Bullnose Forums

Fuel sending unit and Fuel Gauge

1980 f100 flareside. Installed a brand new tank, hoses, and brand new sending unit. My fuel gauge goes to full when I fill it, but it appears to eat a lot of gas (no more than 10 mpg) drops pretty fast and when it's on E, it's actually only half empty. HELP!

I cant help in the MPG as my 81 also seams to goes through gas pretty fast.

I am happy I added a rear 19 gallon tank to the flare sides 16 gallon side tank.

Now on that sender were did you get it from?

Did you match it up to the old one?

I ask this because the short bed 16 gallon tank and the 19 gallon long bed tank use different senders and most places only list the long (wrong for short bed) bed sender for both long & short beds.

I did replace mine as part of my rebuild and got to say it reads right on the money.

5 gallons will get the needle just up to the empty line for both tanks, and full when filled up.

BTW I am only getting mid 14's with my 4x2 truck, 300 six, NP435 stick with advance adaptors over drive and 2.75 rear gear. I have a air fuel ratio gauge to install so I can tweak the carb for better MPG and mess with the timing too.

Dave ----

1980 f100 flareside. Installed a brand new tank, hoses, and brand new sending unit. My fuel gauge goes to full when I fill it, but it appears to eat a lot of gas (no more than 10 mpg) drops pretty fast and when it's on E, it's actually only half empty. HELP!

I cant help in the MPG as my 81 also seams to goes through gas pretty fast.

I am happy I added a rear 19 gallon tank to the flare sides 16 gallon side tank.

Now on that sender were did you get it from?

Did you match it up to the old one?

I ask this because the short bed 16 gallon tank and the 19 gallon long bed tank use different senders and most places only list the long (wrong for short bed) bed sender for both long & short beds.

I did replace mine as part of my rebuild and got to say it reads right on the money.

5 gallons will get the needle just up to the empty line for both tanks, and full when filled up.

BTW I am only getting mid 14's with my 4x2 truck, 300 six, NP435 stick with advance adaptors over drive and 2.75 rear gear. I have a air fuel ratio gauge to install so I can tweak the carb for better MPG and mess with the timing too.

Dave ----

Thanks. First time I got it from Amazon but it didn’t work at all. I called the manufacturers technical support and they told me pretty much what you said and sent me the correct replacement (right shape and voltage they said). It wasn’t until I installed the bed and went for my first fill up where I noticed the discrepancy. I’d hate to drop the bed again. As far as the MPG i had expected arounfm 10-12. I have 4.9 with a C6

Thanks. First time I got it from Amazon but it didn’t work at all. I called the manufacturers technical support and they told me pretty much what you said and sent me the correct replacement (right shape and voltage they said). It wasn’t until I installed the bed and went for my first fill up where I noticed the discrepancy. I’d hate to drop the bed again. As far as the MPG i had expected arounfm 10-12. I have 4.9 with a C6

I did not read that you matched up the "right one" to the old one to make sure it was the same shape, not that the old one was right either?

The senders should only go in 1 way and I think there is a notch the sender has to fit so the float and pick up sit right inside the tank.

Before you added any gas to the tank did the needle sit on empty?

How much did you add and where did the needle sit then?

I see it being 1 of 2 things:

Float needs adjusting to read empty, I don't care if it does not read full all the way.

The sender was installed wrong and the float & pick up are not reaching the bottom of the tank.

I don't think the sender can be installed this way because the pick up hits the tank so???

Also before I put the bed back on I added 5 gallons to each tank just to see if the gauges would move so I would know just how low I could go before I ran out of gas.

Key off the needles are just below the empty line and with 5 gallons it sits on the line so I know I can go that low. I may do that on 1 tank but I don't do it when on the 2nd for fear of running out.

Sorry to say I think if you want it fixed the bed or tank needs to be moved.

Dave ----

ps so you don't feel so bad just after I got my truck on the road the rear tank (new) sender stopped working.

In testing the sender looked to be the issue and when I dropped the tank (not fun even empty) and removed the sender I found the float filled with gas. I used the old sender float and it been working ever since.

I also now have a rear tank filler hose leaking on fill ups.

I did not read that you matched up the "right one" to the old one to make sure it was the same shape, not that the old one was right either?

The senders should only go in 1 way and I think there is a notch the sender has to fit so the float and pick up sit right inside the tank.

Before you added any gas to the tank did the needle sit on empty?

How much did you add and where did the needle sit then?

I see it being 1 of 2 things:

Float needs adjusting to read empty, I don't care if it does not read full all the way.

The sender was installed wrong and the float & pick up are not reaching the bottom of the tank.

I don't think the sender can be installed this way because the pick up hits the tank so???

Also before I put the bed back on I added 5 gallons to each tank just to see if the gauges would move so I would know just how low I could go before I ran out of gas.

Key off the needles are just below the empty line and with 5 gallons it sits on the line so I know I can go that low. I may do that on 1 tank but I don't do it when on the 2nd for fear of running out.

Sorry to say I think if you want it fixed the bed or tank needs to be moved.

Dave ----

ps so you don't feel so bad just after I got my truck on the road the rear tank (new) sender stopped working.

In testing the sender looked to be the issue and when I dropped the tank (not fun even empty) and removed the sender I found the float filled with gas. I used the old sender float and it been working ever since.

I also now have a rear tank filler hose leaking on fill ups.

It was marched. I probably need to adjust the floater. Looks like I’m dropping the bed again. Thanks

Mine does the same thing to a lesser degree. Full is full, empty is empty, but it races down fast but slows down as it approaches empty. Almost seems like the replacement sender has a logarithmic or exponential response and the gauge has a linear response.

Mine behaves the same way. First half of a full tank drops fast then the bottom half drops slow.

Yep, when my gauges were working that is exactly how they behaved. Quick from full then slows at mid tank. Truck bought brand new.

Sounds like a theme here. My '86 only has one working fuel pump, so I only use the front tank, but it acts the same as the rest of you report. Full is full, and empty means empty, but it goes fast from full to half, then slows noticeably.