Bullnose Forums

Distributor cap and rotor

Haven't really looked at the carb yet other than it is a 2bbl. Haven't looked for a crank sensor.

Only male tower cap we found at O'reilly's was for an International 5 liter. And the button didn't match.

I found this cap just googling and looking at images.

This is the problem with out-of-date, unsupported, aftermarket parts....

Ok, Gary's redo of the pictures helped, that is not a Ford distributor, the pickup system looks like a GM HEI unit so it is definitely not original. If it still uses the DS-II box then finding a distributor in a junkyard might solve parts sourcing. Is there any kind of label, stamped or a sticker with a name on it?

Maybe? Looks like a vacuum advance but no hose out of middle. Every photo I have so far has some sort of obstruction. If this new cap and button sets I've ordered work, I should be okay for while. I'm guessing this odd cap is why they didn't replace it with the wres and plugs.

Soon we'll have to see if we can figure out what this engine came out of. The bracketry on front looks different from what I've seen of stock 302s. THe red cylindrical object on left side is the coil. And it looks like the one that comes with the A-team performance distributor kit. IT's a cheap electronic setup, so that may be where someone changed it out. Lots of good on this truck, but lots of questions too.

IMG_20210317_152114673.thumb.jpg.8c59065eebc428956a4d1893e23f0565.jpg

Jim, I am trying to remember if there was a small cap V8 GM HEI system, as it looks similar to the ones GM used in the early S10 pickups with the 2.8L V6. There wasn't room for the large cap style as the Citation V6 used, so GM used a divorced coil (E-core) and a tall cap as the advance was still up under the rotor. I see a vacuum advance diaphragm barely showing so it is probably some sort of aftermarket replacement.

Jim, I am trying to remember if there was a small cap V8 GM HEI system, as it looks similar to the ones GM used in the early S10 pickups with the 2.8L V6. There wasn't room for the large cap style as the Citation V6 used, so GM used a divorced coil (E-core) and a tall cap as the advance was still up under the rotor. I see a vacuum advance diaphragm barely showing so it is probably some sort of aftermarket replacement.

Bill, that red coil is definitely cylindrical....

Maybe? Looks like a vacuum advance but no hose out of middle. Every photo I have so far has some sort of obstruction. If this new cap and button sets I've ordered work, I should be okay for while. I'm guessing this odd cap is why they didn't replace it with the wres and plugs.

Soon we'll have to see if we can figure out what this engine came out of. The bracketry on front looks different from what I've seen of stock 302s. THe red cylindrical object on left side is the coil. And it looks like the one that comes with the A-team performance distributor kit. IT's a cheap electronic setup, so that may be where someone changed it out. Lots of good on this truck, but lots of questions too.

That's a good view of the vacuum advance, hose is on the side, top of the can, which is not Ford, but not abnormal for many others.

This may be an issue for a long time as more parts are made and sold thru Amazon and ebay. Parts that have no identifiable history. And then a vehicle sold to another and another owner. Kinda like hot rodding and chasing parts you have no idea on.

but I was able to find what appears to be the replacement parts and I'll have it noted on spreadsheet. IF this cap works, they have 470 more in stock on website. So that's a good thing for now. I'm betting SW PErformance is the importer of these units. The truck runs great, even with the cracked cap. But I really want to get new cap and try to keep all the lightning in the cap and wires.

Anybody here watch Vice Grip Garage on Youtube? This is his kind of project it would seem. And kinda my inspiration to buy/build on this truck. Save it and use it. MAy never be as nice as what you guys have, but has potential to outlast me.

Ok, Gary's redo of the pictures helped, that is not a Ford distributor, the pickup system looks like a GM HEI unit so it is definitely not original. If it still uses the DS-II box then finding a distributor in a junkyard might solve parts sourcing. Is there any kind of label, stamped or a sticker with a name on it?

IN this photo on far right bottom are two boxes. What I've noticed is one is unplugged. This could be the electronic boxes that need to be identified. I'll try to get some isolated photos of the ignition components tonight if the weather isn't too bad. I wish I could get photos of the distributor internals that the cap matches to.

IMG_20210313_152958062.thumb.jpg.84935862ecb98a7af12421b21a575feb.jpg

IN this photo on far right bottom are two boxes. What I've noticed is one is unplugged. This could be the electronic boxes that need to be identified. I'll try to get some isolated photos of the ignition components tonight if the weather isn't too bad. I wish I could get photos of the distributor internals that the cap matches to.

Here is what I think it *Might* be. I'll need to look more closely. So long as it works (it does so far), I"m happy with it.

https://swperformanceparts.com/product/r2r6702bl/

Here is what I think it *Might* be. I'll need to look more closely. So long as it works (it does so far), I"m happy with it.

https://swperformanceparts.com/product/r2r6702bl/

Yep - GM/HEI with external coil. Now that you know what it is and how it differs from stock when looking for parts - if it works, it works :nabble_smiley_beam:

That blue box is similar to add on speed control modules