Bullnose Forums

Fuel Gauge and Ground

Hey! I've got a junkyard $160 Horrid Fate welder. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

It would work just fine for tracking a bolt head down.

If fact, I'm about to go out and weld up some bed frames into storage shelf brackets.

But then I'd have to grind out the slag and porosity when I'm done ... but to be honest, I likely didn't think of that (or figured it wouldn't have held or caused some other issue). Noting it for future reference the next time I need to tilt the bed.

Hey! I've got a junkyard $160 Horrid Fate welder. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

It would work just fine for tracking a bolt head down.

If fact, I'm about to go out and weld up some bed frames into storage shelf brackets.

But then I'd have to grind out the slag and porosity when I'm done ... but to be honest, I likely didn't think of that (or figured it wouldn't have held or caused some other issue). Noting it for future reference the next time I need to tilt the bed.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm not gonna x-ray my tack. I just want to get the nut off the bottom with out losing my mind.

It saved my sanity and didn't damage the bed.

Win, win in my book. :nabble_smiley_wink:

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I'm not gonna x-ray my tack. I just want to get the nut off the bottom with out losing my mind.

It saved my sanity and didn't damage the bed.

Win, win in my book. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, those shelf brackets for the shop came out fugly but functional.

The 6 x1/2" studs are epoxied into the brick and I'll bolt (nut?) them to the wall tomorrow.

I know the UTS of garbage is garbage, but at least it will get all this maple off the floor and I'll have 2' x 16 of deeper storage on the top shelf.

I need more wire now....

Oh, those shelf brackets for the shop came out fugly but functional.

The 6 x1/2" studs are epoxied into the brick and I'll bolt (nut?) them to the wall tomorrow.

I know the UTS of garbage is garbage, but at least it will get all this maple off the floor and I'll have 2' x 16 of deeper storage on the top shelf.

I need more wire now....

Good going, Jim. But, what does "the UTS of garbage is garbage" mean? I assume auto-correct got you?

Good going, Jim. But, what does "the UTS of garbage is garbage" mean? I assume auto-correct got you?

Just trying to keep it 'family friendly' :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I hacked up a couple of bed frames I scavenged at the dump to make five shelf brackets.

A 40" angle against the wall with three 24" arms, 18" apart.

A 1/2" stud high and low will hold them to the wall.

We know this material is a couple of steps below rebar, though it's ultimate tensile strength is unknown.

It's certainly high carbon given its proclivity to destroy drill bits as soon as it heats up and cools.

It is no softer than a witches heart. (Like a file will skate right over it, instantly dulled)

But I've got no money for new stock and I'm pretty sure this stuff won't bend.

It might break, but thankfully this isn't a dynamic application.

I usually keep a bit around to make tool stands, carts and stuff like that.

Just trying to keep it 'family friendly' :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I hacked up a couple of bed frames I scavenged at the dump to make five shelf brackets.

A 40" angle against the wall with three 24" arms, 18" apart.

A 1/2" stud high and low will hold them to the wall.

We know this material is a couple of steps below rebar, though it's ultimate tensile strength is unknown.

It's certainly high carbon given its proclivity to destroy drill bits as soon as it heats up and cools.

It is no softer than a witches heart. (Like a file will skate right over it, instantly dulled)

But I've got no money for new stock and I'm pretty sure this stuff won't bend.

It might break, but thankfully this isn't a dynamic application.

I usually keep a bit around to make tool stands, carts and stuff like that.

Yup, I have some of that stuff laying around and use if every once in a while. And then have to sharpen the drill bits again. But it is strong, and your shelving should be stout.

Yup, I have some of that stuff laying around and use if every once in a while. And then have to sharpen the drill bits again. But it is strong, and your shelving should be stout.

I want to get a carbide edged step drill to better deal with it.

I end up using a die grinder anyhow, so why not?