Bullnose Forums

Quality Cab Mounts/suspension

delco1946

The sway bar bushings, yes but no on the body mounts.

It's a good question and I've seen some say yes, some say no. Most I've seen saying yes refer to squeaking. Mine is definitely more of a popping/groaning noise.

Instructions don't mention it and here is Gary's experience.

My thought process on it is that I wouldn't want the bushings to move against the fame or body but rather the bushings should flex. Which with polyurethane it pushes more of that responsibility to the suspension and when that doesn't do it, the body.

What are you thinking? Should they get grease?

It's very possible that even with these new mounts I will still have the issue (hope not though :nabble_smiley_beam:) and will have to start removing things. The mounts just seem like the most likely culprit.

If you have popping and groaning (especially while turning, over bumps) you should look up the TSB on loose cross member rivets and consider a slip sheet with bolts reamed and torqued according to the instructions.

It may be that urethane mounts are too stiff.

But if the cross members are flexing mounting the cab softly is only covering for a bigger issue.

If you have popping and groaning (especially while turning, over bumps) you should look up the TSB on loose cross member rivets and consider a slip sheet with bolts reamed and torqued according to the instructions.

It may be that urethane mounts are too stiff.

But if the cross members are flexing mounting the cab softly is only covering for a bigger issue.

Thanks Jim!

After this happened the first time I did a lot of forum searching and that TSB came up. Seemed like a good culprit but I looked at all the places and couldn't find anything that looked like it was shifting. I also removed the tcase skid plate (it's still off) as a quick test since that skid plate and the body mounts are the only two things that changed in regards to touching the frame. Prior to the rebuild, there wasn't any noise like this.

At the top of the fender where it bolts to that horn on the cab I noticed fairly early on that I could tell they were shifting slightly. This fits with where the sound appears to be coming from primarily.

Appreciate the suggestion since if these don't work, I'll be back to the drawing board. Albeit with lighter pockets...

Thanks Jim!

After this happened the first time I did a lot of forum searching and that TSB came up. Seemed like a good culprit but I looked at all the places and couldn't find anything that looked like it was shifting. I also removed the tcase skid plate (it's still off) as a quick test since that skid plate and the body mounts are the only two things that changed in regards to touching the frame. Prior to the rebuild, there wasn't any noise like this.

At the top of the fender where it bolts to that horn on the cab I noticed fairly early on that I could tell they were shifting slightly. This fits with where the sound appears to be coming from primarily.

Appreciate the suggestion since if these don't work, I'll be back to the drawing board. Albeit with lighter pockets...

:nabble_smiley_blush:. Sorry. I didn't realize you had already investigated that TSB.

I hope your new silicone bushings do help with both the noise and ride quality! :nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_blush:. Sorry. I didn't realize you had already investigated that TSB.

I hope your new silicone bushings do help with both the noise and ride quality! :nabble_smiley_good:

No apology needed at all. As said, I am glad you mentioned it. If I hadn't ran across it already, I'd be out there looking now before the silicone ones are shipped/charged. Actually, I will do another inspection this weekend. :nabble_smiley_good:

Plus, for anyone else considering these due to noise and not just worn out original rubber it's something they should be aware of.

TSB 97-3-10

Scuffed pucks are free at the local rink. :nabble_smiley_what:

Somehow $455/6 seems a bit unreasonable for a cab mount under an almost 40 year old truck.

But I guess this goes back to the what's it worth debate, or Gary's idea of insurance coverage for Big Blue.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Plus the age of the vehicle is irrelevant to the cost to manufacture something. If anything, i'd think it becomes more expensive as fewer vehicles exist to sell product too. I'm just glad there aren't more mounting locations - some of the newer ford trucks were up to $8/900 due to more mounts needed.

Plus, I plan to have my truck for decades, so I'd rather do it right and be done with it until 30-40 years from now, when they'll need replacing again. But I get it - to each his own.

Anywho, as an FYI these are on backorder. I ordered mine a month ago and was then immediately notified that they should ship out around March 15th. Curiosity got the best of me so I called today, and they said next week. So I would anticipate a 6-8 wait for those who order.

Scuffed pucks are free at the local rink. :nabble_smiley_what:

Somehow $455/6 seems a bit unreasonable for a cab mount under an almost 40 year old truck.

But I guess this goes back to the what's it worth debate, or Gary's idea of insurance coverage for Big Blue.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Plus the age of the vehicle is irrelevant to the cost to manufacture something. If anything, i'd think it becomes more expensive as fewer vehicles exist to sell product too. I'm just glad there aren't more mounting locations - some of the newer ford trucks were up to $8/900 due to more mounts needed.

Plus, I plan to have my truck for decades, so I'd rather do it right and be done with it until 30-40 years from now, when they'll need replacing again. But I get it - to each his own.

Anywho, as an FYI these are on backorder. I ordered mine a month ago and was then immediately notified that they should ship out around March 15th. Curiosity got the best of me so I called today, and they said next week. So I would anticipate a 6-8 wait for those who order.

Same here - I called late last week and they thought they'd have enough for all the orders with the shipment that was coming in. Chatted with them yesterday and they said they would go out later this week. If they told you next week then we shall see...:nabble_smiley_happy:

• 1 month later...

Same here - I called late last week and they thought they'd have enough for all the orders with the shipment that was coming in. Chatted with them yesterday and they said they would go out later this week. If they told you next week then we shall see...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Mine arrived yesterday. A lot closer in feel to the factory ones than the polyurethane.

Mine arrived yesterday. A lot closer in feel to the factory ones than the polyurethane.

I'm going with hockey pucks cut down in the bandsaw to level out my bed after I had to rebuild my right rear cab mount and the body doesn't line up with the cab anymore.

Cab is probably twisted from the poly mounts but the doors close fine so I'm not going back to that.

I'm sure your truck will ride smoother than mine when you're done Scott! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm going with hockey pucks cut down in the bandsaw to level out my bed after I had to rebuild my right rear cab mount and the body doesn't line up with the cab anymore.

Cab is probably twisted from the poly mounts but the doors close fine so I'm not going back to that.

I'm sure your truck will ride smoother than mine when you're done Scott! :nabble_smiley_good:

Anxious to see what you think after they are installed. :nabble_smiley_good: