Bullnose Forums

Battery Recommendations

The '87 up trays use a wedge shaped retainer 'shoe' and a 5/16 (8mm) headed bolt at the front.

When I had to change Big Brother’s battery last COLD winter, I discovered that I could get rid of the "plastic handle" retaining and use instead the bottom "shoe", the tray and the new battery were shaped so.

I understand that I am now equipped in the 1987+ way?

About the triangular plate bolted to the radiator support, what is the goal, really required? Part greyed out between #7 and #8 on LMC 1980-86 diagram…

Never saw it on BigBro

17D2A998-D8DC-4F87-BC25-E505A8515BAB.thumb.jpeg.343740c72414d147245219e233f54a08.jpeg

9DBDFB09-F4C4-479F-B7B4-ABAB21EB3525.jpeg.eebf93ba7da83df67d041619c641eccb.jpeg

The '87 up trays use a wedge shaped retainer 'shoe' and a 5/16 (8mm) headed bolt at the front.

When I had to change Big Brother’s battery last COLD winter, I discovered that I could get rid of the "plastic handle" retaining and use instead the bottom "shoe", the tray and the new battery were shaped so.

I understand that I am now equipped in the 1987+ way?

About the triangular plate bolted to the radiator support, what is the goal, really required? Part greyed out between #7 and #8 on LMC 1980-86 diagram…

Never saw it on BigBro

The 80-86 battery shelf fits beneath the plastic fender liner (with the retainer bolt ears sticking up through) while the 87-96 style is entirely above the fender liner, with a diagonal strut going to the fender and an inboard bracket attaching to the radiator support.

The triangular brace for the earlier style resists side to side shifting of the battery.

I know that there was a bit of discussion about them back when Gary was finalizing the dual battery install in Big Blue and he milled some hold downs from aluminum channel.

IIRC Scott was unhappy with the fitment of his triangular brace and was looking at part numbers because he felt it was wrong.

If you have the later style battery tray that grips the base flange of the battery there is no reason for the triangle brace.

The 80-86 battery shelf fits beneath the plastic fender liner (with the retainer bolt ears sticking up through) while the 87-96 style is entirely above the fender liner, with a diagonal strut going to the fender and an inboard bracket attaching to the radiator support.

The triangular brace for the earlier style resists side to side shifting of the battery.

I know that there was a bit of discussion about them back when Gary was finalizing the dual battery install in Big Blue and he milled some hold downs from aluminum channel.

IIRC Scott was unhappy with the fitment of his triangular brace and was looking at part numbers because he felt it was wrong.

If you have the later style battery tray that grips the base flange of the battery there is no reason for the triangle brace.

Right. But the problem Scott and I have is that our batteries don’t use the base clamp like most batteries do. So while we have the 87-96 battery tray we have to have a top clamp. :nabble_smiley_cry:

and there is the reason I use later model trays on modified trucks!

Right. But the problem Scott and I have is that our batteries don’t use the base clamp like most batteries do. So while we have the 87-96 battery tray we have to have a top clamp. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So what you're saying is it's only a problem with Optima (or whatever) batteries?

What are your thoughts about the greyed out unavailable triangle bracket?

Do you recall what Scott ended up doing?

So what you're saying is it's only a problem with Optima (or whatever) batteries?What are your thoughts about the greyed out unavailable triangle bracket?Do you recall what Scott ended up doing?
Yes, the problem is with the batteries we are using - Odysseys. (Can't say about the Optimas as I haven't tried one of them.) I've included pics of what I did below. But I think Scott 3D-printed something for his batteries, although I'm not finding what he did via a search.

As for the triangular bracket, given the way the Bullnose battery tray is supported it is probably needed. But I don't think they are necessary with the later tray. However, since I use Big Blue off-road I did use them on both batteries to ensure the really heavy batteries cannot move.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58935/Main_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd_%26_Installed.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58935/Aux_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd_%26_Installed.jpg

Yes, the problem is with the batteries we are using - Odysseys. (Can't say about the Optimas as I haven't tried one of them.) I've included pics of what I did below. But I think Scott 3D-printed something for his batteries, although I'm not finding what he did via a search.

As for the triangular bracket, given the way the Bullnose battery tray is supported it is probably needed. But I don't think they are necessary with the later tray. However, since I use Big Blue off-road I did use them on both batteries to ensure the really heavy batteries cannot move.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58935/Main_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd_%26_Installed.jpghttps://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n58935/Aux_Battery_Hold_Down_PCd_%26_Installed.jpg
My complaint was that the driver side triangle bracket for the aux battery looked crooked when I installed it :nabble_smiley_blush:Functionally it works though. Whether they are required or not with the original tray - I'd consider them highly recommended just because you never know what can happen and they are a simple piece to install that adds significant support to the j hook setup.As Gary mentioned, with the Odyssey batteries they don't fit quite right with the factory hold downs as they have a tapered stepdown at the top. I printed spacers to adapt the two.

For better or worse I used a nylon webbing strap for mine, laced through the tray slots... when I got it, there was no hold down, and the triangle bracket was removed (but found it behind the seat, not knowing what it was for until a lot later).IMG_20220218_175909a.jpg.d9a9e8002dbc51ec0bed851f1e2d63df.jpgA good part of my tray support is rotted away too.... but it works. My battery is an old (12/2017) ValuePower Group 65. Came with the truck, been a very good battery (made by Johnson controls like Ever Start and other brands).

For better or worse I used a nylon webbing strap for mine, laced through the tray slots... when I got it, there was no hold down, and the triangle bracket was removed (but found it behind the seat, not knowing what it was for until a lot later).

A good part of my tray support is rotted away too.... but it works.

My battery is an old (12/2017) ValuePower Group 65. Came with the truck, been a very good battery (made by Johnson controls like Ever Start and other brands).

years ago i decided to put my battery in a battery box with a lid like you would in a boat. it also uses a nylon web strap. that was probably 25 years ago and i do not have the rust issue in that area that many do. might be a thing. i dont know.