Bullnose Forums

Home Made Battery Cables

Machspeed

I fold the wings back on the terminal with the crimper by turning it such that the wings catch in the corners of the die and then lightly crimping them. But I get wings on all the crimps using this crimper, which is why I'm hoping the AWG-sized die make the difference.

However, I'm learning a bit about crimping, wire sizes, terminals, etc. And apparently there is a correct crimped "size" for each terminal. Still reading and searching... :nabble_anim_working:

I was watching a Canadian guy that does audio and first responder fit outs with that same lug press (I wouldn't call it a crimper) and he doesn't seem to have the issue with 'wings'.

I will have to burrow into my viewing history and find it.

Maybe you will notice something he does different?

There is also on Navy work a pull out spec that varies with cable size. I tested many of them for X31 (electricians).

Bill - So far I've not been able to find any specs on crimp sizes. In fact, I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Amy at QuickCable, who make the MagnaLugs, trying to find that info. She asked around and no one seemed to have it, so she sent a note to Engineering. But what she suggested was to test the pull-out. Yes, I'm sure that's the best way to test, but obviously we don't have the equipment with which to do that. :nabble_smiley_cry:

One thing I've read is that there is a volume for a successful crimp of a given size of wire. And since each terminal manufacturer knows the the thickness of the walls on their terminals, they should then know the outside dimensions of a successful crimp. But I'm sure not finding that info.

One thing that the TEMco page touts about their crimpers is that they are truly hex shaped - as you can see on the page below. That got me to wondering about the die on my crimper, so I measured a couple of them. The one marked 300 is 21.86 mm high and 23.86 mm wide. The one marked 70 is 12.36 mm high and 13.82 wide. In other words, as you crimp they are pushing more to the side, which probably contributes to the "wings".

TH0005_whatsnew-2_copy__00666.thumb.jpg.059e531960c42ed31dc169cac8a8d776.jpg

I was watching a Canadian guy that does audio and first responder fit outs with that same lug press (I wouldn't call it a crimper) and he doesn't seem to have the issue with 'wings'.

I will have to burrow into my viewing history and find it.

Maybe you will notice something he does different?

Jim - Maybe he knows something I don't, but I'd sure like to know it. So if you can find that video I'll happily watch it.

Jim - Maybe he knows something I don't, but I'd sure like to know it. So if you can find that video I'll happily watch it.

Look what I started....lol! After searching and studying and knowing that I may use a crimper/swedging tool for battery cables 2-3 times at best, I'm gonna have mine made by the outfit I posted previously. Have fun with your crimpers guys...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Look what I started....lol! After searching and studying and knowing that I may use a crimper/swedging tool for battery cables 2-3 times at best, I'm gonna have mine made by the outfit I posted previously. Have fun with your crimpers guys...:nabble_smiley_happy:

You and I, John, are doing very different things. In your case you are replacing factory cables, and the lengths aren't critical. Plus, you can usually turn to the factory lit to find the length they used.

But the majority of the cables I've made have needed to be custom lengths. The first use of my crimper was on the boat where I made 2/0 cables to go from the battery selector switch on the starboard side to the batteries on the port side. And, from the switch to the alternator.

For Big Blue the first use was installing the 3G alternator, and I needed a cable from the alternator to the megafuse on the power distribution box. Then one from the megafuse to the battery. And neither of those were standard lengths.

Then on the driver's side I made cables to go from the aux battery to the battery isolator, from the isolator to the megafuse, and from the megafuse to the aux power relay. All of that was in about a 3' run, and with #2 cable you'd best get the length and clocking correct as there isn't much twist to that cable in those short runs.

Then I had a ~10' run from the aux power relay to the inverter, down the fender liner, under the rocker panel, up into the cab in the corner, across the cab under the "step" that the carpeted trucks have, and up into the storage unit and the inverter. That length was critical but it wasn't going to be easy to measure at all as getting a tape to conform the way #2 wire does wasn't going to be easy. So I decided that starting with a terminal on the end at the inverter and just running the wire where it needed to go was the best way. Got it run from the inverter up to the relay, marked it, fished it back, and installed the connector.

