Bullnose Forums

New Member - Hello

Hey Ya'll.

Proud owner of 1986 5.0 EFI Bullnose. My project. She wont be shiny pretty but she will run. I have replace all the fuel lines, tanks, fuel pumps from cab back (all tanks were rusted). Moving to the engine. We found A/C wasn't hooked up. Belts missing. Problem is the lil diagram you would normally find for belts .. well there isn't one. Does anyone have the diagram with the smog pump and A/C? I have googled it searched it and no can find. All diagrams have the smog pump below the alternator. Ours is above. Of course.. Any assistance is very much welcomed. By the way, next project is replacing power steering pump, then all the injectors. I am hoping if I run into any problems this is the place for advice. Or any advice. (BTW hubby not too mechanically inclined. But he is learning) I have rebuilt a 6 cylinder top half on a 68 Ford F100 ranger. Raised with 6 gearhead brothers. Grease and oil don't bother me.

Michelle - Welcome! Glad you joined! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Normally people introduce themselves in the New Members Start Here folder, as requested in the email we sent you. But our joining process seems to be bent, if not broken, so that doesn't always happen. But we ask that because we keep the guidelines there and we want everyone to see them as we hold people to them.

So, please assure me you read them?

By the way, where's home? We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a city/state or zip.

As for the belt routing, I'm not sure we have that in the documentation but I'll let others chime in. Perhaps they know.

Welcome Missy! :nabble_waving_orig:

Gates is asking if you have factory or dealer installed AC?

Also the alternator output. High output would be 70 or 100A

https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/vehicle/result.html?equipment-clazz=Passenger+Cars+%26+Light+Trucks&vehicle-type=Light+Trucks&year=1986&make=Ford&model=F+Series+Pickup&engine=V-8+5.0+L

They are pretty good about routing diagrams.

Belts and hoses are all they do!

Welcome Missy! :nabble_waving_orig:

Gates is asking if you have factory or dealer installed AC?

Also the alternator output. High output would be 70 or 100A

https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/vehicle/result.html?equipment-clazz=Passenger+Cars+%26+Light+Trucks&vehicle-type=Light+Trucks&year=1986&make=Ford&model=F+Series+Pickup&engine=V-8+5.0+L

They are pretty good about routing diagrams.

Belts and hoses are all they do!

Hello, thankyou for the response. It is factory installed and not sure about amps. It has 2 plugs. If that helps

My technical knowledge is lacking but I can describe very well

Hello, thankyou for the response. It is factory installed and not sure about amps. It has 2 plugs. If that helps

My technical knowledge is lacking but I can describe very well

I'm unable to get the diagram from the NaviGates app to appear here on the forum. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Basically the belt goes around everything but the tensioner.

And between the crankshaft and power steering tucks up and around the fan/water pump pulley.

It drives the reverse rotation water pump off the back side of the belt.

I'm unable to get the diagram from the NaviGates app to appear here on the forum. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

And between the crankshaft and power steering tucks up and around the fan/water pump pulley.

Jim - If you have a link I probably can post it.

Thank you. I do not have a serpentine, but, a v belt. We had thought that it would go around all the pulleys, except from the AC compressor it would contact hoses. As of this time we have 2 separate belts none of which go to the A/C Compressor. I have attached photos to give an idea. we don't have the belt for the alternator on because we replaced it. sorry they aren't the best photos.

20210323_090540.jpg.55a0f17b35a231039dc7bc1edbd29117.jpg20210323_090606.jpg.40e073e3016315f63d2ea27748bc84da.jpg20210323_090636.jpg.afa96c41f9c85e4678632c2e9adf8ed1.jpg

Thank you. I do not have a serpentine, but, a v belt. We had thought that it would go around all the pulleys, except from the AC compressor it would contact hoses. As of this time we have 2 separate belts none of which go to the A/C Compressor. I have attached photos to give an idea. we don't have the belt for the alternator on because we replaced it. sorry they aren't the best photos.

I believe if not mistaken the smog pump is run off a belt from the alternator only. Should be a double grove pulley on the alternator. One belt should run from the crankshaft pulley to the alternator. One from the crankshaft pulley around the water pump pulley and the power steering. One from the crankshaft pulley to the A/C compressor and idler adjustment pulley. The other belt from the second groove on the alternator to the smog pump.

I believe if not mistaken the smog pump is run off a belt from the alternator only. Should be a double grove pulley on the alternator. One belt should run from the crankshaft pulley to the alternator. One from the crankshaft pulley around the water pump pulley and the power steering. One from the crankshaft pulley to the A/C compressor and idler adjustment pulley. The other belt from the second groove on the alternator to the smog pump.

Eddie, You are right. doubler pulley on alternator. I have this set up in my 1985.5 5.0 EFI. I will go get a pic.

Please hold.

Eddie, You are right. doubler pulley on alternator. I have this set up in my 1985.5 5.0 EFI. I will go get a pic.

Please hold.

Well, no diagram in my truck either. It is coming back to me now, I had this issue last year, couldn't find a diagram online, belt was worn and couldn't read any numbers on it.

But i remember getting the belt at autozone, I think they just looked it up on the computer.

There should be a tensioner pulley to the passenger side of the ac pump then the belt goes down to the crank.

Please see part number in the "fuzzy vision" pic below

E4054A94-7DCC-4287-A4BD-7DAC56C0F121.thumb.jpeg.010da9bdb3ac5dc80e11ffb455274b61.jpeg

Does your truck have the rare upper side molding? I wonder if you have an 1985.5 like mine. Another sign would be no Schrader valve on the EFI manifold.