Bullnose Forums

Glove Box and Ash Tray Light Bulbs

Some time back I ordered a bunch of LED lights to replace the incandescent bulbs in my truck. I order my bulbs from Superbrightleds.com. The bulbs that came out of both my ashtray and glove box look like the one pictured below on the top. The bulb on the bottom is what they sent me. Do I have something different than other trucks or did they screw up?

Ashtray_Light.jpg.035719bc8915c1920f9c7cd176e43a29.jpg

Here's what the 1985 owner's manual says for bulbs:

And here's a pic of an 1891 on the left and an 1892 on the right. They sure don't look like yours. :nabble_anim_crazy:

81Cdpc0hu6L.thumb.jpg.7dbd4c9a984033a57cbab69fb6f25231.jpg61toYCwtntL.thumb.jpg.cb3c55e4915ead6b62c7c9ba4866295a.jpg

Here's what the 1985 owner's manual says for bulbs:

And here's a pic of an 1891 on the left and an 1892 on the right. They sure don't look like yours. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I have ordered some LEDs lately. Tried them in my truck and liked them. Started looking into the different areas as in, ashtray, glovebox, etc., and found the book didn’t always agree with what was in the vehicle.This happened in the truck, Bronco and Xterra. Haven’t tried the Suburban yet.

I have ordered some LEDs lately. Tried them in my truck and liked them. Started looking into the different areas as in, ashtray, glovebox, etc., and found the book didn’t always agree with what was in the vehicle.

This happened in the truck, Bronco and Xterra. Haven’t tried the Suburban yet.

Anyone have an '86 owner's manual to check? Oh wait! There's one on that website I use.....

Hmmm, the '86 manual agrees with the '85 manual - 1891 & 2. Guess they are both wrong?

Let's see if we can figure out what really was used and I can make a correction in the manuals.

Anyone have an '86 owner's manual to check? Oh wait! There's one on that website I use.....

Hmmm, the '86 manual agrees with the '85 manual - 1891 & 2. Guess they are both wrong?

Let's see if we can figure out what really was used and I can make a correction in the manuals.

Well, John is showing a wedge base style.

Maybe closer to my '87? But I have a Custom without any convenience lighting.

Remember, these aren't polarized, so all diodes, and many LED 'bulbs' will only operate inserted one way.

Well, John is showing a wedge base style.

Maybe closer to my '87? But I have a Custom without any convenience lighting.

Remember, these aren't polarized, so all diodes, and many LED 'bulbs' will only operate inserted one way.

194 bulbs are 25 lumen

168 bulbs are 38 lumen

Both are the same size

My dome light is supposed to be 912 (same wedge style base, bigger globe)

912 is 151 lumens

921 is 264 lumens

All the above is for incandescent bulbs, as fitted to these trucks, but they fit wedge base sockets.

LED's are brighter (up to 8x brighter for a given wattage)

I can't say what aftermarket LED manufacturers are going to show for output.

So, I guess it's up to you.. how bright you want your glovebox

194 bulbs are 25 lumen

168 bulbs are 38 lumen

Both are the same size

My dome light is supposed to be 912 (same wedge style base, bigger globe)

912 is 151 lumens

921 is 264 lumens

All the above is for incandescent bulbs, as fitted to these trucks, but they fit wedge base sockets.

LED's are brighter (up to 8x brighter for a given wattage)

I can't say what aftermarket LED manufacturers are going to show for output.

So, I guess it's up to you.. how bright you want your glovebox

Thanks Jim. Either my truck is an outlier or an exception to the date of manufacture. We need some members with 86's to pop in.