Bullnose Forums

Building a house (off-topic!)

Ford F834

Too bad you don't have a loader (or teenage son) to hump that backfill over the wall.

I’m basically finished with the inside of the trench at least… but funny you should mention that… my son just turned 29 and is going to come stay with us for a while. I will sure be able to use his help 💪

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you don't have a loader (or teenage son) to hump that backfill over the wall.

I’m basically finished with the inside of the trench at least… but funny you should mention that… my son just turned 29 and is going to come stay with us for a while. I will sure be able to use his help 💪

:nabble_anim_jump:

That's great! I'll bet it will be fun to work with him - in addition to having two more hands to help. :nabble_anim_claps:

• 3 months later...

That's great! I'll bet it will be fun to work with him - in addition to having two more hands to help. :nabble_anim_claps:

Well the building looks essentially the same… but we made a huge step forward today. The concrete pump placed 21 yards into the walls so they are actually walls now, not just stacked forms. I found a contractor who has experience with EF block, and hiring him was a really good decision. He and the pump operator did the actual pour, while my son and I helped tend the hose, plug the access holes, and all of the finishing and clean up. The process took about 3 hours. We started at 6:00am and it was already getting pretty warm by 9:00. The forecast is for 104*F today which is a break from last week’s 115*F. Still I am glad it is done and glad to be cooling off inside. Next I will shift to wood work for a while and build the floor.

IMG_9377.jpeg.71040703ff06c1ef4b708da89cf51e37.jpeg

Well the building looks essentially the same… but we made a huge step forward today. The concrete pump placed 21 yards into the walls so they are actually walls now, not just stacked forms. I found a contractor who has experience with EF block, and hiring him was a really good decision. He and the pump operator did the actual pour, while my son and I helped tend the hose, plug the access holes, and all of the finishing and clean up. The process took about 3 hours. We started at 6:00am and it was already getting pretty warm by 9:00. The forecast is for 104*F today which is a break from last week’s 115*F. Still I am glad it is done and glad to be cooling off inside. Next I will shift to wood work for a while and build the floor.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done!!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

While any progress is good, that is a major step forward.

Once you have the deck on you'll be able to set up some shade.

I can't imagine working out in Arizona in the mid-day, but at least the neighbors don't complain when you get an early start. 😉

Hottest outdoor temp I've recorded working out here on the gold coast was 138 on a black slate roof. (not the slate itself, which would blister you in a heartbeat, but shaded ON a roof plank)

I really feel for all the HVAC guys who are in an attic when someone's evaporator goes down. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Once you have the deck on you'll be able to set up some shade.

I can't imagine working out in Arizona in the mid-day, but at least the neighbors don't complain when you get an early start. 😉

Hottest outdoor temp I've recorded working out here on the gold coast was 138 on a black slate roof. (not the slate itself, which would blister you in a heartbeat, but shaded ON a roof plank)

I really feel for all the HVAC guys who are in an attic when someone's evaporator goes down. :nabble_smiley_argh:

The forecast is full of beans. It’s 115*F at our place again… only it’s more humid than last week. 🥵

I have already ordered a couple more shade sails like the ones I have over our streamline camper. They hold up to our microburst wind events. Now that the walls are poured I can anchor them to the vertical rebar and get some relief where I am working. I’m not going to attempt any more block until the floor system is built.

Unlike concrete where the weight is pumped in through a hose, the framing is going involve a lot manual carrying of lumber and floor decking. I plan to do that part at night!