Bullnose Forums

What Is The Difference In Tailgate Mechanisms: Bullnose vs Bricknose?

I will.

But if I'm going there I'm going to pull the panel off and beat some dents out.

It is pretty much the whole inside of the tailgate.

It must be fun to fish the Bullnose mechanism in from the side!

Jim - Ok, but I didn't mean to cause you extra work. And "yep" on the fun.

Bill - I'd bet the mechanisms are the same but they just added an access panel to make it easier to install the parts.

Dane - That's a bit more "utilitarian" than I was looking for. I was thinking more like this, although I've not found one yet:

03878960-23QMS4VS.jpg.3263a58cb8280cf3e46af0dd30e82f7e.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim - Ok, but I didn't mean to cause you extra work. And "yep" on the fun.

Bill - I'd bet the mechanisms are the same but they just added an access panel to make it easier to install the parts.

Dane - That's a bit more "utilitarian" than I was looking for. I was thinking more like this, although I've not found one yet:

Holding right at freezing today

Supposed to break 50 tomorrow.

Maybe I'll get into it (and the radiator) then?

Holding right at freezing today

Supposed to break 50 tomorrow.

Maybe I'll get into it (and the radiator) then?

You’s guys are funny! Those hasps are kind of a pet peeve of mine. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Kind of like “it’s an easy fix!” Then why don’t you fix it? :nabble_anim_confused:

You’s guys are funny! Those hasps are kind of a pet peeve of mine. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Kind of like “it’s an easy fix!” Then why don’t you fix it? :nabble_anim_confused:

The last time I had to fix a problem those cheap locking hasps didn't solve, I added a security camera and wired a 60,000V neon sign transformer to the liquor cage.

Lit that SOB right up too!

Didn't *entirely* solve the issue, but created another layer of defense and positively identified the thief.

So, win, win for me. 😆

The last time I had to fix a problem those cheap locking hasps didn't solve, I added a security camera and wired a 60,000V neon sign transformer to the liquor cage.

Lit that SOB right up too!

Didn't *entirely* solve the issue, but created another layer of defense and positively identified the thief.

So, win, win for me. 😆

Jim. don't take yours apart, if he needs inside pictures it's supposed to be mid 60s here.

Left end of panel:

DSCN4516.thumb.jpg.72ef7d7da4599fe4e8bcfaed7a716f8d.jpg

Center of panel:

DSCN4514.thumb.jpg.be3a69f51008a42959795845e4996ea1.jpg

Width of panel:

DSCN4517.thumb.jpg.13826f786f16c343eb851b9ace8be990.jpg

Jim. don't take yours apart, if he needs inside pictures it's supposed to be mid 60s here.

Left end of panel:

Center of panel:

Width of panel:

Bill - Thanks! Never would have guessed it to be that big. Wow!

No, I don't think I need a picture of the interior as mine might be different than yours. And here's the best illustration from the MPC.

I submitted a question to Pop&Lock via email, so we'll see what they say.

I think what I need to do is pull to out a tailgate handle and see if there's a way to use the lock that I have to prevent the handle from being pulled up. If so, then the question is if there's enough room inside the tailgate to put the lock in. If so, can it go in via the handle's access hole. If not, how big of a hole do I need to cut.

Thoughts?

1980-82-tailgate_orig.thumb.jpg.95d0823b12dbc02b5217a2e2cd78f34d.jpg

Bill - Thanks! Never would have guessed it to be that big. Wow!

No, I don't think I need a picture of the interior as mine might be different than yours. And here's the best illustration from the MPC.

I submitted a question to Pop&Lock via email, so we'll see what they say.

I think what I need to do is pull to out a tailgate handle and see if there's a way to use the lock that I have to prevent the handle from being pulled up. If so, then the question is if there's enough room inside the tailgate to put the lock in. If so, can it go in via the handle's access hole. If not, how big of a hole do I need to cut.

Thoughts?

You're showing '82 & older from the parts catalogue with straps and bails, not cables and studs.

I have to get into mine sometime to beat the backhoe dent out anyhow.

You're showing '82 & older from the parts catalogue with straps and bails, not cables and studs.

I have to get into mine sometime to beat the backhoe dent out anyhow.

Yes, but the lock mechanism is the same. Here's the cables and studs, which doesn't show the locking mechanism as well:

1983-86-tailgate_orig.jpg.0495635b092f7123577ed6d42c783092.jpg

Yes, but the lock mechanism is the same. Here's the cables and studs, which doesn't show the locking mechanism as well:

Ok, I understand the '82 illustration breaks out 43-400 into mechanism, handle and screws.

I still think I'd rather lock the tonneau into the gate than have to manually lock both parts.

I mean it's all cool if I could leave the tonneau locked and use my remote on the tailgate.

But failing that, I'd find something other that a 'trigger lock' for the latch handle.

But then, you know that's how I feel about 90% of this exercise. So why should this aspect be any different?