Bullnose Forums

New Member New Build, looking for Direction

If he already has a POR'd supercab chassis and cab I don't think the problem is finding a 4wd diesel supercab. Just finding a diesel that would have the harness, fan shroud, rad support, engine, perches, battery tray, dash cluster, glow controller, etc.

I agree, and honestly the only things on that list that absolutely have to be bullnose are the core support, and instrument cluster and perhaps battery tray. As already brought up, the core support can be fabricated from a brick or aeronose one, and the cluster can certainly be sourced separately. Basically it’s the tach. If I were looking at donors I would be giving much more consideration to a truck that has a 4x4 overdrive transmission than one that is bullnose. Even if the front axle conversion had to wait, getting the transmission with the engine will really help the overall price of the project.

If he already has a POR'd supercab chassis and cab I don't think the problem is finding a 4wd diesel supercab. Just finding a diesel that would have the harness, fan shroud, rad support, engine, perches, battery tray, dash cluster, glow controller, etc.

I agree, and honestly the only things on that list that absolutely have to be bullnose are the core support, and instrument cluster and perhaps battery tray. As already brought up, the core support can be fabricated from a brick or aeronose one, and the cluster can certainly be sourced separately. Basically it’s the tach. If I were looking at donors I would be giving much more consideration to a truck that has a 4x4 overdrive transmission than one that is bullnose. Even if the front axle conversion had to wait, getting the transmission with the engine will really help the overall price of the project.

With that being said, what year trucks would you be looking for in my situation? I'm still planning on going to look at the 86' 2wd I mentioned, mostly because the aftermarket components it's already got peaked my interest.

I just found out today that I have to serve jury duty for the next one to three weeks, so that's going to slow things down, but I'd like to get the other truck bought within the next couple weeks.

With that being said, what year trucks would you be looking for in my situation? I'm still planning on going to look at the 86' 2wd I mentioned, mostly because the aftermarket components it's already got peaked my interest.

The 86 may be able to donate some good parts... but I would think about the following:

I’m not sure exactly which overdrive this is, but I’m thinking it may be the same as the Doug Nash / US Gear units? Regardless, I don’t think it is going to help you gain overdrive with a 4x4 drivetrain, at least not without some talented fabrication to adapt it to the back end of a transfer case. I have a Doug Nash that I wanted to use behind a transfer case, but even after the fabrication you run the risk of serious damage to the drivetrain without some kind of lock out to prevent engagement while in 4wd, or engaging 4x4 while in overdrive. All I am saying is evaluate whether this overdrive is actually going to help you.

On the Banks turbo kit, the earlier models with the square air boxes are not all that great. They are better than no turbo, but they are non-wastegated and have a large AR exhaust housing. The cross over and up pipes were also transmission-specific, so the automatic transmission pipes for the C6 truck are not going to work out for you if you end up wanting to run a ZF5 for instance. If it is the later Banks with the cone shaped air filter, that is a far better system. That one is at least wastegated and spools much quicker. It is useable with all transmission types, and the T3 flanged up pipe is great for building a custom turbo set up later if you want better performance. The late wastegated Banks sell used for around $1,000ish. The early banks kits sell used for $300-$500ish. Just be aware of what you are buying and what it’s actual value is. Check the turbine shaft for end play as well. If it has end play or excessive axial play the unit needs rebuilt and should be valued accordingly. None of the kit turbo’s are all that spectacular, but certainly an upgrade if you are looking for an affordable bolt on to help it out a little.

The truck is an ‘86 but I would not necessarily count on it being the original engine. Look at the block serial number next to the IP gear housing and see if it is a late block with bolt in piston oilers. If it’s a good runner and an early block that may not be a deal breaker, just realize that it cannot realistically be rebuilt since the oilers and tools are obsolete. They can be carefully lock-tite-d in place one more time if skillfully removed, but if the glue fails and one falls out it will ruin your engine. Not a risk I am comfortable with if rebuilding is part of the current or future plans.

