the headphones plug on a cell phone, but the cord is pretty short for something that would need to be routed from the back of the radio to somewhere outside the dash area.

As for installation, no big trick, but the mount plate on my truck was somewhat asymmetrical and I had to put a couple nuts on the shaft on one side to get it to sit straight in its position in the dash. There is a warning that you have to use the rear mounting strap when you mount the radio, otherwise the warranty will be voided. I guess they don't want the radio mounted so it is just hanging from the knob shafts, but in the case of my truck and probably yours, it is kind of sitting on a "shelf" above the heater control when it is in place, so the weight of the radio is not on the knob shafts anyway. Also, you have to mount it so that the radio plate is all the way down by the radio itself, otherwise it would be recessed in the dash too far. If that makes any sense.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Is this the one you guys are talking about?

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1980-1986-ford-truck-radio-usa-230.html

Does it come with a filler plate that fits the larger factory radio opening?

Yes, that's the one. I think it did come with some kind of faceplate, but as I recall it was not needed, it fit into the stock radio hole just fine. Bottom line, the radio comes with what you need. Here's what it looks like installed in my truck.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpg.d731868bbdc701ca7611dc8273d91775.jpg

Yes, that's the one. I think it did come with some kind of faceplate, but as I recall it was not needed, it fit into the stock radio hole just fine. Bottom line, the radio comes with what you need. Here's what it looks like installed in my truck.

Or maybe I did use it and that's the small black panel just above the "display". Man, the CRS is hitting me hard lately... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Or maybe I did use it and that's the small black panel just above the "display". Man, the CRS is hitting me hard lately... :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

i believe you have the retro radio the use 230 is the same size as the bezel opening for a 80 to 84 the radio will not fit in the 85 86 bezel

i believe you have the retro radio the use 230 is the same size as the bezel opening for a 80 to 84 the radio will not fit in the 85 86 bezel

That looks good! I was concerned about the gap at the top and the filler plate. I got a later model bezel and used a modern stereo. I wish I had seen one of these installed first.