Bullnose Forums

Zinc oil

Fordboy300

I dont know if I would go putting anything in the cylinders that are thick. I think most people just spray some WD40 on the cylinders before assembly if they will run the engine soon or rub a little motor oil into the cylinder walls if not starting for a bit.

WD40 works great while work is in progress, but it's pretty thin and part solvent. I wouldn't trust it for too long. As far as I know it's standard practice to soak the rings and rub the bores down with a light coat of whatever oil you'll be using in the engine if it will be started shortly after being built. I have talked to one or two guys who said they have sometimes used some assembly lube on the rings if they know the engine will sit.

That Lucas brand oil stabilizer though, it's interesting because while it is quite thick on its own, when it gets mixed into engine oil it doesn't really make the oil noticeably any thicker but it does make it stickier. I've been adding it 1:4 with conventional penzoil 10w30 with every oil change into my old HO motor for several years now. Never noticed any changes like slower cranking as though I was running a heavier oil. I have noticed slightly better oil pressure, less oil consumption and slower leaking at the rear main though (engine has just over 300K original kms on it). As far as lubricating this engine build goes however, I'm not planning to mix it nearly so rich - more like 1:16.

Correct, the WD40 is if you are sure you will be running the engine with in the month of assembly. If it will sit its better to wipe some 10w30 motor oil onto the cylinders or put a couple squirts from a oiler into each cylinder and rotate the engine over multiple revolutions by hand to spread the oil around.

You just dont want anything thick or sticky above as it will prevent the rings from properly seating in which is why WD40 for something that will be started up fairly quick or regular 10w30 motor oil if it will sit for a bit.

For me I am on the fence on if I want to run break in oil or just regular motor oil. My engine is a roller cam build so I dont really need the high zinc but from the reading ive done over the years it seems a break in oil is best for a fresh engine regardless of cam type as it will help promote seating the rings in.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if I would go putting anything in the cylinders that are thick. I think most people just spray some WD40 on the cylinders before assembly if they will run the engine soon or rub a little motor oil into the cylinder walls if not starting for a bit.

WD40 works great while work is in progress, but it's pretty thin and part solvent. I wouldn't trust it for too long. As far as I know it's standard practice to soak the rings and rub the bores down with a light coat of whatever oil you'll be using in the engine if it will be started shortly after being built. I have talked to one or two guys who said they have sometimes used some assembly lube on the rings if they know the engine will sit.

That Lucas brand oil stabilizer though, it's interesting because while it is quite thick on its own, when it gets mixed into engine oil it doesn't really make the oil noticeably any thicker but it does make it stickier. I've been adding it 1:4 with conventional penzoil 10w30 with every oil change into my old HO motor for several years now. Never noticed any changes like slower cranking as though I was running a heavier oil. I have noticed slightly better oil pressure, less oil consumption and slower leaking at the rear main though (engine has just over 300K original kms on it). As far as lubricating this engine build goes however, I'm not planning to mix it nearly so rich - more like 1:16.

Correct, the WD40 is if you are sure you will be running the engine with in the month of assembly. If it will sit its better to wipe some 10w30 motor oil onto the cylinders or put a couple squirts from a oiler into each cylinder and rotate the engine over multiple revolutions by hand to spread the oil around.

You just dont want anything thick or sticky above as it will prevent the rings from properly seating in which is why WD40 for something that will be started up fairly quick or regular 10w30 motor oil if it will sit for a bit.

For me I am on the fence on if I want to run break in oil or just regular motor oil. My engine is a roller cam build so I dont really need the high zinc but from the reading ive done over the years it seems a break in oil is best for a fresh engine regardless of cam type as it will help promote seating the rings in.

OK, I wanna join in on an OIL thread. My 81 has an auto zone crate 302. Unknown miles but been in truck less than 2 years - I doubnt there are that many miles - this may the original oil ---ugh....

I used to use Valvoline high mileage in my old junk. Worked in my Olds Aurora with 210K miles on it. But what to use in this newer engine? The 0w 15s seem kinda thin and new school.

Would you guys still recommend the Rotella T4 for this engine? Seems cheap enough 15w-30 going into summer in NC? highs in 90s but I probably won;t drive it that much in that hot weather.

What say you?