Bullnose Forums

Home Made Battery Cables

Machspeed

Look what I started....lol! After searching and studying and knowing that I may use a crimper/swedging tool for battery cables 2-3 times at best, I'm gonna have mine made by the outfit I posted previously. Have fun with your crimpers guys...:nabble_smiley_happy:

This is why I suggest buying a cable the right length off the shelf.

Or using the solder pellet lugs that Ryan used to send with his cable kits.

You can solder your own cables. It's a lot easier that holding three things and trying to pump the swedger shut.

A propane torch kit is under $10 at any box store.

This is why I suggest buying a cable the right length off the shelf.

Or using the solder pellet lugs that Ryan used to send with his cable kits.

You can solder your own cables. It's a lot easier that holding three things and trying to pump the swedger shut.

A propane torch kit is under $10 at any box store.

14:30 for actual swedging action.

There's quite a bit of Anthony350's stuff I disagree with, but his lugs come out looking great using what appears to be the same yellow & black crimper.

14:30 for actual swedging action.

There's quite a bit of Anthony350's stuff I disagree with, but his lugs come out looking great using what appears to be the same yellow & black crimper.

Jim - Thanks for the video. I watched it out to 20 minutes.

You are right that his his crimper is yellow and black like mine. But I believe his is the smaller version, probably a 5 ton, while mine is a 16 ton. Here's his on the left and mine on the right and you can see the difference in the heads. As he said, his is cast. And you can see that it has a reinforcement rib because it is open, where mine is closed and doesn't need the rib.

What I find interesting is the comparison of his crimper to the 5 ton one from TEMco that I'm considering, which is shown in the picture below. They appear to be the same save for the return spring on the TEMco unit, which addresses what he mentioned - the need for a 3rd hand. I have the same problem with my crimper and have found the same solution - put it on the bench.

But he did get nice crimps, and I'd bet he has metric die. I don't know that for sure, but his crimper isn't the TEMco unit and theirs is the only one I'm finding that states that it has AWG die - and half sizes to boot. But he has found the right die/terminal/wire combination to get the right crimp w/o wings. And I've not found that. The closest I can come is by using MagnaLugs, which have significantly thicker sides, and that makes them work fairly well with the metric die and AWG wire.

Again, I believe the key is finding the right die/terminal/wire combo, and he has done it and I haven't.

5-Ton_Crimper.thumb.jpg.9f5bc5a1da7d81796d6006fae2706c24.jpg16-Ton_Crimper.thumb.jpg.081208352b1eb0d6e7781cfc0c89a4d3.jpg

TH0006_05__73767.thumb.jpg.c313562f139c907be79e41a8afbaf753.jpg

You are right that his his crimper is yellow and black like mine. But I believe his is the smaller version, probably a 5 ton, while mine is a 16 ton. Here's his on the left and mine on the right and you can see the difference in the heads. As he said, his is cast. And you can see that it has a reinforcement rib because it is open, where mine is closed and doesn't need the rib.

What I find interesting is the comparison of his crimper to the 5 ton one from TEMco that I'm considering, which is shown in the picture below. They appear to be the same save for the return spring on the TEMco unit, which addresses what he mentioned - the need for a 3rd hand. I have the same problem with my crimper and have found the same solution - put it on the bench.

But he did get nice crimps, and I'd bet he has metric die. I don't know that for sure, but his crimper isn't the TEMco unit and theirs is the only one I'm finding that states that it has AWG die - and half sizes to boot. But he has found the right die/terminal/wire combination to get the right crimp w/o wings. And I've not found that. The closest I can come is by using MagnaLugs, which have significantly thicker sides, and that makes them work fairly well with the metric die and AWG wire.

Again, I believe the key is finding the right die/terminal/wire combo, and he has done it and I haven't.

Doesn't look hard to slip a spring over the piston for convenience. :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm glad that I find soldered connections with adhesive shrink good enough.

I don't have to deal with any of this. :nabble_anim_crazy:

You could always ask in the comments, which lug he is using.

I find he is pretty responsive and willing to share info.

Again, I believe the key is finding the right die/terminal/wire combo,...

Good video and I like the idea of adding a spring for return. Your statement, Gary, is absolutely correct.

The one he is using is the same as the one I have and I use it much more often than the big one. He is spot on with wishing it had a flat base though :nabble_smiley_good:

Again, I believe the key is finding the right die/terminal/wire combo,...

Good video and I like the idea of adding a spring for return. Your statement, Gary, is absolutely correct.

The one he is using is the same as the one I have and I use it much more often than the big one. He is spot on with wishing it had a flat base though :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I'll ask him. But he's using an un-tinned terminal and I like to used tinned terminals exactly for the reason he mentioned - they don't corrode as easily. So I won't want to use whatever terminal he's using. But I might be able to find the same one already tinned. (Yes, I could tin them, but now you might as well solder them on. I think we are parked, man!)

• 3 weeks later...

Jim - I'll ask him. But he's using an un-tinned terminal and I like to used tinned terminals exactly for the reason he mentioned - they don't corrode as easily. So I won't want to use whatever terminal he's using. But I might be able to find the same one already tinned. (Yes, I could tin them, but now you might as well solder them on. I think we are parked, man!)

As an update on this subject, I just ordered the TEMCo Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper TH0006 V2.0 5 US TON. But instead of ordering it from Amazon, where the cost is $114.95 and is supposed to be "In stock on April 21, 2021", I ordered it from TEMCo where the cost was $103.46. And while their website says it is supposed be in stock today, Drew said it will be "a couple more days", and that if I'd order online I'd go to the head of the line for it.

Further, we discussed the "wings" that I've been getting as well as the idea of getting a specification for the size of a properly-crimped terminal. On the wings, he said just to fold them back in, as I've been doing, because they aren't harmful. But he said I'm not going to find a spec on a properly-crimped terminal because that depends on the die, the terminal, and the # of strands in the wire used. So since the terminal manufacturer doesn't know what die nor wire is going to be used they can't provide a spec.

Having said that, he's confident that with their AWG die and the fact that you get intermediate die, meaning the equivalent of a #11 between 12 and 10, we can find the right combo of die, terminal, and wire that gives a clean crimp. So I ordered it and will let you know. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As an update on this subject, I just ordered the TEMCo Hydraulic Cable Lug Crimper TH0006 V2.0 5 US TON. But instead of ordering it from Amazon, where the cost is $114.95 and is supposed to be "In stock on April 21, 2021", I ordered it from TEMCo where the cost was $103.46. And while their website says it is supposed be in stock today, Drew said it will be "a couple more days", and that if I'd order online I'd go to the head of the line for it.

Further, we discussed the "wings" that I've been getting as well as the idea of getting a specification for the size of a properly-crimped terminal. On the wings, he said just to fold them back in, as I've been doing, because they aren't harmful. But he said I'm not going to find a spec on a properly-crimped terminal because that depends on the die, the terminal, and the # of strands in the wire used. So since the terminal manufacturer doesn't know what die nor wire is going to be used they can't provide a spec.

Having said that, he's confident that with their AWG die and the fact that you get intermediate die, meaning the equivalent of a #11 between 12 and 10, we can find the right combo of die, terminal, and wire that gives a clean crimp. So I ordered it and will let you know. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That looks like nice set. Especially for $103!

Thanks for doing the legwork.

Looking forward to the update. :nabble_smiley_good:

But I'm interested in why you would need a hydraulic crimper for a #10 or 12 wire?

1/0, 2/0, yeah I see that...