Bullnose Forums

Question on transfer case speedometer drive gears

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broncos all used a fixed output (yoke -or- flange) and the CV double cardan joint.

So, while it may be a 208, 1345, 1356, whatever... the output shafts differ by application.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I was going to make a plan to get back out to the junkyard to get the transfer case out of a brick Bronco, but when I checked some pictures I took it looked like it had a flanged output, and I need a slip yoke.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I was going to make a plan to get back out to the junkyard to get the transfer case out of a brick Bronco, but when I checked some pictures I took it looked like it had a flanged output, and I need a slip yoke.

If you're opening it up to fix the oil pump stay it's NBD to swap your existing slip yoke output shaft.

Another thing to check is the output bushing.

I know the one that came attached to my Zf was wobbling around.

But I think I got to it before the splines fretted too bad.

If you're opening it up to fix the oil pump stay it's NBD to swap your existing slip yoke output shaft.

Yes, but I still need a tail housing with the connection for the speedo cable, etc. I did just check under the truck and confirmed (I think?) that it is indeed a BW1356. The tag is corroded away, but I could see 135 on it, right where the 1356 is supposed to be.

IMG_4182.jpg.dff290d55b42b6b30f6c60fd711bc8b5.jpg

Yes, but I still need a tail housing with the connection for the speedo cable, etc. I did just check under the truck and confirmed (I think?) that it is indeed a BW1356. The tag is corroded away, but I could see 135 on it, right where the 1356 is supposed to be.

Yep, that's it.

What I'm saying is that if you get one from a junkyard with a speedo drive you should probably open it up to bulletproof the oil pump.

If you have it open, you could swap the tail shaft from the one you already have (as long as it has the ball dent to hold the driven gear)

Yep, that's it.

What I'm saying is that if you get one from a junkyard with a speedo drive you should probably open it up to bulletproof the oil pump.

If you have it open, you could swap the tail shaft from the one you already have (as long as it has the ball dent to hold the driven gear)

Right. But where is the speedo drive connection? Is it in the rear casing half, or in the tail shaft housing?

Yep, that's it.

Right. But where is the speedo drive connection? Is it in the rear casing half, or in the tail shaft housing?

If the gear is in the tail shaft housing, the cable fitting is, too.

IMG_20210324_072920.thumb.jpg.fcf322f0102061d08dd76b21e373d33f.jpg

If the gear is in the tail shaft housing, the cable fitting is, too.

I found this case today for $75. Supposed to get it this weekend or early next week. He says it is out of an '88-'90 that he junked for the engine and transmission. It clearly has the speedo drive as there is a VSS still installed. Does it look like a 1356 to you Jim?

162218496_114189383977420_6754542650345879924_n.jpg.a4bbeeb54d2b76caeb297beda4c951a4.jpg

I found this case today for $75. Supposed to get it this weekend or early next week. He says it is out of an '88-'90 that he junked for the engine and transmission. It clearly has the speedo drive as there is a VSS still installed. Does it look like a 1356 to you Jim?

It's a little tough to say for sure, without seeing all the webbing front or back.

If it stops raining I'll try to get some pics of mine that might show some of the same features.

It would REALLY help if people took a pic of the brightly color anodized build tag when they try to sell stuff online.

The year range works, isn't electric shift, because you don't have a good front case half to swap./s>

Edit: I'm squinting on my phone, but I'm pretty sure I see the tip of the selector arm.

Let me go lay in the mud.

BRB

It's a little tough to say for sure, without seeing all the webbing front or back.

If it stops raining I'll try to get some pics of mine that might show some of the same features.

It would REALLY help if people took a pic of the brightly color anodized build tag when they try to sell stuff online.

The year range works, isn't electric shift, because you don't have a good front case half to swap./s>

Edit: I'm squinting on my phone, but I'm pretty sure I see the tip of the selector arm.

Let me go lay in the mud.

BRB

According to other pics I've looked it, it appears to be correct. He said it was a floor shift. That's the end of the transmission still bolted to it, ya? Is there a gasket between the trans and t-case? If I can't buy one we have sheets of Garlock at work...