Bullnose Forums

Has anyone here built a bullnose into a welding rig?

Get the opinions of others on here, but I think Big Blue's brakes are now excellent.

My brakes weren’t what I thought they should be and heard others say that of their bullnoses.

But found out my front calipers weren’t moving much, if at all. Replaced them and adjusted the rears and cleaned and lubed the auto adjusters. Huge improvement. Stops really good. And I’ve had it loaded and pulled a loaded trailer at the same time with no problems. I didn’t go real fast, but I could tell they were good.

Get the opinions of others on here, but I think Big Blue's brakes are now excellent.

I think theyre a great option for building an affordable work rig.

When I bought my 250, I was lookimg for something with the 300 in it like you are. But Im getting pulled over to the big block dark side. Just factor in gas money when you bid a job.

I can pull off up hills with a load my other trucks bog down on empty.

If you do go 4x4, f250s are cheaper because people dont like the leaf sprung ttb axle, for good reason. But theyre not that bad.

When I bought my 250, I was lookimg for something with the 300 in it like you are. But Im getting pulled over to the big block dark side. Just factor in gas money when you bid a job.

If you do go 4x4, f250s are cheaper because people dont like the leaf sprung ttb axle, for good reason. But theyre not that bad.

And let me add, most of the components on my truck are wore out and it keeps going and going.

I agree that an HD F250, not the light duty version, would be a good starting point. They have the same frame as an F350. And I agree that a 4WD version isn't the best combo w/the TTB and leaf springs, but they aren't too bad.

But an '86 F350 4x4 would have the solid front axle so you'd have the best of both worlds.

I agree that an HD F250, not the light duty version, would be a good starting point. They have the same frame as an F350. And I agree that a 4WD version isn't the best combo w/the TTB and leaf springs, but they aren't too bad.

But an '86 F350 4x4 would have the solid front axle so you'd have the best of both worlds.

I've not built, but I have parted plenty of welding rigs.

A 150 chassis is definitely not up to the job.

I wouldn't want a 250's TTB either. It will never stay in alignment.

In my mind a 460 or diesel is the only way to go

SRW is fine with what you say you are putting in it, but consider a dozen 50# cans of rods, a compressor so you can run a needle scaler crane/die grinder/whatever, 100+ lbs for a vice on the bumper, etc... and possibly a crane

Maybe an E-rated single is not enough.

I got a whole lot of parts from a F-450 welding rig out of northern New Hampshire.... many of which went to Gary. (And some to Bill)

I think a Hydroboost upgrade is very worthwhile.

I've not built, but I have parted plenty of welding rigs.

A 150 chassis is definitely not up to the job.

I wouldn't want a 250's TTB either. It will never stay in alignment.

In my mind a 460 or diesel is the only way to go

SRW is fine with what you say you are putting in it, but consider a dozen 50# cans of rods, a compressor so you can run a needle scaler crane/die grinder/whatever, 100+ lbs for a vice on the bumper, etc... and possibly a crane

Maybe an E-rated single is not enough.

I got a whole lot of parts from a F-450 welding rig out of northern New Hampshire.... many of which went to Gary. (And some to Bill)

I think a Hydroboost upgrade is very worthwhile.

I would be happy with a 460 or the 6.9, they're both great engines, but I'm really in love with my "little" 300. IMO it's the ultimate truck engine; it's simple and cheap to fix, it sounds like a tractor, it's rugged as hell, lots of low end torque and when I drop a socket in the engine bay I always know where it goes. Plus I've never seen a rig with a 300 in it, so it would be kind of unique to build one. All that being said, I'm under no illusion that it's a better engine for this application than the big block or the diesel.

Are you saying you've parted out rigs with compressors on them? Most guys I know only run a machine and use electric tools. It would be pretty nice to have if I'm being honest, but they do take up a lot of space.

I would be happy with a 460 or the 6.9, they're both great engines, but I'm really in love with my "little" 300. IMO it's the ultimate truck engine; it's simple and cheap to fix, it sounds like a tractor, it's rugged as hell, lots of low end torque and when I drop a socket in the engine bay I always know where it goes. Plus I've never seen a rig with a 300 in it, so it would be kind of unique to build one. All that being said, I'm under no illusion that it's a better engine for this application than the big block or the diesel.

Are you saying you've parted out rigs with compressors on them? Most guys I know only run a machine and use electric tools. It would be pretty nice to have if I'm being honest, but they do take up a lot of space.

I don't think a 250 has enough axle for a welding rig.

And five lug hubs definitely aren't up to the task.

The 450 had 10 lug hubs, rear discs, and a drop beam front axle like a medium duty truck

Yes at least two or three welding trucks I've taken apart have had on board compressors.

Maybe it's just a regional thing, here in the Northeast?

I'm not saying that a 300 doesn't have enough torque, but it's going to be hard getting it out of its own way.

You definitely want the frame thickness of a 350 450 or 550 truck.

Whereabouts in the nutmeg state see you located?

I'm hanging at my brother's in East Haven right now.