Bullnose Forums

Battery Recommendations

For sure and hopefully even longer!

Can I share a bit of battery trivia?

My father drove a 1963 VW Beetle. He was a chemist and had access to distilled water and used it to replenish the cells [long before low maintenance batteries]. Keep in mind that the Beetle battery was mounted under the rear seat, away from engine heat and vibration. In 1978, the car failed to start. The battery was removed [it had the original Wolfsburg Crest emblem on the case] and taken to Sears for a replacement. Two or three days later, the car failed to start, again. At this time it was determined that the braided ground strap has corroded, which was the problem.

Dad rushed to Sears to retrieve the original battery [he felt that he had deserted a friend], but it was already gone. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Can I share a bit of battery trivia?

My father drove a 1963 VW Beetle. He was a chemist and had access to distilled water and used it to replenish the cells [long before low maintenance batteries]. Keep in mind that the Beetle battery was mounted under the rear seat, away from engine heat and vibration. In 1978, the car failed to start. The battery was removed [it had the original Wolfsburg Crest emblem on the case] and taken to Sears for a replacement. Two or three days later, the car failed to start, again. At this time it was determined that the braided ground strap has corroded, which was the problem.

Dad rushed to Sears to retrieve the original battery [he felt that he had deserted a friend], but it was already gone. :nabble_smiley_sad:

That's a neat story David though it is sad about the battery - we can all relate to the 'friend' feeling on stuff like that.

That's a neat story David though it is sad about the battery - we can all relate to the 'friend' feeling on stuff like that.

The Germans were big on having the battery under the rear seat. We had an Audi 100LS in the 70's and it had the battery there. (Speaking of that car, Consumer Report said don't buy it as these things could go wrong. And every one of them did. I fully agree with this statement on The Classic Car Journal: "I owned a 1971 Audi 100 LS, a two-door sedan, and to this day it remains the best and worst car I’ve ever owned.")

Anyway, that's a good story, David. And a good remembrance of your father. :nabble_smiley_good:

The Germans were big on having the battery under the rear seat. We had an Audi 100LS in the 70's and it had the battery there. (Speaking of that car, Consumer Report said don't buy it as these things could go wrong. And every one of them did. I fully agree with this statement on The Classic Car Journal: "I owned a 1971 Audi 100 LS, a two-door sedan, and to this day it remains the best and worst car I’ve ever owned.")

Anyway, that's a good story, David. And a good remembrance of your father. :nabble_smiley_good:

The few batteries I have bought have been from Costco, interstates. They work well, good warranty, good price.

What sizes can we squeeze into these old trucks? The one in my Bronco looks undersized..

The few batteries I have bought have been from Costco, interstates. They work well, good warranty, good price.

What sizes can we squeeze into these old trucks? The one in my Bronco looks undersized..

Good question! I've often thought the battery in my truck was undersized.

I have the later (above the fender) battery tray and I'm okay using a group 65 with the wedge anchor.

I'm sure I could fit a little bigger if I had a bail and J-hooks, but I'm fine with 1000/850.

(Group 27 are too tall and short out on the hood)

I have the later (above the fender) battery tray and I'm okay using a group 65 with the wedge anchor.

I'm sure I could fit a little bigger if I had a bail and J-hooks, but I'm fine with 1000/850.

65 is what I have used in all the other trucks also. With the bullnose tray it sits a little cockeyed so not what one would consider a factory fit.

I have a Group 31, specifically an Odyssey Extreme 31M-PC2150, in Big Blue as the starting battery. Dimensions in the link, but it fits nicely. And it has 1150 CCA's. But it weighs 78 lbs, so make sure you battery tray is good.

I'm using the later model battery tray, and here's how it fits:

BBs_Starting_Battery_Front_View.thumb.jpg.f47ce02ee0546e0d82949d1169c455a3.jpgBBs_Starting_Battery_Side_View.thumb.jpg.59bf41f1566385e1df8ea2bc45838ee8.jpg

So 12+" is a little much for the under fender tray?

It's actually the width that is the issue and it's not really a huge issue but did want to mention it. Where the metal tray ears come up through the plastic, the plastic is raised and the feet on the group 65 battery make it a little too wide. It's never giving me pause enough to see about trimming the feet or installing a spacer underneath.