Bullnose Forums

Fire Extinguishers

I know we've discussed fire extinguishers, but it doesn't appear we have a thread specific to them. So here 'tis since I need one for Big Blue.

I think I have a 2 1/2 pound one in the shop, but I'm reading that those are usually too small to do very much so I really ought to have a 5 pound unit. And I know that years ago when my mower caught fire the 2 1/2 pound one I had just slowed the fire down, but didn't come close to stopping it.

In doing my research I ran across the Element Fire Extinguisher. It is said to run 50 seconds as opposed to the 9 - 11 seconds a 5 pound unit does, and leaves no mess. Do any of you know anything about them?

Here's Jay Leno learning about them:

Out to the shop now and I discovered two things. First, the 5 pound extinguisher I have in the shop needs recharged. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Second, a 5 pounder is a nice fit in the cab corner, and could surely be easily attached to the end of the storage unit. So that's a reasonable option, and while it is initially less expensive than the Element unit, the latter never needs to be recharged and obviously these units do.

Here are a couple of pics showing how it would fit. What are your thoughts?

5_Pound_Fire_Extinguisher_Peaking_Out.thumb.jpg.2d8ff5151c8bc67ccb8055622b52338f.jpg5_Pound_Fire_Extinguisher_Mounting_Location.thumb.jpg.92e1f1ab9a38fb8fa271f7ac4700c26d.jpg

Out to the shop now and I discovered two things. First, the 5 pound extinguisher I have in the shop needs recharged. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Second, a 5 pounder is a nice fit in the cab corner, and could surely be easily attached to the end of the storage unit. So that's a reasonable option, and while it is initially less expensive than the Element unit, the latter never needs to be recharged and obviously these units do.

Here are a couple of pics showing how it would fit. What are your thoughts?

That is interesting! I’d like to compare that Element fire extinguisher to others like I’ve done in fire training.

That is interesting! I’d like to compare that Element fire extinguisher to others like I’ve done in fire training.

Yes it is interesting and would have been nice to see it in action putting out a real fire.

Now one thing to know about the dry chemical units is when installed in a car or truck as you drive down the road the vibrations pack the powder.

Now when you go to use it all you get is the blast of air and no chemical because it is 1 big solid packed block. That is why every so often you should remove the unit and shake it up to break up that solid block.

I do have to say I did buy a dry chem extinguisher and have not 1)removed it from the box, 2) have not shake it since I put it in the truck over a year now.

I should do that later and check the 2 I have in my garage.

I also could not find any 5lb in local stores guess you must have to go through a fire prevention store?

Dave ----

Yes it is interesting and would have been nice to see it in action putting out a real fire.Now one thing to know about the dry chemical units is when installed in a car or truck as you drive down the road the vibrations pack the powder.Now when you go to use it all you get is the blast of air and no chemical because it is 1 big solid packed block. That is why every so often you should remove the unit and shake it up to break up that solid block.I do have to say I did buy a dry chem extinguisher and have not 1)removed it from the box, 2) have not shake it since I put it in the truck over a year now. I should do that later and check the 2 I have in my garage.I also could not find any 5lb in local stores guess you must have to go through a fire prevention store?Dave ----
Dave - Amazon has the 5# dry chemical extinguishers as well as the Elements one.

As for the Elements extinguishing a fire, how about this:

Yes it is interesting and would have been nice to see it in action putting out a real fire.

Now one thing to know about the dry chemical units is when installed in a car or truck as you drive down the road the vibrations pack the powder.

Now when you go to use it all you get is the blast of air and no chemical because it is 1 big solid packed block. That is why every so often you should remove the unit and shake it up to break up that solid block.

I do have to say I did buy a dry chem extinguisher and have not 1)removed it from the box, 2) have not shake it since I put it in the truck over a year now.

I should do that later and check the 2 I have in my garage.

I also could not find any 5lb in local stores guess you must have to go through a fire prevention store?

Dave ----

I did Google the element and saw that and a few other videos on it.

I tell you I cant see buying a 5# for a car / truck because of room to store it, the vibration of packing the chemical and now not for the garage because it can lose psi and be useless when needed.

I do really like that extinguisher.

Time to talk to the wife and have her order a few, spread over a few months, to put in the cars, garage and house.

Thanks for pointing it out

Dave ----

Hmm... Not a big fire and he had to get close, IMO.

Dane - He did get close, that's true. But it worked.

Dave - I think I'm with you. The lack of packing the powder, meaning it'll always be ready, and the fact that you don't have to take it in to re-charge has a lot of appeal to me.

Still on the fence and looking for input, but I'm thinking of the Element E50 and the Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mount

Dane - He did get close, that's true. But it worked.

Dave - I think I'm with you. The lack of packing the powder, meaning it'll always be ready, and the fact that you don't have to take it in to re-charge has a lot of appeal to me.

Still on the fence and looking for input, but I'm thinking of the Element E50 and the Quick Fist Heavy Duty Mount

I was also thinking the E50 and the trucks ext. will come into the house till it needs service then get a E50 for it too.

I am sure the 2 I have in the garage are still good but need to check to make sure.

I have a 5# by the door from outside going in and the other just inside the door to the garage from the work room.

I would like to have one between the 2 bay doors close to the far side of the garage, not that I do any work over there, but if working just outside the bay door it is closer than the door to the work room.

Dave ----

update: my 2# in the garage is dead so only have the 5#

Wow, this is a topic I almost posted on the other day....Fire Extinguishers. After seeing videos of our trucks going up in flames, I have worked to make sure mine is not one of them. This began with the 3G swap. Not sure I like the current fuel line arrangement so may be messing with that too. May post on that in a bit.

What's your thoughts, Gary? Which route you think you'll be taking?

BTW, have a good place to put it now. This behind the seat organizer is built "Ford Tough"....LOL!!!! Temp install now, as I have a piece of carpet I want to put on the back of the cab.

Behind_Seat_Organizer.thumb.jpg.f53cb7eb1d4a23b434a29212dd870f58.jpg