Bullnose Forums

complete wiring harness replacement

I have a 1984 F350 4wd 6.9L diesel with the T19. I am in the process of restoring this truck and I am looking for a new updated complete wiring harness (bumper to bumper harness). I have found several new replacements from American Auto Wire and Ron Francis Wiring, however the harnesses are wired for gas engines only (An IDI option isn't available so far in my search). Can these gas harnesses be modified for the IDI or is there another option available? I'm looking for new wiring as I'm updating much of the electronics to support the newer tech, so I'm not sure a salvage yard harness will work for me.

I would like to know what others have done and what my options are?

Danny - I hate to point this out, but the email I sent you asked you to start a thread in the New Members Start Here folder to introduce yourself. There are several reasons for that, but the main one is so you have a chance to see the guidelines as that is where we keep them.

It is important that you have a chance to see and read them as we hold everyone to them. So before we start discussing your harness questions, please follow that link, read the guidelines, and then start a new thread/topic to introduce yourself. Then we can help you with the harness.

Danny - Thanks for the intro. Well done, by the way.

On your harnii, there are several harnesses in a truck, not just one. But I don't think you will find a new one. And certainly one one harness bumper to bumper as there wasn't one.

Go look at the page at Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses. That lists the individual harnesses that were available, and those in bold print are then listed below, showing the options from the Master Parts Catalog.

Perhaps someone else knows what the differences are between the diesel and gas trucks, but I think that was limited to the harnii under the hood. Everything else was the same - I think.

So, what we might be able to do is to find the appropriate part numbers for the harness(es) you need and you might find one of them as New Old Stock.

Danny - Thanks for the intro. Well done, by the way.

On your harnii, there are several harnesses in a truck, not just one. But I don't think you will find a new one. And certainly one one harness bumper to bumper as there wasn't one.

Go look at the page at Documentation/Electrical/Wiring Harnesses. That lists the individual harnesses that were available, and those in bold print are then listed below, showing the options from the Master Parts Catalog.

Perhaps someone else knows what the differences are between the diesel and gas trucks, but I think that was limited to the harnii under the hood. Everything else was the same - I think.

So, what we might be able to do is to find the appropriate part numbers for the harness(es) you need and you might find one of them as New Old Stock.

Having never worked on wiring on the older Diesels I can't say how much difference there is. I have determined that a lot of the gas engine variations were done with harnesses that plug into a pretty standard front harness. On your truck the front harness probably follows the same design as the gas engines in the fact that it runs from the right headlight area past the right side battery (only one on gas engines) back along the inner fender, through the firewall under the HVAC or heater case, across the dash and back out through the left side of the firewall and up to the left headlight.

Because of the design replacing it is a real pain.

Having never worked on wiring on the older Diesels I can't say how much difference there is. I have determined that a lot of the gas engine variations were done with harnesses that plug into a pretty standard front harness. On your truck the front harness probably follows the same design as the gas engines in the fact that it runs from the right headlight area past the right side battery (only one on gas engines) back along the inner fender, through the firewall under the HVAC or heater case, across the dash and back out through the left side of the firewall and up to the left headlight.

Because of the design replacing it is a real pain.

Bill - I think that is 14401 and, as shown below, there is one specific to the diesel. And I do not know what the differences are.

instrument-panel-14401-2.thumb.jpg.ba5dd070e1bff536af061b84d5d70fbc.jpg

Bill - I think that is 14401 and, as shown below, there is one specific to the diesel. And I do not know what the differences are.

There seem to be a lot of differences in the cab/cluster wiring.

At least that's what I gather from seeing diesels listed on an entirely different page of the EVTMs.

There seem to be a lot of differences in the cab/cluster wiring.

At least that's what I gather from seeing diesels listed on an entirely different page of the EVTMs.

Yes, there are apparently differences I’d not thought about. Like the glow plug light and switch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But if no diesel harness is available then those differences could be accommodated.

Yes, there are apparently differences I’d not thought about. Like the glow plug light and switch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But if no diesel harness is available then those differences could be accommodated.

I imagine the reason for so many different harnesses is due to the continuous design, so any difference in cluster or engine results in a different PN.

I imagine the reason for so many different harnesses is due to the continuous design, so any difference in cluster or engine results in a different PN.
Gentlemen, this is what I’ve hope for in having access to expert advice and instruction. Thank you for responding so quickly. 

I will review the documents in question and hope to provide some feedback soon. 

I did speak with American Auto Wire this morning and the 80-86 f series update harness kit is complete minus the secondary fuel tank harness. Scott at AAW said the update kit was for gas engines only (charging, ignition, fuel, etc), but did say it wasn’t impossible to adapt the kit for the diesel components as some have done with their universal harnesses. 

In the meantime, I will carefully remove the chassis harness from the cab as well as the glow plug relay and harness from the engine bay ascertain its condition. 

FYI, I’ve successfully removed a brake controller and aftermarket cruise control from the truck. The installation of these products have compromised some of the in cab wiring. The glow plug controller was bypassed for a push button setup. 

I’ve also attached a photo of the wiring on the passenger side fender, which I what has moved me in this direction to rewire the truck. 

Thanks for the help. IMG_1084.thumb.jpg.6e8bcbeaf04110837315832f7505d9be.jpg

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 10:59 AM 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote: