Bullnose Forums

Appreciation for hard work is fading, and old cars aren’t easy (Leno)

Yes! Very well said! And I really loved the bit at the end: "And while few of us will ever climb Mount Everest, restoring a classic car is enough of a mountain for most people. Give them some credit." But I'm sure that he really meant classic "vehicles". :nabble_smiley_wink:

Very true, whether restoring or restomoding as Gary and I are doing, he with Big Blue and Dad's and myself with Darth and T2K-CAR. There is a lot of work, sometimes a real, oh crap, what do I do now moment when something didn't go as planned, or you find a mystery leak. Occasionally you have a piece of electronic gear that the smoke leaks out of.

Very true, whether restoring or restomoding as Gary and I are doing, he with Big Blue and Dad's and myself with Darth and T2K-CAR. There is a lot of work, sometimes a real, oh crap, what do I do now moment when something didn't go as planned, or you find a mystery leak. Occasionally you have a piece of electronic gear that the smoke leaks out of.

I for one appreciated the parts in the article about the dirty work and the hard work. Doing some rough math, I've spent an average of I'd say 25 hrs a week working on my 1980 since August 2020. Probably works out to about 750 hours so far, and of that 750 hrs, probably 400 of them were wearing ear plugs AND ear muffs, a dust mask or respirator, safety glasses, coveralls (sometimes), and/or a welding helmet. Aches and pains, ears ringing, and blowing black dust out of my nose on Sunday afternoons...lol. You have to really REALLY want to do this stuff...

I for one appreciated the parts in the article about the dirty work and the hard work. Doing some rough math, I've spent an average of I'd say 25 hrs a week working on my 1980 since August 2020. Probably works out to about 750 hours so far, and of that 750 hrs, probably 400 of them were wearing ear plugs AND ear muffs, a dust mask or respirator, safety glasses, coveralls (sometimes), and/or a welding helmet. Aches and pains, ears ringing, and blowing black dust out of my nose on Sunday afternoons...lol. You have to really REALLY want to do this stuff...

Thanks for linking to that.

"Our appreciation or understanding of other people’s hard work is fading, and that rankles me."

Will echo the sentiment of how well worded the article is and just wanted to emphasize the part bolded.

Thanks for linking to that.

"Our appreciation or understanding of other people’s hard work is fading, and that rankles me."

Will echo the sentiment of how well worded the article is and just wanted to emphasize the part bolded.

Oh I can appreciate hard work and more over the skill it takes to do it not only on our projects but most everything. But I guess that comes from doing all the work myself as I did on my truck.

How about plumbers, carpenters, computer techs, etc. as I have done a little in each field.

What they say "don't talk till you walked in their shoes".

I also loved the car they had in the article looked like a Alpine Tiger - a go cart with a factory 260 Ford SB and a 4sp. Had a customer that had one could not drive it well as my boots were to wide to work the pedals, vary small pedal box LOL

Dave ----

Oh I can appreciate hard work and more over the skill it takes to do it not only on our projects but most everything. But I guess that comes from doing all the work myself as I did on my truck.

How about plumbers, carpenters, computer techs, etc. as I have done a little in each field.

I also loved the car they had in the article looked like a Alpine Tiger - a go cart with a factory 260 Ford SB and a 4sp. Had a customer that had one could not drive it well as my boots were to wide to work the pedals, vary small pedal box LOL

Dave ----

I'm into the 73 Bronco for about 173 hours, this is where I am. From this to this.

Lots of time still to come.

bare_frame.thumb.jpg.1dcd129fb91b5c6b9f65ca296cbdf3f7.jpg

Body_on_Frame_2.thumb.jpg.ba15887e780d3eb626aa640ae698aecb.jpg

Dave ----

The pedal box on those is narrow to fit the 260 in there. There are access plugs on the sides to allow you to insert the 13/16" spark plug socket (or, since it is an English car, sparking plugs). There were actually 2 prototypes, one done by the group that raced Sunbeams in the US and the other by Shelby American. Shelby's crew first removed the Sunbeam worm and roller steering gear and linkage an put an MGB rack on to allow the engine to sit back far enough for decent balance (the Sunbeam center link went behind the engine and the double ended pitman and idler arms allowed easy change from right to left hand drive).

The two prototypes were flown to England and Lord Rootes, who was in his 80s, took the two cars for a spin, and came back with Shelby's design and said "How soon can we start building these?" Sunbeam was at one time a big name in European racing and Lord Rootes was well aware of the history and heritage of Sunbeam.

When we lived in Virginia Beach, dad bought a 1963 Alpine, 1725cc with an overdrive, he found out the OD unit was trashed and ended up selling the car. Neighbor across from us had a 1964 Alpine which had a Solex 2 barrel, dad's had dual Zenith downdrafts on it, later models had SU and the Zenith Strombergs. Last vestige of Sunbeam in the US was the Plymouth Cricket, a Hillman Avenger.