Bullnose Forums

What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Bullnose Forum and Bullnose bible?

Gary, when was the forum started... maybe a couple of years ago?

During the same time frame, we have witnessed many examples of 1980 - 1986 trucks being sold on various sites. It used to be that we all joked that our trucks were worth less than what had been invested to bring them to where they were. It was stated that ~$1500 - $5000 was what these trucks sold for, depending on condition and geographic location.

Now, we are seeing these same trucks selling for $7.5K to $75+K.

:nabble_anim_confused:

David - My join date was August 4, 2017. So the forum has been in existence for 3 years and 7 months tomorrow. (And, by the way, we have 1,010 members.)

As for any correlation, I'll sit back and see what people say. But, I'd rephrase the question slightly to "What is the correlation between the recent increase in Bullnose pricing and Gary's Garagemahal Forum the Bullnose Forum & Bullnose Bible"??

The reason for that is because the forum and the documentation provide somewhat different types of support. In other words, we have 1,010 members on the forum, but yesterday we had 830 different users on the site. So we are serving a larger audience than just the forum members since it is very unlikely that most of the members didn't visit the forum yesterday.

Personally, I think there's two things that have happened recently, or have been happening recently, and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly, and some (many?) people are starting to come to reality with how much it costs to restore or rebuild one of these trucks. One has to also wonder how much, if any, effect all of the Covid restrictions have had on the market? Comments?

Personally, I think there's two things that have happened recently, or have been happening recently, and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly, and some (many?) people are starting to come to reality with how much it costs to restore or rebuild one of these trucks. One has to also wonder how much, if any, effect all of the Covid restrictions have had on the market? Comments?

Good points! The Covid point is interesting, hadn’t thought of that.

I read somewhere awhile back, either here or Hagertys newsletter that older vehicles are declining and this era is going up in some part due to people driving them in their teen years, either their first vehicle or their parents or grandparents vehicle. And now they are in a position, family wise and economically to afford to buy and/or fix one up.

The Covid point is interesting, hadn’t thought of that.

The only reason I mentioned it was that in my area last year, because people were not able to travel and gather, etc...leisure item sales went through the roof, and all of the local shops sold out of bikes, ATV's, swimming pools, etc. You could not buy this stuff, at any price. I realize in the fair weathered areas, people can still drive Bullnoses on a daily basis, but anywhere in the north (USA north, or all of Canada) Bullnose trucks are mostly leisure vehicles and rolling projects, etc. Just thinking out loud, how many people bought projects last year because they were stuck at home due to restrictions anyway?

I know when I used to scan Craigs List, Ebay, Kijiji, and Marketplace a couple years ago, there at least seemed to be more "nice" trucks showing up for sale. Now, in 2020 and 2021, not so much (in my opinion). Less pickings is going to mean higher prices for the nice stuff.

Still, we're a big continent, and prices and availability can vary wildly by region...so as the motorcycle guys always say, YMMV.:nabble_smiley_whistling:

The Covid point is interesting, hadn’t thought of that.

The only reason I mentioned it was that in my area last year, because people were not able to travel and gather, etc...leisure item sales went through the roof, and all of the local shops sold out of bikes, ATV's, swimming pools, etc. You could not buy this stuff, at any price. I realize in the fair weathered areas, people can still drive Bullnoses on a daily basis, but anywhere in the north (USA north, or all of Canada) Bullnose trucks are mostly leisure vehicles and rolling projects, etc. Just thinking out loud, how many people bought projects last year because they were stuck at home due to restrictions anyway?

I know when I used to scan Craigs List, Ebay, Kijiji, and Marketplace a couple years ago, there at least seemed to be more "nice" trucks showing up for sale. Now, in 2020 and 2021, not so much (in my opinion). Less pickings is going to mean higher prices for the nice stuff.

