Bullnose Forums

New to me truck

You need to learn how to post pics on here. There is info on that at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu. But here's the one you linked to:

Ok

So that is where the EGR spacer is sandwiched to the intake manifold.

There is certainly a gasket above and below the EGR spacer.

You can see it.

It's #387295 S

Ok

So that is where the EGR spacer is sandwiched to the intake manifold.

There is certainly a gasket above and below the EGR spacer.

You can see it.

It's #387295 S

Thanks Jim.

I wasn’t too sure. I am having a hard time finding that gasket. A google search of that p/n has no results. I checked Napa yesterday and they don’t stock those parts on 1980. I’ll have to check Rock auto I think you can search p/n there. I wonder if the gasket could be part of a set? I have a full gasket set I’ll have to look in there, as I’m fairly certain there is nothing in the carb rebuild set. I soaked the egr tube in pb blaster last night. Hopefully everything turns smoothly. Worst case i make a gasket?

Thanks Jim.

I wasn’t too sure. I am having a hard time finding that gasket. A google search of that p/n has no results. I checked Napa yesterday and they don’t stock those parts on 1980. I’ll have to check Rock auto I think you can search p/n there. I wonder if the gasket could be part of a set? I have a full gasket set I’ll have to look in there, as I’m fairly certain there is nothing in the carb rebuild set. I soaked the egr tube in pb blaster last night. Hopefully everything turns smoothly. Worst case i make a gasket?

I believe the gasket used under the EGR adapter for the 300 engine is the same as the one used between the EGR adapter and the carburetor.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/SearchResults?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&searchTerm=Carburetor%20gasket&gclid=34d14a4e203815a99c312a1d57c9f9eb&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=34d14a4e203815a99c312a1d57c9f9eb&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=b_txt_brd_advance_core_gen_gen_all_rmktg_aap_us_ext&utm_term=advance%20auto%20parts&utm_content=Core%20Terms&isFitted=1

That looks like the one. Spacer to manifold gasket. Thanks!!! Now just have to get the egr tube off.

It is fel pro 60359. Thanks for the help. Guess who broke the egr tube. Your right it was me. Picked up some pipe plugs and need to use the vise at work to get the pipe out of the egr plate. Now the struggle to Egr delete or not. Think I’m going to get the truck up and running and make that decision.

It is fel pro 60359. Thanks for the help. Guess who broke the egr tube. Your right it was me. Picked up some pipe plugs and need to use the vise at work to get the pipe out of the egr plate. Now the struggle to Egr delete or not. Think I’m going to get the truck up and running and make that decision.

Got the stuck fitting out of the egr flange. Purchased proper gasket. Now the conundrum of do I replace the intake gasket since everything is off or do I put this all back together and see if it fixes all my vacuum problems. I did the smoke test and didnt have any leaks below the carburetor but the last 3 intake exhaust bolts were less then tight. I have snugged them up. In short I just want to enjoy my new truck for a bit before it shows it’s age again. Also advice/recommendations on any sealants or gasket dressing for intake or exhaust gasket replacement.

Got the stuck fitting out of the egr flange. Purchased proper gasket. Now the conundrum of do I replace the intake gasket since everything is off or do I put this all back together and see if it fixes all my vacuum problems. I did the smoke test and didnt have any leaks below the carburetor but the last 3 intake exhaust bolts were less then tight. I have snugged them up. In short I just want to enjoy my new truck for a bit before it shows it’s age again. Also advice/recommendations on any sealants or gasket dressing for intake or exhaust gasket replacement.

So, you are taking the manifolds off???

Better as a unit than trying to get them lined up individually.

These trucks came from the factory with no exhaust gasket, only graphite paste.

But the manifolds tend to warp from uneven heating because they are so long and skinny.

If you take them off check them for flat, and have them machined if needed.

I wouldn't recommend any sealants. But I do tend to soak the laminated exhaust gaskets in water prior to installation.

The steam generated when they first get heated creates steam that swells the gasket.

So, you are taking the manifolds off???

Better as a unit than trying to get them lined up individually.

These trucks came from the factory with no exhaust gasket, only graphite paste.

But the manifolds tend to warp from uneven heating because they are so long and skinny.

If you take them off check them for flat, and have them machined if needed.

I wouldn't recommend any sealants. But I do tend to soak the laminated exhaust gaskets in water prior to installation.

The steam generated when they first get heated creates steam that swells the gasket.

Im not sure if their coming off or not. I’ve been lucky thus far no broken bolts or any and I don’t want to go down that path just yet. However I’m assuming the gaskets are 40 years old And will likely need replacement and everything is out of the way with the carb and egr spacer out. Common sense seems to do them now. I want to be impatient and drive my truck. I’ll mull it over this morning if the lower bolts move with out too much persuasion I’ll probably replace it.

Thanks for the tips.

Im not sure if their coming off or not. I’ve been lucky thus far no broken bolts or any and I don’t want to go down that path just yet. However I’m assuming the gaskets are 40 years old And will likely need replacement and everything is out of the way with the carb and egr spacer out. Common sense seems to do them now. I want to be impatient and drive my truck. I’ll mull it over this morning if the lower bolts move with out too much persuasion I’ll probably replace it.

Thanks for the tips.

All 13 bolts came out without incident. Did the initial clean up of the motor and manifold surfaces. Had to pick up the little ones. Going to try and source some new bolts/studs tonight so tomorrow my 7 year old can help me reassemble everything. Any insights on bolts nuts studs washers is appreciated.

All 13 bolts came out without incident. Did the initial clean up of the motor and manifold surfaces. Had to pick up the little ones. Going to try and source some new bolts/studs tonight so tomorrow my 7 year old can help me reassemble everything. Any insights on bolts nuts studs washers is appreciated.

I think Jim uses stainless bolts.