Bullnose Forums

New Member, 1985 Bronco XLT "Betty"

jmar

Hello and thanks for putting this forum together! This is my first post 1970 fun car, I guess "classics" are catching up to me, I was in 7th grade when "Betty" was new....! Bought this is a family fun car that everyone could drive, my other is a 1960's land rover series, which doesn't go above 50 mph and you need to double clutch, etc.

Anyway, I have a long road ahead of me I purchased with my heart and not my brain, so need to get a Colorado car smogged in CA. Its pretty much original, except has a holley carb with a hot rod type air cleaner, most of the vacuum hoses disconnected and plugged.

Anybody know of a Central Coast Ca mechanic that knows there way around these things? Either San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara or Ventura Counties?

Much thanks,

Jay

IMG_0209.jpg.ad60e24b7f34ae985791ae61d1c8aae6.jpg

Jay - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

As for getting a CO truck certified in CA, I'm not sure that can be done. But I hope you can do it.

I know some areas in CA are more strict than others, so maybe you live in one of the less-strict ones? Otherwise, my very limited understanding is that only CA-spec vehicles can meet the standards, and then only if everything is on them and operative. I hope I'm wrong though.

Speaking of where you live, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if you'd like. Just need a city or a zip.

Jay - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

As for getting a CO truck certified in CA, I'm not sure that can be done. But I hope you can do it.

I know some areas in CA are more strict than others, so maybe you live in one of the less-strict ones? Otherwise, my very limited understanding is that only CA-spec vehicles can meet the standards, and then only if everything is on them and operative. I hope I'm wrong though.

Speaking of where you live, we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if you'd like. Just need a city or a zip.

I wouldn't think getting an '85 302 registered in Cali should be too hard if everything is working.

Though, it has a feedback system rather than E.F.I. and that might make it more challenging.

Is there still a vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support and a compliance/calibration sticker on the drivers valve cover?

Jay has a nice, clean Bronco.

If the inside is even close to the outside, a good mechanic should get it through.

I wonder about Vandenberg?

There must be plenty of military that want to bring their projects with them?

I wouldn't think getting an '85 302 registered in Cali should be too hard if everything is working.

Though, it has a feedback system rather than E.F.I. and that might make it more challenging.

Is there still a vacuum routing diagram on the radiator support and a compliance/calibration sticker on the drivers valve cover?

Jay has a nice, clean Bronco.

If the inside is even close to the outside, a good mechanic should get it through.

I wonder about Vandenberg?

There must be plenty of military that want to bring their projects with them?

I hope you are right, Jim. I really do. But by '85 it should have had a feedback carb if it came with a carb. The '85 brochure says that the 302 2V was to have been canceled in November, which I would assume was Nov of '84, when EFI was introduced. So the first batch of 302's, from whenever production started, which might have been July or August, would have had a carb.

So to get it all working would be a task as I think the inspector will initially make a visual check to see that everything it was supposed to have from the factory is there and hooked up. He's going to know pretty quickly that it didn't come with a Holley carb.

The first question for me would be whether the computer is still under the dash and the wires are connected and go out to the carb. If so, it might be possible to get the whole system working. If not it will be a huge project.

Again, all I know is what I've read, and I REALLY hope I'm wrong. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

We really need to get some people with knowledge of the CA laws to chime in. I'm going to ping Mark/Dyn Blin as he might know.

I hope you are right, Jim. I really do. But by '85 it should have had a feedback carb if it came with a carb. The '85 brochure says that the 302 2V was to have been canceled in November, which I would assume was Nov of '84, when EFI was introduced. So the first batch of 302's, from whenever production started, which might have been July or August, would have had a carb.

So to get it all working would be a task as I think the inspector will initially make a visual check to see that everything it was supposed to have from the factory is there and hooked up. He's going to know pretty quickly that it didn't come with a Holley carb.

The first question for me would be whether the computer is still under the dash and the wires are connected and go out to the carb. If so, it might be possible to get the whole system working. If not it will be a huge project.

