Bullnose Forums

New to me truck

Hello. The forum has been an asset getting my truck going. I just put the rebuilt carb on and it fired back up and wants to run amazing. I found I have a giant vacuum leak between the egr and the exaust manifold. I cannot find a gasket that goes between the two. Does anybody know if such a gasket exists or if I should just use a high temp spray gasket and call it good? Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

However, you missed the email we sent you approving your membership. In that we asked that you go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an intro thread there. Why? Because we keep our guidelines there and want you to have a chance to read them because we hold everyone to them.

So, have you read them?

And, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a state/city or zip.

As for the EGR, it sounds like you left the EGR plate off. Yes?

Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:However, you missed the email we sent you approving your membership. In that we asked that you go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then post an intro thread there. Why? Because we keep our guidelines there and want you to have a chance to read them because we hold everyone to them.So, have you read them?And, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if we had a state/city or zip.As for the EGR, it sounds like you left the EGR plate off. Yes?
Gary-

I did read the guidelines. I Misunderstood the first post area. I have one I’m about to post. I am from St. Paul Minnesota. As far as the egr plate, everything is as it was stock, I have a leak below the plate between the manifold and the plate. I think it’s the intake not the exaust. 

Thanks 

Mike. 

A gasket isn't expensive.

And even if the surfaces are badly corroded, it's nothing you can't fix with JB-Weld and a flat file.

I’m not finding a gasket listed anywhere. Seems it’s another press fit without a gasket that Ford thought might last long enough. I didn’t have a leak there before rebuilding the carb, I didn’t want to crank the new carb gasket down until I new the rebuild went well. I’m going to try and loosen the egr tube on the exaust manifold and pull the plate and use a gasket sealer, the. Tighten and use lock or star washers.

Let me ask. Why is there a vacuum leak at the exhaust manifold?

EGR shouldn't be active until fully warmed up, and under light throttle.

In the diagram here we see what looks like a flare (or reverse flare) fitting.

9957253.jpg.7d04fefd10a395fbd7c8449c9beda5e0.jpg

So, is your problem that the nut won't tighten?

Or that the fitting that threads into the manifold (387285 S) isn't tight?

The flare joint itself shouldn't have any kind of dressing on it.

In the diagram here we see what looks like a flare (or reverse flare) fitting.

So, is your problem that the nut won't tighten?

Or that the fitting that threads into the manifold (387285 S) isn't tight?

The flare joint itself shouldn't have any kind of dressing on it.

10B19902-792D-41F9-924D-472E1F83B4AF.thumb.jpeg.575a3e2d163976f3f416665f545d4e21.jpeg

The leak is coming from where I circled in red. Could be I need to tighten the carb down more. I just went snug tight. I’ll get out there later and see if that works A new carb gasket is way cheaper then all the egr stuff I’m probably goin to break during removal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a gasket. Thanks for the diagram and the help.

10B19902-792D-41F9-924D-472E1F83B4AF.thumb.jpeg.8b6157f3354f9a125d6116ef496ec704.jpeg

The leak is coming from where I circled in red. Could be I need to tighten the carb down more. I just went snug tight. I’ll get out there later and see if that works A new carb gasket is way cheaper then all the egr stuff I’m probably goin to break during removal. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a gasket. Thanks for the diagram and the help.

You need to learn how to post pics on here. There is info on that at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu. But here's the one you linked to:

10B19902-792D-41F9-924D-472E1F83B4AF.thumb.jpeg.8b6157f3354f9a125d6116ef496ec704.jpeg