Bullnose Forums

What Is The Difference In Tailgate Mechanisms: Bullnose vs Bricknose?

Ok, I understand the '82 illustration breaks out 43-400 into mechanism, handle and screws.I still think I'd rather lock the tonneau into the gate than have to manually lock both parts.I mean it's all cool if I could leave the tonneau locked and use my remote on the tailgate.But failing that, I'd find something other that a 'trigger lock' for the latch handle.But then, you know that's how I feel about 90% of this exercise. So why should this aspect be any different?
Jim - I haven't given up on the hope of an electric lock. I hope to look at a release mechanism I have today to see if I think an electric lock will work. If so, I'll explain here.

If not, then there's the potential of there being a lock on the handle itself. That's not my favorite approach, but it is better than nothing.

However, I don't see a clean way to lock the cover to the gate. I don't like the idea of the hasp, nor screwing into the cover. But did I miss something?

As for how you feel, I understand. But this is something that Janey wants. And now that I think about it, I realize it is an excellent idea. Not only because it gives us peace of mind with regard to our belongings when we travel, but also because it is a base from which to build for a roof top tent. And that tells our son I am serious. This truck is ready, so lets go.

Jim - I haven't given up on the hope of an electric lock. I hope to look at a release mechanism I have today to see if I think an electric lock will work. If so, I'll explain here.

If not, then there's the potential of there being a lock on the handle itself. That's not my favorite approach, but it is better than nothing.

However, I don't see a clean way to lock the cover to the gate. I don't like the idea of the hasp, nor screwing into the cover. But did I miss something?

As for how you feel, I understand. But this is something that Janey wants. And now that I think about it, I realize it is an excellent idea. Not only because it gives us peace of mind with regard to our belongings when we travel, but also because it is a base from which to build for a roof top tent. And that tells our son I am serious. This truck is ready, so lets go.
You missed that I said "rivet"! :nabble_anim_blbl:I'm not certain what (short of a hasp) would lock the tonneau and tailgate in a single action.And I think it would be nice to open the gate and have access without having to disturb whatever may end up on the lid.But, I keep forgetting your intentions with some farm gate/fuel cell/spare tire contraption.Obviously that could have a lip over the tonneau, keeping it from hinging up and lock in a closed position.So the gate can't be opened anyhow.Hell, you could make it so that you can't even get at the tailgate handle when the gate is shut.

Gary, you do remember the tailgate is removable. This means that an electric lock will need a disconnect in the power cable. Maybe make a nice clean, but sturdy cover for the handle that can be locked over it. One possibility that would give you a secure, locking storage area, one of these Jobox units that will sit low enough the cover can be pulled over it and if you have a "second story" of junk, put it on some heavy roll out rails to where it comes out to the tailgate area for access and ease of removal when not in use.

Gary, you do remember the tailgate is removable. This means that an electric lock will need a disconnect in the power cable. Maybe make a nice clean, but sturdy cover for the handle that can be locked over it.

One possibility that would give you a secure, locking storage area, one of these Jobox units that will sit low enough the cover can be pulled over it and if you have a "second story" of junk, put it on some heavy roll out rails to where it comes out to the tailgate area for access and ease of removal when not in use.

Jim - I did miss "rivet". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill - You are right that the tailgate is removable, so will need a connector. But while a cover for the handle would work, I don't think it would look good on the outside. And while secure storage inside would work I was hoping for just being able to drop our suitcases in and not have to worry about them.

I did get a note back from Pop&Lock this morning and they have nothing for our trucks. No locks of any kind. :nabble_smiley_sad:

So it is going to take some innovation. One approach would be a barrel bolt on each corner of the inside of the gate with the bolt going into the bed itself. That would work, but would be fiddly to lock as you'd have to open the cover, lock them, then close the cover. Having said that, I so rarely open the gate that I could leave them locked the vast majority of the time.

The more involved idea is to adapt an electric lock meant for an 87 or later truck. I have an old tailgate I don't mind cutting up as it looks like someone put a giant bowling ball in the bed and took off rapidly, bowing the thing badly. So I could cut a patch panel out of it to use on BB, and could section it so I could see how to get the lock in there.

Here are shots of the mechanism, closed on the left and open on the right. You can see how pulling out on the handle has pushed down on the arm. (It is hard to tell the handle has been pulled "out", but it has.)

Tailgate_Handle_-_Closed.thumb.jpg.c8d1eaa0236186d5903aa8c06381c373.jpgTailgate_Handle_-_Open.thumb.jpg.006b0b25bb7c579d1c95b49de44a2f5f.jpg

So what I'm thinking is something like this. With the arm of the electric lock out to the left under that pin the handle can't come up/out. It looks like there is enough room in the gate to house the motor, but I won't be able to tell w/o sectioning the gate that I have.

Potential_Electric_Tailgate_Lock.thumb.jpg.3224e615b17a6e1a1acaa4f9e6a62f77.jpg

Jim - I did miss "rivet". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bill - You are right that the tailgate is removable, so will need a connector. But while a cover for the handle would work, I don't think it would look good on the outside. And while secure storage inside would work I was hoping for just being able to drop our suitcases in and not have to worry about them.

I did get a note back from Pop&Lock this morning and they have nothing for our trucks. No locks of any kind. :nabble_smiley_sad:

So it is going to take some innovation. One approach would be a barrel bolt on each corner of the inside of the gate with the bolt going into the bed itself. That would work, but would be fiddly to lock as you'd have to open the cover, lock them, then close the cover. Having said that, I so rarely open the gate that I could leave them locked the vast majority of the time.

The more involved idea is to adapt an electric lock meant for an 87 or later truck. I have an old tailgate I don't mind cutting up as it looks like someone put a giant bowling ball in the bed and took off rapidly, bowing the thing badly. So I could cut a patch panel out of it to use on BB, and could section it so I could see how to get the lock in there.

Here are shots of the mechanism, closed on the left and open on the right. You can see how pulling out on the handle has pushed down on the arm. (It is hard to tell the handle has been pulled "out", but it has.)

So what I'm thinking is something like this. With the arm of the electric lock out to the left under that pin the handle can't come up/out. It looks like there is enough room in the gate to house the motor, but I won't be able to tell w/o sectioning the gate that I have.

I see you already found something like my link. Should have read this thread first.

No problem, Bruce. You were trying to help. The one you linked to looks a lot like the one I have. In fact, it may be the same one. Now to see if I can use it.

My only concern looking at it, if someone thought the handle was just stuck and yanked it hard it might open, but if it didn't it might jam the lock so it wouldn't move at all. I would definitely think about having access to the inside of the mechanism.

My only concern looking at it, if someone thought the handle was just stuck and yanked it hard it might open, but if it didn't it might jam the lock so it wouldn't move at all. I would definitely think about having access to the inside of the mechanism.

Yep, that's the only way it'll ever happen - access. I'll have to cut a panel out of the bad tailgate I have and then cut a smaller hole in Big Blue's 'gate. The panel will overlap the hole and be held in with fasteners of some kind.

The handle/mechanism mounts to the front edge of the tailgates with three bolts, so it seems to make sense to cut out the part with the three bolt holes and install the handle with the lock connected to it to the panel. Then connect the rods to the handle and install the panel to the tailgate.

Of course, that assumes there is enough room in there to get accept the lock, and that will take some measuring. But, maybe?