Bullnose Forums

Where to buy: Charcoal Vinyl Dye/Paint

I know. I had to be a bit subjective in ID'ing where to pick the color from.

I'm just trying to avoid blowing $23 on possibly bad paint...

Door panels and armrests came in (the latter on Monday, actually)... and finally got to ordering some SEM Bumper Coater 39153. Looking at the inside of one of the old armrest skins (it was rusted out, so peeling it apart was easy), the color seems to be pretty close to what I remember later Ford bumper trim being (heck, might even be the same plastic as the existing panels).

Should be at O'Reilly by Friday morning. Then we shall see if this works.

Door panels and armrests came in (the latter on Monday, actually)... and finally got to ordering some SEM Bumper Coater 39153. Looking at the inside of one of the old armrest skins (it was rusted out, so peeling it apart was easy), the color seems to be pretty close to what I remember later Ford bumper trim being (heck, might even be the same plastic as the existing panels).

Should be at O'Reilly by Friday morning. Then we shall see if this works.

Got the bumper coater. just got done spraying panels, color wise, it's a good match indeed. Dries quick too... the raw panels seem to soak it up (which makes sense, given the solvents used on the label).

I'll post pics when all is done (coater dried to handling, and trim installed and on the truck). We'll see on longevity (especially on the soft armrests)... but so far, so good.

Got the bumper coater. just got done spraying panels, color wise, it's a good match indeed. Dries quick too... the raw panels seem to soak it up (which makes sense, given the solvents used on the label).

I'll post pics when all is done (coater dried to handling, and trim installed and on the truck). We'll see on longevity (especially on the soft armrests)... but so far, so good.

After looking at other pictures you posted, I think your interior may be a different color than mine, yours being darker. As such, I sent in a part to Vinyl Pro and had them match it. Hope to get my paint this week sometime.

I promised you I'd get back on the color of the glove box opener.....strangely, it's really hard to tell what color it was but I'm thinking now you're right in that it should be the interior color, not black as I had mentioned.

Got pics, then proceeded to crash (at home) after dinner. So here's the pics:

DSCN0662.thumb.jpg.e812ba481d1849ba5e48f78842ae475a.jpg

DSCN0667.thumb.jpg.86bbe0d34d38b5d478472a4e55d1d9c5.jpg

Comparted to the inside of the old armrest:

DSCN0664.thumb.jpg.57c12e69b6198bb606372a28cdd59b56.jpg

Perfect match? No. But close enough for me; looks plausible for a new interior. If I ever do more interior restoration (new dash pad, etc.) I'll probably paint everything in the same bumper coater.

I'll have to redo the passenger armrest. Had issues with the install, and was too aggressive on freshly coated parts:

DSCN0670.thumb.jpg.daa273f39ea5fab18f91a5bd07ba360c.jpg

I didn't replace the vapor barrier or add any insulation/sound dapening, so the panels will need to come off again down the road to fix that.

Issues found (advice for those looking to use Dennis Carpenter door panels and LMC armrests):

-The door panels had a lot of mold flash on them, especially on the passenger speaker vents and driver's armrest panel mount hole. The latter I had to drill out; the former I had to carefully scallop out with a utility knife. I tried a deburring tool but it wanted to gouge the plastic. I've head that Noga's ceramic deburring tools work well on plastics, but I'm cheap and have a General branded deburr for metal.

-Dennis Carpenter didn't include the full qty of door panel clips (10 total, each panel uses 9 clips). Not a huge issue... I'll have to pull the panels again later (see above) and I'll probably order new clips for such

-The screws LMC includes with the armrests are weak and stripped/bent when trying to self-tap into the armrest's metal backer. I ended up using generic #8x3/4" sheet metal screws and washers (which I've used elsewhere in my interior to replace missing screws) which worked no problem. The LMC screws are fine for speed clips at least...

-There was no replacement for the door handle grommets. Mine were hard and brittle, so I didn't try to move them over. No biggie; this is a driver, not a show truck

-Didn't bother replacing the speaker fabric. For me, not a concern.

Otherwise, not much to say here...

Got pics, then proceeded to crash (at home) after dinner. So here's the pics:

Comparted to the inside of the old armrest:

Perfect match? No. But close enough for me; looks plausible for a new interior. If I ever do more interior restoration (new dash pad, etc.) I'll probably paint everything in the same bumper coater.

I'll have to redo the passenger armrest. Had issues with the install, and was too aggressive on freshly coated parts:

I didn't replace the vapor barrier or add any insulation/sound dapening, so the panels will need to come off again down the road to fix that.

Issues found (advice for those looking to use Dennis Carpenter door panels and LMC armrests):

-The door panels had a lot of mold flash on them, especially on the passenger speaker vents and driver's armrest panel mount hole. The latter I had to drill out; the former I had to carefully scallop out with a utility knife. I tried a deburring tool but it wanted to gouge the plastic. I've head that Noga's ceramic deburring tools work well on plastics, but I'm cheap and have a General branded deburr for metal.

-Dennis Carpenter didn't include the full qty of door panel clips (10 total, each panel uses 9 clips). Not a huge issue... I'll have to pull the panels again later (see above) and I'll probably order new clips for such

-The screws LMC includes with the armrests are weak and stripped/bent when trying to self-tap into the armrest's metal backer. I ended up using generic #8x3/4" sheet metal screws and washers (which I've used elsewhere in my interior to replace missing screws) which worked no problem. The LMC screws are fine for speed clips at least...

-There was no replacement for the door handle grommets. Mine were hard and brittle, so I didn't try to move them over. No biggie; this is a driver, not a show truck

-Didn't bother replacing the speaker fabric. For me, not a concern.

Otherwise, not much to say here...

Panels look good, and from the pics appear to match quite well. Bummer though on the oops. Anyway, well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Panels look good, and from the pics appear to match quite well. Bummer though on the oops. Anyway, well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

It does look good :nabble_smiley_good:

I was not to worried on a factory color match with the red as I planed to paint everything.

At that point if someone was to say it was not a match I would say prove it.

Dave ----