Still, we're a big continent, and prices and availability can vary wildly by region...so as the motorcycle guys always say, YMMV.:nabble_smiley_whistling:

You guys are forgetting the social media angle. Take a look at the Bullnose Facebook pages and take a look at the people posting. A large majority are under 30 years old. They may have grown up with these trucks like I did (my dad had six different 78-96 Ford trucks when I was growing up), or they may have a friend or relative who has one, and wanted one for themselves. But most of these young adults probably came across digital media that featured a heavily modified truck and decided they want one too. These trucks are now VERY visible online. Ten years ago, you had to weed through Google Images or browse around FTE or similar sites to see pictures of these trucks. Now, they're all over Facebook groups, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, etc. And all of that is in the palm of your hand, 24/7, 365 days a year. This brought our trucks to a much wider (and younger) audience, and I believe that has the most to do with why these trucks seem to have skyrocketed to popularity. The money thing is kind of a result of the popularity of these trucks. You don't see Yugos or Pintos going for $75k. You also didn't see these trucks going for absurd amounts of money ten years ago either. Either way, that's just my opinion based on what I see from my millennial viewpoint. :nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

You guys are forgetting the social media angle. Take a look at the Bullnose Facebook pages and take a look at the people posting. A large majority are under 30 years old. They may have grown up with these trucks like I did (my dad had six different 78-96 Ford trucks when I was growing up), or they may have a friend or relative who has one, and wanted one for themselves. But most of these young adults probably came across digital media that featured a heavily modified truck and decided they want one too. These trucks are now VERY visible online. Ten years ago, you had to weed through Google Images or browse around FTE or similar sites to see pictures of these trucks. Now, they're all over Facebook groups, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, etc. And all of that is in the palm of your hand, 24/7, 365 days a year. This brought our trucks to a much wider (and younger) audience, and I believe that has the most to do with why these trucks seem to have skyrocketed to popularity. The money thing is kind of a result of the popularity of these trucks. You don't see Yugos or Pintos going for $75k. You also didn't see these trucks going for absurd amounts of money ten years ago either. Either way, that's just my opinion based on what I see from my millennial viewpoint. :nabble_zipper-23x23_orig:

I have to agree the younger crowd is getting their hands on these bullnose, bricknose and aeronose trucks they are becoming cool again. I'm gonna be 30 this year but I've always been a fan of bullnoses way before they were cool.

I remember these truck used cost dirt cheap now they are getting up there one just sold for 97k but was in pristine condition.

I've noticed more bullnoses too around my town and I'm just glad my dad never sold "Big Red" I always tell him that I'm the best thing that happened to that truck :nabble_smiley_happy:

Glad the bullnose is getting the attention it deserves!

...and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly...

The inventory angle is an interesting one. As these trucks become more popular for whatever reason, there are fewer and fewer remaining for parts salvage to keep the driving stock on the road at lower cost. Also, and maybe this is more or less of a local factor, but scrap rates were very high ten years or so ago and too many of these trucks were crushed.

LD

...and one is that the inventory is decreasing fairly rapidly...

The inventory angle is an interesting one. As these trucks become more popular for whatever reason, there are fewer and fewer remaining for parts salvage to keep the driving stock on the road at lower cost. Also, and maybe this is more or less of a local factor, but scrap rates were very high ten years or so ago and too many of these trucks were crushed.

LD

Scrap rates exploded just prior to export tariffs on steel going to China.

And, although not even included, "Cash for Clunkers" destroyed a whole bunch of fully functional trucks.

(I'd nearly cry when they took a good running engine fill it with sodium silicate and run it 'til it seized again and again.. until it couldn't budge)

I'm looking forward to when these trucks -and all other ICE vehicles- are off the roads and illegal to own.

If humans still exist a couple of generations beyond that, at least this past 100 years 1920-2020) will be viewed as the most destructive in human history.

Scrap rates exploded just prior to export tariffs on steel going to China.

And, although not even included, "Cash for Clunkers" destroyed a whole bunch of fully functional trucks.

(I'd nearly cry when they took a good running engine fill it with sodium silicate and run it 'til it seized again and again.. until it couldn't budge)

I'm looking forward to when these trucks -and all other ICE vehicles- are off the roads and illegal to own.

If humans still exist a couple of generations beyond that, at least this past 100 years 1920-2020) will be viewed as the most destructive in human history.

This thread has many elements of my situation. My dad bought HBF for me in 1989 if my calculations serve correctly, so something I drove as a teenager...and in my twenties...and in my thirties. And I begrudgingly stopped driving it in 2009 because it would have meant a cross country drive when I joined the Navy. I might have driven it a few times on leave before the registration expired when I was in Afghanistan which was in 2011. In December, 2019 I conjured up the idea of getting an RV and HBF was going to be my tow rig so, eventually it was shipped out to me here in Maryland. When it arrived during the pandemic, RV prices had skyrocketed and some plans changed, so it's turned into a nice distraction and my daily driver, again!