Bullnose Forums

Battery Recommendations

As long as it fits! :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder why a group 34 was never offered by Ford (in the chart Scott posted)?

Maybe the original was a group 24? I believe it is almost the same as the 34, but 1” taller. I just picked up my new one this afternoon.

F459F1B8-8E3F-41C0-ACE4-24F41EC2F047.jpeg.30222ee29db18b274dac5aa078c59858.jpeg

As long as it fits! :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder why a group 34 was never offered by Ford (in the chart Scott posted)?

Maybe the original was a group 24? I believe it is almost the same as the 34, but 1” taller. I just picked up my new one this afternoon.

Corey, what specific group and size is your newly purchased battery? Any chance I can get a picture of it in you truck?

Am I correct that according to Gary's posted chart the correct group size for my truck is 64A? When I do battery searches for my specific truck on AZ, O'rielly's, etc, I get group size 56.

Corey, what specific group and size is your newly purchased battery? Any chance I can get a picture of it in you truck?

Am I correct that according to Gary's posted chart the correct group size for my truck is 64A? When I do battery searches for my specific truck on AZ, O'rielly's, etc, I get group size 56.

John - I see 24F, 56, 61, 62, 63, 64, & 64A as optional batteries. Any one of them will fit, and some have more CCA's than others.

batteries_orig.thumb.jpg.34673bdc2185da971864db76d097e322.jpg

Thanks Gary. Guess I'm not reading into that chart correctly.

I'm looking at the dates, and if it says "80/" the "/" means "to the end of the catalog", which is 1989. Then I look at Cyl & CID, where with the exception of the IDI I'm finding "6&8" and "all", so they fit everything.

John,

Ignore my post on the Ford Motorcraft battery....I returned it this morning, and bought a different one. I know nothing about batteries, and haven't had to purchase a new one in I'm sure 10+ years. The one that was in my '84 was a 34/78DT, and it fit great. I swapped it over to my 1980 truck, and it fit in there great also...the clamp and J-hooks fit it perfectly.

So I went to the Ford dealer, and they sold me the recommended battery for the truck...and I'm sorry but I don't remember what group# it was, but it was a solid inch larger than my 34/78DT in every direction...inch wider, inch taller, and an inch longer (or so it seemed). That one seemed way too big and my hold-down wouldn't fit it or anything, so I returned it and asked for a group 34 battery...which was the BXT-34B (I think?), and I didn't realize until I got it home that the terminals were on opposite sides...lol, so this morning I returned THAT one.

What I learned was that my pre-existing 34/78DT battery is a group 34 "Universal"...the terminal posts are in the middle of the battery, instead of offset to one side or the other. So I tried a couple auto parts shops, and Napa had a few different ones in-stock, and I ended up with another 34/78 Universal fit...see below. The posts are in the middle, and it fits my hold-down bracket properly.

I don't know what is supposed to be in the truck, but this size/power battery seems to have more than enough CCA for my needs, and I now have the same size on both trucks, and they seem to fit well in the tray with the hold-down, etc.

IMG_4043.jpg.f280689b10205e75c0087486a0129e79.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg.a1071842875c1a3df3d22993bdffdfe2.jpg

IMG_4044.jpg.46bf4eede1318a84960bcdb67acc4a30.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg.4257724c3253e0f8280dbaed431c769c.jpg

John,

Ignore my post on the Ford Motorcraft battery....I returned it this morning, and bought a different one. I know nothing about batteries, and haven't had to purchase a new one in I'm sure 10+ years. The one that was in my '84 was a 34/78DT, and it fit great. I swapped it over to my 1980 truck, and it fit in there great also...the clamp and J-hooks fit it perfectly.

So I went to the Ford dealer, and they sold me the recommended battery for the truck...and I'm sorry but I don't remember what group# it was, but it was a solid inch larger than my 34/78DT in every direction...inch wider, inch taller, and an inch longer (or so it seemed). That one seemed way too big and my hold-down wouldn't fit it or anything, so I returned it and asked for a group 34 battery...which was the BXT-34B (I think?), and I didn't realize until I got it home that the terminals were on opposite sides...lol, so this morning I returned THAT one.

What I learned was that my pre-existing 34/78DT battery is a group 34 "Universal"...the terminal posts are in the middle of the battery, instead of offset to one side or the other. So I tried a couple auto parts shops, and Napa had a few different ones in-stock, and I ended up with another 34/78 Universal fit...see below. The posts are in the middle, and it fits my hold-down bracket properly.

I don't know what is supposed to be in the truck, but this size/power battery seems to have more than enough CCA for my needs, and I now have the same size on both trucks, and they seem to fit well in the tray with the hold-down, etc.

Corey, your battery either sits lower than mine or my AZ battery is taller than the one you purchased. Look at my picture above and note the bracket from the header panel to my battery hold down and compare it to yours? If you don't follow me, I can better illustrate.

Corey, your battery either sits lower than mine or my AZ battery is taller than the one you purchased. Look at my picture above and note the bracket from the header panel to my battery hold down and compare it to yours? If you don't follow me, I can better illustrate.

Yes sir I know what you mean. I think the Group #24 battery is the same size as mine except it is 1” taller?