Again, all I know is what I've read, and I REALLY hope I'm wrong. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

We really need to get some people with knowledge of the CA laws to chime in. I'm going to ping Mark/Dyn Blin as he might know.

I dont think for a second that it will pass with a Holley and an open element air cleaner.

There is definitely work to be done.

The fact that it isn't E.F.I. is a challenge, given that it will have to meet California requirements for the date of manufacture.

One would hope a Colorado vehicle would have come with the high altitude option.

Mark is way up in Santa Rosa, isn't he?

While he may be aware of the requirements in California, I doubt he has a mechanic just north of L.A.

She's a beauty, that Betty!

You'll likely know you'll need a few items to transfer the registration to CA:

A Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).

The Vehicle's Out-of-State Title.

The Vehicle's Out-of-State Registration.

Proof of Insurance.

A Valid Smog Certificate.

Payment for Fees (there's a calculator at dmv.ca.gov)

The "Valid Smog Certificate" is the rub. Our vehicles are now classified as potential "gross polluters", and almost all CA counties now participate in CARB's smog abatement program. An open air system is a non-starter, unfortunately, you won't get past the first 10 seconds during the visual inspection.

Vehicles falling into this category are required to obtain a certificate from a "STAR-certified" smog check station. "STAR" stations are held to stricter inspection standards by the state and usually can't be gamed. The good news is, they generally know their stuff and have extensive records and resources to bring the intake and exhaust system up to original condition & spec. Some have affiliated mechanics you can engage in work, others will tend to help you find the parts you'll need and things like vacuum and emissions diagrams for the various carburetor, ignition and emission package flavors that our Bullride years' tend to reflect.

CA still has a "referee" program if you get really stuck on parts or modifications that can't easily be reversed, but I've never known a case where a mass-manufactured post-1975 auto received a favorable ruling: http://www.asktheref.org/

I'd find a local STAR- certified smog test station, make some friends and start from there.

Good luck. I managed to restore my highly modified (when I bought it) '82 from Oregon with the high-altitude package, gathering all the emissions parts and putting them back from scratch. It's a challenge, but it can be done.

She's a beauty, that Betty!

You'll likely know you'll need a few items to transfer the registration to CA:

A Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).

The Vehicle's Out-of-State Title.

The Vehicle's Out-of-State Registration.

Proof of Insurance.

A Valid Smog Certificate.

Payment for Fees (there's a calculator at dmv.ca.gov)

The "Valid Smog Certificate" is the rub. Our vehicles are now classified as potential "gross polluters", and almost all CA counties now participate in CARB's smog abatement program. An open air system is a non-starter, unfortunately, you won't get past the first 10 seconds during the visual inspection.

Vehicles falling into this category are required to obtain a certificate from a "STAR-certified" smog check station. "STAR" stations are held to stricter inspection standards by the state and usually can't be gamed. The good news is, they generally know their stuff and have extensive records and resources to bring the intake and exhaust system up to original condition & spec. Some have affiliated mechanics you can engage in work, others will tend to help you find the parts you'll need and things like vacuum and emissions diagrams for the various carburetor, ignition and emission package flavors that our Bullride years' tend to reflect.

CA still has a "referee" program if you get really stuck on parts or modifications that can't easily be reversed, but I've never known a case where a mass-manufactured post-1975 auto received a favorable ruling: http://www.asktheref.org/

I'd find a local STAR- certified smog test station, make some friends and start from there.

Good luck. I managed to restore my highly modified (when I bought it) '82 from Oregon with the high-altitude package, gathering all the emissions parts and putting them back from scratch. It's a challenge, but it can be done.

Mark - Thanks for weighing in on this. That is far more info than any of the rest of us had.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input , its actually a 351W Carbureted, 4bbl, "H" code engine, and the vacuum diagram is still on the radiator support, so we have a road map to try and make it look like it should. Yes, the question, is if the inspector takes the air filter off or not.

Plan B would be to find an underground network of unscrupulous smog certifiers.....

I'll keep you posted!

J