Plus, 10 different ground cables, as shown below. True, two of them are what you are doing, but the other 8 weren't. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh yes, there were 6 cables for the winch: power & ground from the battery to the connector; from the connector to the winch; and the 10' jumper that goes between the two connectors to allow the winch to be on the trailer.

All in all, I just counted 23 cables I made for Big Blue. (I forgot to tell you about the ground from the inverter to the frame.) With the 3 cables I made for the boat, that makes 52 terminals I've crimped - successfully. And a few more that didn't pass muster. I think maybe I see why the o-ring gave up the ghost on this crimper. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Ground_Wiring.thumb.jpg.506754d9b991fdc3892f48048ca4e507.jpg

You and I, John, are doing very different things. In your case you are replacing factory cables, and the lengths aren't critical. Plus, you can usually turn to the factory lit to find the length they used.

But the majority of the cables I've made have needed to be custom lengths. The first use of my crimper was on the boat where I made 2/0 cables to go from the battery selector switch on the starboard side to the batteries on the port side. And, from the switch to the alternator.

For Big Blue the first use was installing the 3G alternator, and I needed a cable from the alternator to the megafuse on the power distribution box. Then one from the megafuse to the battery. And neither of those were standard lengths.

Then on the driver's side I made cables to go from the aux battery to the battery isolator, from the isolator to the megafuse, and from the megafuse to the aux power relay. All of that was in about a 3' run, and with #2 cable you'd best get the length and clocking correct as there isn't much twist to that cable in those short runs.

Then I had a ~10' run from the aux power relay to the inverter, down the fender liner, under the rocker panel, up into the cab in the corner, across the cab under the "step" that the carpeted trucks have, and up into the storage unit and the inverter. That length was critical but it wasn't going to be easy to measure at all as getting a tape to conform the way #2 wire does wasn't going to be easy. So I decided that starting with a terminal on the end at the inverter and just running the wire where it needed to go was the best way. Got it run from the inverter up to the relay, marked it, fished it back, and installed the connector.

Plus, 10 different ground cables, as shown below. True, two of them are what you are doing, but the other 8 weren't. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh yes, there were 6 cables for the winch: power & ground from the battery to the connector; from the connector to the winch; and the 10' jumper that goes between the two connectors to allow the winch to be on the trailer.

All in all, I just counted 23 cables I made for Big Blue. (I forgot to tell you about the ground from the inverter to the frame.) With the 3 cables I made for the boat, that makes 52 terminals I've crimped - successfully. And a few more that didn't pass muster. I think maybe I see why the o-ring gave up the ghost on this crimper. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yeah Gary, you needed cable crimpers after all that, for sure! I think I may just take a ride to Skiatook should I need some serious cable crimping. A guy I know there will have one of those high $$$ crimpers and just itching to use it....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

BTW, I read today that soldering those connectors in is actually a stronger hold!

http://test.quickcable.com/products.php?pageId=74

Yeah Gary, you needed cable crimpers after all that, for sure! I think I may just take a ride to Skiatook should I need some serious cable crimping. A guy I know there will have one of those high $$$ crimpers and just itching to use it....:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

BTW, I read today that soldering those connectors in is actually a stronger hold!

Come on up, John!

Seriously, I do plan to replace this crimper as it is leaking and I don't want to repair it 'cause I don't like it anyway. But right now the TEMco crimper isn't available until April, so we'd have to make do with Old Yeller.

Come on up, John!

Seriously, I do plan to replace this crimper as it is leaking and I don't want to repair it 'cause I don't like it anyway. But right now the TEMco crimper isn't available until April, so we'd have to make do with Old Yeller.

I passed through Collinsville today on my way to Nowata and thought about ya! I gotta get up there sometime and check out the place, Big Blue, Dad's Truck, and that Super Bee!!!

I missed the bit about soldering. Hadn't seen the Fusion Connectors. Your link takes you to battery connectors, but there are also Fusion® Solder MagnaLugs®. And those are game changers. Hmmmm, maybe I don't need to crimp? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I passed through Collinsville today on my way to Nowata and thought about ya! I gotta get up there sometime and check out the place, Big Blue, Dad's Truck, and that Super Bee!!!

We probably were close as Janey and I were in Owasso running errands and came back through Collinsville.