B5B096AF-6EBA-49DA-8574-96978B0E1341.thumb.jpeg.03a776d9d82aa052f0e2adfa0162371b.jpeg

The 86 may be able to donate some good parts... but I would think about the following:

I’m not sure exactly which overdrive this is, but I’m thinking it may be the same as the Doug Nash / US Gear units? Regardless, I don’t think it is going to help you gain overdrive with a 4x4 drivetrain, at least not without some talented fabrication to adapt it to the back end of a transfer case. I have a Doug Nash that I wanted to use behind a transfer case, but even after the fabrication you run the risk of serious damage to the drivetrain without some kind of lock out to prevent engagement while in 4wd, or engaging 4x4 while in overdrive. All I am saying is evaluate whether this overdrive is actually going to help you.

On the Banks turbo kit, the earlier models with the square air boxes are not all that great. They are better than no turbo, but they are non-wastegated and have a large AR exhaust housing. The cross over and up pipes were also transmission-specific, so the automatic transmission pipes for the C6 truck are not going to work out for you if you end up wanting to run a ZF5 for instance. If it is the later Banks with the cone shaped air filter, that is a far better system. That one is at least wastegated and spools much quicker. It is useable with all transmission types, and the T3 flanged up pipe is great for building a custom turbo set up later if you want better performance. The late wastegated Banks sell used for around $1,000ish. The early banks kits sell used for $300-$500ish. Just be aware of what you are buying and what it’s actual value is. Check the turbine shaft for end play as well. If it has end play or excessive axial play the unit needs rebuilt and should be valued accordingly. None of the kit turbo’s are all that spectacular, but certainly an upgrade if you are looking for an affordable bolt on to help it out a little.

The truck is an ‘86 but I would not necessarily count on it being the original engine. Look at the block serial number next to the IP gear housing and see if it is a late block with bolt in piston oilers. If it’s a good runner and an early block that may not be a deal breaker, just realize that it cannot realistically be rebuilt since the oilers and tools are obsolete. They can be carefully lock-tite-d in place one more time if skillfully removed, but if the glue fails and one falls out it will ruin your engine. Not a risk I am comfortable with if rebuilding is part of the current or future plans.

Lots of good information there Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm interested in why you don't think engine perches and a radiator shroud aren't important for an IDI?

Sure, you could cut 'n paste the chin from a brick, but then you need the rad & shroud, entire exhaust (which would need the supercab extension) hoses, ect... that aren't going to come with 'just an engine'.

And while I agree that it would probably be more economical to get the engine and four wheel driveline in one shot, then you're into swapping column and pedal boxes to manual hydraulic, and at that point you're all up in the dash, stripped down to the firewall anyhow.....

Lots of good information there Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I'm interested in why you don't think engine perches and a radiator shroud aren't important for an IDI?

Sure, you could cut 'n paste the chin from a brick, but then you need the rad & shroud, entire exhaust (which would need the supercab extension) hoses, ect... that aren't going to come with 'just an engine'.

And while I agree that it would probably be more economical to get the engine and four wheel driveline in one shot, then you're into swapping column and pedal boxes to manual hydraulic, and at that point you're all up in the dash, stripped down to the firewall anyhow.....

Jim, the perches and fan shroud are indeed important, they just aren’t bullnose specific and could come from any IDI donor. Thanks for clarifying 🙂

Jim, the perches and fan shroud are indeed important, they just aren’t bullnose specific and could come from any IDI donor. Thanks for clarifying 🙂

Indeed they aren't.

Those could come from any Brick, Bull or Aeronose.

But the Bullnose specific items must be found or cobbled together.

Having a complete donor means having everything laid out for you.

Even if a hose is soft or a mount worn out.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n92240/B5B096AF-6EBA-49DA-8574-96978B0E1341.jpeg

Great info, thanks!

Regarding which banks system, earlier va later, can you tell from this pic?

Screenshot_20210325-1902042.thumb.png.9aad8bb8ec0f61df5aa0894d4629ea16.png

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n92240/B5B096AF-6EBA-49DA-8574-96978B0E1341.jpeg

Great info, thanks!

Yeah, that’s the newest (wastegated) Banks Sidewinder. I would argue it is the best commercial kit turbo for the IDI that exists. Definitely something you would want if the price is agreeable 👍

Great info, thanks!

I can't speak for Jonathan but that looks like a round air box to me. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

And if so, he says the turbo system is $1,000 in itself.

Plus at least a couple grand worth of parts along with the 6.9 itself.