Bullnose Forums

New Member, 1985 Bronco XLT "Betty"

jmar

Hey guys, thanks for all the input , its actually a 351W Carbureted, 4bbl, "H" code engine, and the vacuum diagram is still on the radiator support, so we have a road map to try and make it look like it should. Yes, the question, is if the inspector takes the air filter off or not.

Plan B would be to find an underground network of unscrupulous smog certifiers.....

I'll keep you posted!

J

Should add that I did find a factory air cleaner housing and snorkel for an '84 F-150 SLT on ebay, so step 1 is complete....

Hey guys, thanks for all the input , its actually a 351W Carbureted, 4bbl, "H" code engine, and the vacuum diagram is still on the radiator support, so we have a road map to try and make it look like it should. Yes, the question, is if the inspector takes the air filter off or not.

Plan B would be to find an underground network of unscrupulous smog certifiers.....

I'll keep you posted!

J

That it is an HO definitely puts you in the gross polluter category, but it makes getting your DSII truck back to stock MUCH easier!

4180 carbs are not cheap, but they are available. :nabble_smiley_cool:

You'll need the A.I.R. pump and associated plumbing.

Evaporative emissions control charcoal canisters, valves, etc.

Do you have the proper compliance calibration sticker on the drivers valve cover?

• 2 weeks later...

That it is an HO definitely puts you in the gross polluter category, but it makes getting your DSII truck back to stock MUCH easier!

4180 carbs are not cheap, but they are available. :nabble_smiley_cool:

You'll need the A.I.R. pump and associated plumbing.

Evaporative emissions control charcoal canisters, valves, etc.

Do you have the proper compliance calibration sticker on the drivers valve cover?

Not sure, I will look, thanks for the info!!

• 3 months later...

Not sure, I will look, thanks for the info!!

Well,

Three months later and about $4k and Betty is a legal CA vehicle, it can be done!!

All previous advice was correct, had to find a new CA Holley/motorcraft carb and all new hoses, soleinoids, charcial cannisters and put humpty dumpty back together again. Passes smog and DMV inspection, although I was very nervous when they were reviewing the vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator support.

Thanks to all! Now that she is legal, can start fixing everything else. The old 351W is running great though, seems to like all those HP sucking vacuum lines, much better than when the Holley performer was on her with all the lines disconnected.

and now I drive!!

J

Well,

Three months later and about $4k and Betty is a legal CA vehicle, it can be done!!

All previous advice was correct, had to find a new CA Holley/motorcraft carb and all new hoses, soleinoids, charcial cannisters and put humpty dumpty back together again. Passes smog and DMV inspection, although I was very nervous when they were reviewing the vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator support.

Thanks to all! Now that she is legal, can start fixing everything else. The old 351W is running great though, seems to like all those HP sucking vacuum lines, much better than when the Holley performer was on her with all the lines disconnected.

and now I drive!!

J

BTW - Old and hard to find smog parts can be found at "Help Smog Parts" in the Bay Area, and the rebuilt carbs can be found in SoCal at Tomco, but order a few of them, and send the ones back that don't work.

It took about 3 before one worked correctly. I guess they rebuild them from different carbs Frankensteined together, so the quality control is kind of lacking.

But my advice to any looking for an 80's Bronco that lives in CA, buy one from CA!

BTW - Old and hard to find smog parts can be found at "Help Smog Parts" in the Bay Area, and the rebuilt carbs can be found in SoCal at Tomco, but order a few of them, and send the ones back that don't work.

It took about 3 before one worked correctly. I guess they rebuild them from different carbs Frankensteined together, so the quality control is kind of lacking.

But my advice to any looking for an 80's Bronco that lives in CA, buy one from CA!

Congrat's!!!! Glad you got it certified! :nabble_anim_claps:

And you are right, if it is gonna be IN California it needs to come FROM California.

Congrat's!!!! Glad you got it certified! :nabble_anim_claps:

And you are right, if it is gonna be IN California it needs to come FROM California.

Good news!

I applaud your efforts and patience. Good to know it can be done. Interesting that it runs better!