Bullnose Forums

460 engine crossmember

BLES

I am sure that someone will come a long and correct me, But from what I have been reading, the engine cross member is the same in all of these pickups. What you need to do is change the engine mounts to the 460 mounts instead of the 300 mounts.

Also notice in Gary's photo there is a hole through the crossmember so you can tighten the adapter from the wheel well with a socket and extension.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also notice in Gary's photo there is a hole through the crossmember so you can tighten the adapter from the wheel well with a socket and extension.

Jim, the second set of pictures are mine, Gary's was the bare frame.

If you can tighten that adapter from the wheel well I want to see how. I end up raising Darth's front end up high enough to get under easily (not really too high due to the ground clearance) and use a socket and extension.

It if helps at all, I tried the Ford adapter with my 460 swap in my 2wd '85 F-150 originally equipped with a 351W and it still wouldn't clear the crossmember. It was close though, notching and massaging the crossmember you have now is probably the easiest solution.

It if helps at all, I tried the Ford adapter with my 460 swap in my 2wd '85 F-150 originally equipped with a 351W and it still wouldn't clear the crossmember. It was close though, notching and massaging the crossmember you have now is probably the easiest solution.

That's sort of what I've concluded. Is that what you did, or are you using a remote filter? Also interested in what you used for headers.? I used L&L for my original swap, but I need 2" primaries with my new engine and AFR heads. Only 2" I can find are the #9229 from Mad Dog Headers. I'm waiting on them. Hope they fit, as they're fenderwell exit. Do you have a build thread?

That's sort of what I've concluded. Is that what you did, or are you using a remote filter? Also interested in what you used for headers.? I used L&L for my original swap, but I need 2" primaries with my new engine and AFR heads. Only 2" I can find are the #9229 from Mad Dog Headers. I'm waiting on them. Hope they fit, as they're fenderwell exit. Do you have a build thread?

Yeah I went remote, and have L&L's nickel plated headers too. No experience with anything else though, there certainly wasn't as many options in 2008ish when I bought this stuff. How come you are looking to ditch the remote filter?

No build thread yet, I plan to when I can hit the forum with lots of pics and changes.

• 1 month later...

OK. Time for an update. I got a new Ford Racing 90 degree adapter that takes the smaller "500" filter and did a bit of modifying with plasma cutter, so the oil filter issue is dealt with.:nabble_anim_claps:

Finally got my headers from Mad Dog. These are not a quick bolt-on, but again, some help from the plasma, cutting out the plastic fenderwells, and moving the brake valve block, and I got them in and mocked up on a bare block/heads. These fenderwell exit 2" primaries to fit the AFR heads, so they take up quite a bit more real estate than my old L&L/Doug Thorley headers.

Nice to make some progress again.

engine_headers_drive.jpg.67cf243dcae016e4e6ace26651a3d5d2.jpg

engine_headers_pass.jpg.4c8229f91b2602aad9a5e78f4f78673e.jpg

OK. Time for an update. I got a new Ford Racing 90 degree adapter that takes the smaller "500" filter and did a bit of modifying with plasma cutter, so the oil filter issue is dealt with.:nabble_anim_claps:

Finally got my headers from Mad Dog. These are not a quick bolt-on, but again, some help from the plasma, cutting out the plastic fenderwells, and moving the brake valve block, and I got them in and mocked up on a bare block/heads. These fenderwell exit 2" primaries to fit the AFR heads, so they take up quite a bit more real estate than my old L&L/Doug Thorley headers.

As Jim says, progress is good! And you are making good progress. 👍

Looks great! I'm curious to see those headers stuffed in there.

Looks great! I'm curious to see those headers stuffed in there.

Hard to see much. This is them in there with dummy engine for fitting:

engine_header_fit.jpg.32e8f1705e1d35fadb505bc6fd3a79d0.jpg

pass_side.jpg.012afa619e8c8c248211f6d68d71b5bd.jpg

driver_side.jpg.4a40e5f1fef682c4d7e6225a48177c1d.jpg

pass_fender.jpg.988b52ecf2c8dffbe68359927a3aab01.jpg

driver_side_fender1.jpg.8bad15698d8d31fa112604cbcd2bbed7.jpg

I got the brake valve slightly relocated and remounted tonight. I don't like the way it is, but I'm going to try it like this. After I get everything working, I plan to redo everything in a frame off project if I have health to do so another year.

Hard to see much. This is them in there with dummy engine for fitting:

I got the brake valve slightly relocated and remounted tonight. I don't like the way it is, but I'm going to try it like this. After I get everything working, I plan to redo everything in a frame off project if I have health to do so another year.

Are these pics before you trimmed the fender liners? They sure are close.