Bullnose Forums

Distributor cap and rotor

So I didn't notice when we looked at truck and it runs fine. But this is my cap and rotor. Try to find this one at your local parts store.

IMG_20210317_185003995.thumb.jpg.953fd56e40bbcda83c9a22219738c301.jpg

IMG_20210317_185031547.thumb.jpg.660635df2e1bbbe5e489daa0e8300ef9.jpg

This is some sort of electronic distributor that doesn't seem to be Ford.

IMG_20210317_185113868.thumb.jpg.f3a105d49d6768e63ee7080cee4cfd26.jpg

I did find ATeam Performance to look to be a match. Ordered from SW Performance. Ordered 2 just in case. They are like 19.98 each for a cap and button and free shipping. How they fit. But dang it, why can't parts be easy to find?

Randy, does your 302 have a VV carb and a crank sensor?

Haven't really looked at the carb yet other than it is a 2bbl. Haven't looked for a crank sensor.

Only male tower cap we found at O'reilly's was for an International 5 liter. And the button didn't match.

I found this cap just googling and looking at images.

Haven't really looked at the carb yet other than it is a 2bbl. Haven't looked for a crank sensor.

Only male tower cap we found at O'reilly's was for an International 5 liter. And the button didn't match.

I found this cap just googling and looking at images.

Can you get a picture of the distributor? The EEC-III caps and rotors may have a very strange looking cap with a double ended rotor with one arm lower then the other.

In looking at your thread on the brake booster, if that is indeed your engine, I suspect either someone used a non DS-II cap and rotor or that is an aftermarket (Accell maybe) distributor. The carburetor appears to be a Motorcraft 2150. While I am on this subject, what the PO did with the spark plug wires might look neat, it almost guarantees crossfire as Ford had a specific routing for the 221-302 engines, rather than 5678 routing, it was 7568 through the clips on the valve covers (big blocks such as the FE and 460s go 5768).

Can you get a picture of the distributor? The EEC-III caps and rotors may have a very strange looking cap with a double ended rotor with one arm lower then the other.

In looking at your thread on the brake booster, if that is indeed your engine, I suspect either someone used a non DS-II cap and rotor or that is an aftermarket (Accell maybe) distributor. The carburetor appears to be a Motorcraft 2150. While I am on this subject, what the PO did with the spark plug wires might look neat, it almost guarantees crossfire as Ford had a specific routing for the 221-302 engines, rather than 5678 routing, it was 7568 through the clips on the valve covers (big blocks such as the FE and 460s go 5768).

Try those image links in my first post - not sure what I did wrong so the photos don't show up. Cap, rotor, down into distributor. I have found a cap and button that look right - ordered two. So hopefully they will work and get here before the cap I have fails completely. Bad crack in tower 3.

Try those image links in my first post - not sure what I did wrong so the photos don't show up. Cap, rotor, down into distributor. I have found a cap and button that look right - ordered two. So hopefully they will work and get here before the cap I have fails completely. Bad crack in tower 3.

I just right-clicked your pic links and copied the link. Then clicked Insert Image and pasted the link in, but wiping out the "http" stuff that is already there. But your pics are too big, meaning over 1MB, for posting full sized. So I clicked Big Size.

IMG_20210317_185003995.jpg.ba6d600df86f9a21cf97d950f1b4d769.jpg

IMG_20210317_185031547.jpg.f3d0209d05e76bb9410095ed93adfb22.jpg

IMG_20210317_185113868.jpg.74b9cbf0358115f62f03aefe63d50b55.jpg

Ok, Gary's redo of the pictures helped, that is not a Ford distributor, the pickup system looks like a GM HEI unit so it is definitely not original. If it still uses the DS-II box then finding a distributor in a junkyard might solve parts sourcing. Is there any kind of label, stamped or a sticker with a name on it?

I just right-clicked your pic links and copied the link. Then clicked Insert Image and pasted the link in, but wiping out the "http" stuff that is already there. But your pics are too big, meaning over 1MB, for posting full sized. So I clicked Big Size.

Thanks Gary, lesson learned hopefully. I was doing that on my phone at home last night and it's a little different from the PC.