Bullnose Forums

New Member New Build, looking for Direction

I would be looking for an '86 or later F350 4wd. That will come with the D60 where an F250 will get you the TTBs. But note that it needs to be an '86 or later as the '85 F350s had TTBs.

And I think you want single rear wheel (SRW) not dual rear wheel (DRW).

Thanks guys.

I understand a 86' F350 SRW 4x4 6.9 Extended Cab truck would be the unicorn for this project, but I've yet to see one.

Gary, if you don't mind me asking, all other things considered, and knowing that the 86' described above will be VERY difficult to find, are there any glaring differences I'm not thinking of that would limit my search to any more restrictive than 86-94.5? The bricknose option, while requiring more work, is likely going to be what is readily available. Going back to the need to keep the current interior, I'm not sure if there were any glaring differences among bricknose F-350s that would make any years better than others.

As far as the dash goes, I've emailed a couple of the previously mentioned companies that make retrofitted gauges and haven't received a response. I'll be calling this week to try to get more info.

I get what you're all saying regarding scope creep and having a project bleed me dry and appreciate the advice.

The over 8,500 gvw trucks didn't get things like crumple zones and such.

There were subtle updates to things like the harness and the 2wd 350 went from kingpins to ball joints.

Much more iterative than the massive retooling for '87-'88 when all trucks became fuel injected and got catalytic converters.

I understand a 86' F350 SRW 4x4 6.9 Extended Cab truck would be the unicorn for this project, but I've yet to see one.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong... but I think this topic has come up before and the consensus is that Ford did not make any F350 Supercabs with 4x4. There are a few random picks of such running about the internet but the assumption is that they were conversions. I’m not here to start an argument about whether Ford did or didn’t offer it, but if they did... they are that rare. This includes the Bricknose and Aeronose years as well, so I think you are unlikely to find a 155” wheelbase 4x4 chassis with a mono-beam front axle unless someone swapped it. If having a straight axle is a hill to die on for you, consider an RSK. If it isn’t, then consider a F250 TTB donor chassis with the right engine.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong... but I think this topic has come up before and the consensus is that Ford did not make any F350 Supercabs with 4x4. There are a few random picks of such running about the internet but the assumption is that they were conversions. I’m not here to start an argument about whether Ford did or didn’t offer it, but if they did... they are that rare. This includes the Bricknose and Aeronose years as well, so I think you are unlikely to find a 155” wheelbase 4x4 chassis with a mono-beam front axle unless someone swapped it. If having a straight axle is a hill to die on for you, consider an RSK. If it isn’t, then consider a F250 TTB donor chassis with the right engine.

That would make perfectly good sense as to why I have not seen a single one in the past year of searching locally, and currently can't find one nationwide.

Thanks for saving me a few hours of internet boredom!

That would make perfectly good sense as to why I have not seen a single one in the past year of searching locally, and currently can't find one nationwide.

Thanks for saving me a few hours of internet boredom!

I think Jonathan is right. I'd forgotten that you have a Supercab. (Maybe because you don't have a signature with information in it about what you are doing? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I think Jonathan is right. I'd forgotten that you have a Supercab. (Maybe because you don't have a signature with information in it about what you are doing? :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I thought is was 350 duallies that were available only as a C&C in 4x4?

Whatever...

I'd rather stretch a frame 22" than have to source dozens of expensive bits.

Haha, sorry Gary. Updated avatar and forgot about sig.

I'm going to try to look at an 86' 6.9/C6 2wd single cab this week. Truck has banks turbo and yukon over/under drive. Will consider this truck for possible swapping of drivetrain instead of body swap, as I'm considering the "phase 2" approach of waiting on a different solution in the future for 4 wheel drive.

Haha, sorry Gary. Updated avatar and forgot about sig.

I'm going to try to look at an 86' 6.9/C6 2wd single cab this week. Truck has banks turbo and yukon over/under drive. Will consider this truck for possible swapping of drivetrain instead of body swap, as I'm considering the "phase 2" approach of waiting on a different solution in the future for 4 wheel drive.

I'm looking at the 1986 Light Truck Book, which is the 3-ring binder Ford gave the dealerships, and the F350's came in Regular Cab and Crew Cab, and both could have 4wd. But apparently there was no Supercab F350 in 1986, 2wd or 4wd.

I'm looking at the 1986 Light Truck Book, which is the 3-ring binder Ford gave the dealerships, and the F350's came in Regular Cab and Crew Cab, and both could have 4wd. But apparently there was no Supercab F350 in 1986, 2wd or 4wd.

If he already has a POR'd supercab chassis and cab I don't think the problem is finding a 4wd diesel supercab. Just finding a diesel that would have the harness, fan shroud, rad support, engine, perches, battery tray, dash cluster, glow controller, etc.

If he wants to deal with 4wd down the road then the 2wd C6 can go, and a 350 donor can be sourced for the pitman arm down to get the steering, springs, straight axle, transmission, transfer case and front driveshaft.

That may entail swapping lift blocks and cutting down the rear driveshaft because of the transfer case, but niether of these are a big problem.

If he already has a POR'd supercab chassis and cab I don't think the problem is finding a 4wd diesel supercab. Just finding a diesel that would have the harness, fan shroud, rad support, engine, perches, battery tray, dash cluster, glow controller, etc.

If he wants to deal with 4wd down the road then the 2wd C6 can go, and a 350 donor can be sourced for the pitman arm down to get the steering, springs, straight axle, transmission, transfer case and front driveshaft.

That may entail swapping lift blocks and cutting down the rear driveshaft because of the transfer case, but niether of these are a big problem.

Good points, Jim.

Gary, and no factory 4WD in an F350 DRW.