Bullnose Forums

Home Made Battery Cables

Machspeed

I was inspecting my battery cables yesterday and noted that they have some significant wear. The terminal on the positive cable is cracked and the negative OEM cable is worn. I'm thinking it's time for replacement and upgrade. Spent some time on the web and Amazon looking around last night but would like some suggestions on replacing them. I plan to buy the components, cut and swedge the connectors. Thanks!

John - I have the 16 Ton terminal crimper shown below. That one is currently unavailable, but this one is now available.

You are welcome to borrow this one, but it isn't worth it to ship as the round-trip cost would be an appreciable portion of the $60 of getting a new one. And, mine is leaking hydraulic fluid and needs to either have an o-ring replaced or the whole unit replaced.

HOWEVER, before you venture down this path, a word of warning: the die are metric and will not properly crimp normal AWG terminals. I've found that Magnelugs are sufficiently larger that they will work fairly well in those die, although they leave a piece of "flashing" sticking out that you'll then need to either trim or crimp back lightly.

Magnelugs aren't cheap, although Amazon is 5x the price of where I get them. And you can't just run down to the local hardware store and buy them. But they are good, and I've not had any problems with them whatsoever.

So, if I were doing this again I'd look for a crimper with AWG die. I don't know that they exist in the price range I'm willing to pay. But I'd still be looking for them.

61UYEWoeXhL.thumb.jpg.9523b3b2601f804be256590a5272ac35.jpg

John - I have the 16 Ton terminal crimper shown below. That one is currently unavailable, but this one is now available.

You are welcome to borrow this one, but it isn't worth it to ship as the round-trip cost would be an appreciable portion of the $60 of getting a new one. And, mine is leaking hydraulic fluid and needs to either have an o-ring replaced or the whole unit replaced.

HOWEVER, before you venture down this path, a word of warning: the die are metric and will not properly crimp normal AWG terminals. I've found that Magnelugs are sufficiently larger that they will work fairly well in those die, although they leave a piece of "flashing" sticking out that you'll then need to either trim or crimp back lightly.

Magnelugs aren't cheap, although Amazon is 5x the price of where I get them. And you can't just run down to the local hardware store and buy them. But they are good, and I've not had any problems with them whatsoever.

So, if I were doing this again I'd look for a crimper with AWG die. I don't know that they exist in the price range I'm willing to pay. But I'd still be looking for them.

Thanks Gary. Couple things I need to decide, one being what gauge cable to run. According to the charts I've reviewed, 4AWG should be fine for the Amps and length of cable I will need to run. I know you guys are bigger is better though....lol! Thoughts?

Also, I'm reading that all copper is not equal???

The other thing is the connectors and terminals, etc.....i.e military vs. marine style. Recommendations?

Last night I looked as swedging the connectors and the multiple tools for doing it. I think I may go this route: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UUVT0/?coliid=I3GFR3ZMKNJ0OB&colid=1RQN2U4NUJ1K&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've been looking at this site for information and products: https://www.batterycablesusa.com/

Input and thoughts please!

Is there a reason you don't want an off the shelf pair of cables?

What do you intend for battery terminals?

Or are you going with military terminals and having everything bolt on with lugs?

Doh!

I guess I was distracted while you submitted your last post.

Personally, I would go with standard posts rather than marine style stud and wingnuts.

If you do drop a plate in the middle of nowhere you probably don't want to be stuck with buying a deep cycle until you get back to 'civilazation'.

I have 2/0 ground and charge cables, but I used a Motorcraft #2 cable the last time I rearranged my passenger inner fender for the mini PDC.

Or are you going with military terminals and having everything bolt on with lugs?

All good questions, Jim! My positive battery cable is done and I went on Rock Auto to see what a replacement cable would cost but couldn't find one. This is a simple cable, maybe 6" in length total. Unless I overlooked and misread it, they had all kinds of crazy lengths for my vehicle. A 52" positive battery cable for my truck....what? A black positive battery cable???

Regardless, I desire to upgrade and want a better cable with lugs for possible adaptability.

Doh!

I guess I was distracted while you submitted your last post.

Personally, I would go with standard posts rather than marine style stud and wingnuts.

If you do drop a plate in the middle of nowhere you probably don't want to be stuck with buying a deep cycle until you get back to 'civilazation'.

I have 2/0 ground and charge cables, but I used a Motorcraft #2 cable the last time I rearranged my passenger inner fender for the mini PDC.

There's a lot of truth in what Jim is saying about marine terminals vs battery posts. Plus, there have been suggestions that the marine terminals may not be capable of supplying as much current as the posts, but that may be an old wife's tale.

I'm using marine terminals as the battery that was originally in Big Blue when I got him had them. But if I was doing it over again I'd think about using the posts. And I can make a case for either way.

On the crimping tool, I don't like the idea of just driving a stake into the terminal. It doesn't seem very well controlled, nor does it give the neatly crimped terminals the hydraulic crimpers give. For the price difference I'd still go hydraulic. I've used mine many, many times and love the results. I get cables the length I want them.

As for copper, I buy mine from Great Lakes Skipper. They have marine cable that is tinned the whole way, which makes it more corrosion-proof, and has small strands so it is more flexible. But their prices are better than some others. Scott/kramttocs has a different supplier, but I've not compared prices.

And I went with 2/0 for two reasons. First, I had some left over from the battery work on the boat. But secondly, because Sea Ray used 2/0 on the cables on the boat and I assumed they knew what they were doing.

All good questions, Jim! My positive battery cable is done and I went on Rock Auto to see what a replacement cable would cost but couldn't find one. This is a simple cable, maybe 6" in length total. Unless I overlooked and misread it, they had all kinds of crazy lengths for my vehicle. A 52" positive battery cable for my truck....what? A black positive battery cable???

Regardless, I desire to upgrade and want a better cable with lugs for possible adaptability.

Any '90's truck with a PMGR starter needs a pretty long positive cable.

Usually these are a 'y' from the fender solenoid.

I guess I should say my ~1' long Motorcraft cable is only from the Megafuse to the battery.

My starter cable is from the fuse as well.

But I soldered the lugs on (just like the RJM kit) so IDK about needing a hydraulic press for 2/0 cable.

Any '90's truck with a PMGR starter needs a pretty long positive cable.

Usually these are a 'y' from the fender solenoid.

I guess I should say my ~1' long Motorcraft cable is only from the Megafuse to the battery.

My starter cable is from the fuse as well.

But I soldered the lugs on (just like the RJM kit) so IDK about needing a hydraulic press for 2/0 cable.

Thanks for the input fellas! I like to know the "why's" to people's decision making. Here's another option and one I am entertaining from the site I listed above. Their product seems to be very high quality:

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/4-gauge-awg-extreme-battery-cable-with-ends

I'll check out the website you mentioned, Gary.

Thanks for the input fellas! I like to know the "why's" to people's decision making. Here's another option and one I am entertaining from the site I listed above. Their product seems to be very high quality:

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/4-gauge-awg-extreme-battery-cable-with-ends

I'll check out the website you mentioned, Gary.

John - Their pricing isn't bad. I just spec'd out the #2 cable that I have from the aux power relay to the inverter, which is right at 10'. Their price with terminals is $33.02 using marine grade cable. I may have had that much in mine as 10' of #2 was $25 from GLS. Then there were the Magnalugs at $2.50/ea and heat shrink.