Bullnose Forums

Battery Recommendations

It's actually the width that is the issue and it's not really a huge issue but did want to mention it. Where the metal tray ears come up through the plastic, the plastic is raised and the feet on the group 65 battery make it a little too wide. It's never giving me pause enough to see about trimming the feet or installing a spacer underneath.

There are skinnier batteries....

Or you could get a Bricknose tray from LMC. 💡

They don't get destroyed from eating all the salt thrown up by the tire.

There are skinnier batteries....

Or you could get a Bricknose tray from LMC. 💡

They don't get destroyed from eating all the salt thrown up by the tire.

Yeah, it's not a big deal to me. You'd mentioned group 65 so before someone goes out and gets one for a Bullnose I wanted to provide how they fit :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, it's not a big deal to me. You'd mentioned group 65 so before someone goes out and gets one for a Bullnose I wanted to provide how they fit :nabble_smiley_good:

This chart looks like it'd be useful for this: https://raybuck.com/automotive-battery-dimensions/

Note: "Any hold-down flanges at the bottom of a battery are not included in these measurements."

John - do you know what is in your truck now?

I appreciate you keeping me honest, Scott! :nabble_smiley_wink:

48 seems to be 5/8 narrower but the same height and length.

Your chart doesn't say anything about terminal configurations...

Though I'm a bit surprised Ford used a such a narrow tray.

I wonder what Ford were using for their winter prepped "Plow Package" and diesels sold to DSO's in Alaska and prairie Canada?

I appreciate you keeping me honest, Scott! :nabble_smiley_wink:

48 seems to be 5/8 narrower but the same height and length.

Your chart doesn't say anything about terminal configurations...

Though I'm a bit surprised Ford used a such a narrow tray.

I wonder what Ford were using for their winter prepped "Plow Package" and diesels sold to DSO's in Alaska and prairie Canada?

Good question.

Taken from doc:

batteries.thumb.png.34e58df011fbf91b9196f800a1bb223d.png

I know it's not the options you listed but for the diesel we are looking at Motorcraft 27 / 715CCA with a width of 6-27/32.

Raybuck shows 27 at 6-13/16 so close enough

Raybuck shows 65 at 7-1/2

I have a ValuePower, Interstate, and Everstart (all Group 65) on the bench right now hooked up to tenders that I can measure tomorrow to get the with and without feet width measurement. Also have the 85 F250 in the shop without a battery to get the max width between the ridges.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the 65 even with the Bullnose tray. The 86 would still have a 65 in it if I hadn't needed to get a matched pair.

Good question.

Taken from doc:

I know it's not the options you listed but for the diesel we are looking at Motorcraft 27 / 715CCA with a width of 6-27/32.

Raybuck shows 27 at 6-13/16 so close enough

Raybuck shows 65 at 7-1/2

I have a ValuePower, Interstate, and Everstart (all Group 65) on the bench right now hooked up to tenders that I can measure tomorrow to get the with and without feet width measurement. Also have the 85 F250 in the shop without a battery to get the max width between the ridges.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the 65 even with the Bullnose tray. The 86 would still have a 65 in it if I hadn't needed to get a matched pair.

Well, look at that!

A 27 will fit the under fender battery tray without hitting the hood. :nabble_anim_confused:

It seems crazy that there is a battery down at 310 CCA and "Super Heavy Duty" starts at 400.

Never realized that an old rocking pole style starter could function with such tiny draw.

It also shows how far "maintenance free" (aka, acid sealed to avoid lawsuits) batteries have come in 40 years.

I love that cell chemistry is finally taking off.

Volta used lead/acid 400 years ago, and there's some evidence of cells dating back to the Egyptians.

(But I think that was more for lead pigment than 'ancient aliens')

Well, look at that!

A 27 will fit the under fender battery tray without hitting the hood. :nabble_anim_confused:

It seems crazy that there is a battery down at 310 CCA and "Super Heavy Duty" starts at 400.

Never realized that an old rocking pole style starter could function with such tiny draw.

It also shows how far "maintenance free" (aka, acid sealed to avoid lawsuits) batteries have come in 40 years.

I love that cell chemistry is finally taking off.

Volta used lead/acid 400 years ago, and there's some evidence of cells dating back to the Egyptians.

(But I think that was more for lead pigment than 'ancient aliens')

I dropped by the dealer today to get a new battery, and they gave me this huge monstrosity that didn't even fit my battery tray/top clamp. The truck had a group 34 battery in it, so according to my searches the Motorcraft p/n I needed was a BXT-34B, which was not available at any of the Ford dealers around here. They did find a BXT-34A at a dealer about 60 miles away, and they were going to bring it in for me...I guess it is the previous version, although I have no idea what is different about it. As long as it physically fits, I guess I'm happy. The Group 34 battery that was in it was working just fine since I've owned the truck.

I dropped by the dealer today to get a new battery, and they gave me this huge monstrosity that didn't even fit my battery tray/top clamp. The truck had a group 34 battery in it, so according to my searches the Motorcraft p/n I needed was a BXT-34B, which was not available at any of the Ford dealers around here. They did find a BXT-34A at a dealer about 60 miles away, and they were going to bring it in for me...I guess it is the previous version, although I have no idea what is different about it. As long as it physically fits, I guess I'm happy. The Group 34 battery that was in it was working just fine since I've owned the truck.

As long as it fits! :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder why a group 34 was never offered by Ford (in the chart Scott posted)?

This chart looks like it'd be useful for this: https://raybuck.com/automotive-battery-dimensions/

Note: "Any hold-down flanges at the bottom of a battery are not included in these measurements."

Scott, see photo below. Not sure what group it is but as I recall it's the same size as the OEM unit. Battery measures ~ 10.0"x5.5"x7.5". Basically, it's the battery Autozone pulls up as my replacement. Purchase date was 8/2015 so I'm just prepping for a new one.

Battery.jpg.aead74ec6bcfa5a17f840b20e7457f29.jpg

Scott, see photo below. Not sure what group it is but as I recall it's the same size as the OEM unit. Battery measures ~ 10.0"x5.5"x7.5". Basically, it's the battery Autozone pulls up as my replacement. Purchase date was 8/2015 so I'm just prepping for a new one.

20 2/2"!!!?

That's huge

Sounds like it belongs in a Mercedes!

Edit:. I see '95' on there....