Bullnose Forums

Question on transfer case speedometer drive gears

I forgot that you asked what kind of gasket. I’ve put them on with just RTV, but prefer the paper gasket with some RTV on it.

The plug might be the alignment pin? It just ensures it goes on correctly.

Oh, there's an alignment pin? Then that's what happened to the hole. He pried the transmission adapter off it and broke the casting. No biggie, it will stick work fine.

Yes, that’s probably what happened. That would break it. :nabble_smiley_oh:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent some time going over this case this morning and cleaning it up. It's a little rough around the edges, but I think it will be OK for what I'm doing.

The input mounting face had some corrosion on it, but it still cleaned up pretty well. There is a little piece of the casting broken off around 9 o'clock, but the hole has a plug pressed into it...so I assume it will be OK. I'll jam some silicone in there. The guy cut the front driveshaft u-bolts off with a torch, but I just zip cut them off and tapped them out.

The front output shaft seal is really rotten...lol, and the metal slinger...or what's left of it, has disintegrated. Luckily the lock nut cam off with a 3/4" impact, and the yoke slides out easily, so I'll clean it up when the new seal goes in. Seems like there's a little bit of slop in the chain, but I don't know how much play is normal...so maybe it's OK. This case was removed from a truck that was either worn out or rotted out...or both...lol, so I'm not expecting like-new quality here. Speedo drive gear (and driven gear) appear to be in nice condition.

So I'll get some input and output seals, and if need be I'll swap the front output shaft from the 1995 case...assuming it will fit.

That little rusted ring on the right is what's left of that front output shaft yoke slinger.

These are magnesium cases Cory.

They tend to develop a lot of white crust.

But magnesium is considerably stiffer than aluminum.

When I was stuck in Vermont I used this exploded diagram mechanical shift from Rockland Standard Gear (mostly because they are local to me, and very helpful)

https://rsgear.business/parts-diagrams/borgWarner-1356-mechanical-shift/

Shopping for transfer case parts Jim I checked these guys out and they unfortunately have a bit of a complicated procedure for international shipping, so I tried AllStateGear in Texas...I ordered all my M5OD seals and parts from them a couple years ago and they were great. Except now...Canada is no longer in the drop-down menu to order, so I called them and they confirmed that they were no longer shipping up here and that I'd have to provide a USA shipping address. Back to the drawing board, I found Torque King and they had a quick and easy online order system, and the parts were showing as shipped a couple hours later (from Billings, Montana)

https://torqueking.com/product/51132/qu51132-seal-and-gasket-kit-for-ford-borg-warner-1356/

The downside is that the shipping was $35, so almost double the cost of the item...but oh well, what am I going to do.

I'm finding more US companies these days are no longer shipping to Canada, and if they do it is terribly expensive. Can't say that I blame them...it is a hassle, and it's expensive...and we're only a little market up here...lol. Oh well. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Parts will be here on Thursday, so I might even get this thing swapped out this weekend. Depends on if my bed panels are ready for the weekend or not. Fingers crossed.

When I was stuck in Vermont I used this exploded diagram mechanical shift from Rockland Standard Gear (mostly because they are local to me, and very helpful)

https://rsgear.business/parts-diagrams/borgWarner-1356-mechanical-shift/

Shopping for transfer case parts Jim I checked these guys out and they unfortunately have a bit of a complicated procedure for international shipping, so I tried AllStateGear in Texas...I ordered all my M5OD seals and parts from them a couple years ago and they were great. Except now...Canada is no longer in the drop-down menu to order, so I called them and they confirmed that they were no longer shipping up here and that I'd have to provide a USA shipping address. Back to the drawing board, I found Torque King and they had a quick and easy online order system, and the parts were showing as shipped a couple hours later (from Billings, Montana)

https://torqueking.com/product/51132/qu51132-seal-and-gasket-kit-for-ford-borg-warner-1356/

The downside is that the shipping was $35, so almost double the cost of the item...but oh well, what am I going to do.

I'm finding more US companies these days are no longer shipping to Canada, and if they do it is terribly expensive. Can't say that I blame them...it is a hassle, and it's expensive...and we're only a little market up here...lol. Oh well. That's how the cookie crumbles.

Parts will be here on Thursday, so I might even get this thing swapped out this weekend. Depends on if my bed panels are ready for the weekend or not. Fingers crossed.

All i can say (channeling my inner Canadian) is 'Sorry we can't be better neighbours" 😁

Rockland gear is just across the Hudson river from me.

In pre-Covid days I could just drive over there and have parts in my hands in an hour.

I'm glad to know Torque King is still willing (from Billings) to work with you, even if it did cost $35.

I'm excited for you, if not as excited as you, for freshly painted parts.

I hope you have a very productive weekend! :nabble_smiley_good:

All i can say (channeling my inner Canadian) is 'Sorry we can't be better neighbours" 😁

In pre-Covid days I could just drive over there and have parts in my hands in an hour.

I'm glad to know Torque King is still willing (from Billings) to work with you, even if it did cost $35.

I hope you have a very productive weekend!

Ha! I blame my fellow Canadians...lol. I think in a lot of cases it's their fault for complaining about the costs and fees...and god help you if you need to return something. I'm in sales, and we were just joking yesterday about "firing customers" lol. I've done it lol.

As for the new paint, yes...getting pretty excited. I'm just hoping that I can pretty-up the rest of the truck enough so that it doesn't look too awful lol. This thing is really rough, and it's going to look kinda funny with the shiny new bed on it...anyway, I'll figure it out. I will probably end up selling this one at some point, so I'm trying to not go overboard with the spending on it...lol.

I hope you have a very productive weekend!

Ha! I blame my fellow Canadians...lol. I think in a lot of cases it's their fault for complaining about the costs and fees...and god help you if you need to return something. I'm in sales, and we were just joking yesterday about "firing customers" lol. I've done it lol.

As for the new paint, yes...getting pretty excited. I'm just hoping that I can pretty-up the rest of the truck enough so that it doesn't look too awful lol. This thing is really rough, and it's going to look kinda funny with the shiny new bed on it...anyway, I'll figure it out. I will probably end up selling this one at some point, so I'm trying to not go overboard with the spending on it...lol.

I hear you on firing customers.

It sometimes opens up time or resources for a more productive relationship. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Don't worry about the truck looking odd.

You've gone way above and beyond in making sure it has 'good bones', and that's rare up here.

Probably even more so in Nova Scotia.

I hear you on firing customers.

It sometimes opens up time or resources for a more productive relationship. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Don't worry about the truck looking odd.

You've gone way above and beyond in making sure it has 'good bones', and that's rare up here.

Probably even more so in Nova Scotia.

Torque King is my go-to place. They are the ones that led me through the auto-hub problem on Huck. They explained that it was a question whether one wheel would fall off before the other locked up. And they had the parts to fix it.

Anyway, glad you found your parts! The truck is going to be both solid and look great!