Bullnose Forums

Winter 1, Bullnose 0

ratdude747

I managed to do something really stupid today! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Long story short, I stuck my Bullnose in a snowy field and get to have AAA tow it out tomorrow. But that's boring, so here's how I managed to do that.

As some of you might have seen in my 2020 Virtual Truck Show videos, I live on a narrow 1 lane drive with a bare grassy field on the other side. Which isn't plowed at the moment. And has a low shoulder, eroded for yours truly (and others) overshooting, and spinning tires trying to get back on the road.

I decided it'd be a good day to drive the Bullnose... it's sat for a week, good idea. Go to back it out, and overshoot, barely. Thanks to all the snow and ice, I can't get it back on the road. Not the first time I've had this happen, so I do what I've done before and back it further into the field (downhill) to fix it... get about 10 feet from the road, and it jams in the 6" of snow on the ground still. Genius! :nabble_sarcastic-23_orig:

Despite my best efforts to shovel it out so I could back futher down (or try to come back the way I came and build momentum), I couldn't help but spin tires... both of them (having a locker/LSD wouldn't have helped). Stuck in a deep(ish) rut...

The good news is I have other vehicles... the bad news is one of them is out of commission (1995 Ranger with blown up rear brakes yet to be fixed thanks to the persistent snow), and the other is my wife's 2006 Kia Sedona I recently bought and have had to drop the oil pan on three times since due to sludge plugging the oil pickup (lots of neglect plus boy genius here running some B12 Chemtool in the crankcase). Which is what I have been driving to work... and I guess still will be, praying the oil pickup doesn't plug again in the mean time. Before anybody asks, I've had all sorts of oil/solvent mixes (ATF, MMO, etc.) in that Kia engine trying to clean it out... seems to be getting better (and when the pickup isn't plugged, it actually runs well!).

This is why I can't have nice things. :nabble_smiley_argh:

At least I'm not in Texas and have utilities... my cousins in Dallas not so much. Better count my blessings.

Y'all having fun this winter???

Yep, the snow coming tomorrow means 'its a Thursday in February' here.

I'm surprised you couldn't get the truck downhill, rut or not, but I didn't see your video.

Have you considered investing in a pair of chains?

I know they limit top speed, but when I used to need them there was nothing going to stop me.

My suggestion for the Kia would be to leave the solvents out and just keep high detergent oil in it, changing the filter often.

I don't know if you opened pandoras box already, and now it's all coming out in chunks.

The worst sludging I've ever seen was in my mother's B2 Passat.

But she wouldn't listen about letting the turbo cool or using the proper spec oil, so I told her "I'm done"

I'm surprised you couldn't get the truck downhill, rut or not, but I didn't see your video.

I know they limit top speed, but when I used to need them there was nothing going to stop me.

My suggestion for the Kia would be to leave the solvents out and just keep high detergent oil in it, changing the filter often.

I don't know if you opened pandoras box already, and now it's all coming out in chunks.

But she wouldn't listen about letting the turbo cool or using the proper spec oil, so I told her "I'm done"

Yeah, pandora's box of chunks and flakes of sludge. The first time I dropped it, I pulled 1/4-1/2 a cup of sludge out of the lower pan and lower crankcase (and installed a new oil pump). Less the next time, and even less the third (and more time until I started having pressure issues due to a plugged pickup).

First pan drop: (replaced pump, cleaned pan):

DSCN0660.thumb.jpg.41e92113262256c432f602123dca86d5.jpg

DSCN0661.thumb.jpg.33e35dcb90c8cf6b37b592ce25f11f72.jpg

Second pan drop (cleaned pickup, replaced pan)

IMG_20210205_164235.thumb.jpg.6d63e064dbf60e45c7e2d6c8b1fd0c14.jpg

IMG_20210205_182839.thumb.jpg.5302d2b05e571bac5abd2b5a466060ab.jpg

Third pan drop (cleaned pickup and pan):

IMG_20210208_173202.thumb.jpg.b433161ad4541264aebe8f6a4edc5934.jpg

IMG_20210208_172641.thumb.jpg.f5c3633adddd7e84aac48b8ae301efa3.jpg

Currently I'm running 0W20 Supertech (Walmart) High-Milage full synthetic and a cheapo STP filter (paper cartridge, which happens to make it inspectable non-destructively. Will do an oil change at 1000 miles or so (unless it plugs again, or longer if the filter doesn't plug up as fast as before).

Yeah, pandora's box of chunks and flakes of sludge. The first time I dropped it, I pulled 1/4-1/2 a cup of sludge out of the lower pan and lower crankcase (and installed a new oil pump). Less the next time, and even less the third (and more time until I started having pressure issues due to a plugged pickup).

Currently I'm running 0W20 Supertech (Walmart) High-Milage full synthetic and a cheapo STP filter (paper cartridge, which happens to make it inspectable non-destructively. Will do an oil change at 1000 miles or so (unless it plugs again, or longer if the filter doesn't plug up as fast as before).

That is GROSS! YUK! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Good luck. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the Bullnose situation: It's a gradual downhill... snow packed too hard and jammed me backing up.

I really wish they'd widen the freaking drive... hell, take a few ft off my front yard for all I care... Heck, I've gotten stuck in frost or even just a half-decent rain. But in those cases, backing up and turning around usually fixed things (except the time I backed into a fire hydrant and utility pole... oops!)

Nasty snow like this isn't the norm in the winter. Usually we hardly get any. Hence why I never invested in chains (every time I'd find used ones, they'd be $$$...)

Try diesel oil. (Supertech is fine!)

It has a lot more detergent (that helps keep debris in suspension) and will allow deposits to dissolve over time.

Since diesels usually have much longer oil change intervals they need to get that junk to the filter.

Used to be diesel oil had much more ZDDP but since they started putting Cat's on diesels it's just not possible anymore.

I can only say that my truck is spotless under the valve covers, and this engine doesn't get much respect.

In fact.... it was Feb 16 2008 that I spun the bottom end.

Man it was bitter that morning!

At least I'm not in Texas and have utilities... my cousins in Dallas not so much. Better count my blessings.

I saw a map yesterday showing how much of the USA was covered in snow. Texas? South Louisiana? Huh? Strange days indeed. We have had a pretty easy winter up here on the coast...in fact up until the first week of February, it was about the mildest (and snow free) winter in memory.

Still, I feel for the folks down south with frozen pipes and no electricity. That situation is no joke. Frozen pipes are not really an issue for us here...they're all buried deep enough. In extreme cold, it can be an issue with mobile homes, but they usually have their exposed water lines heat traced anyway.

Power outages are pretty common for us in the stormy winter weather, so we have a 10k watt backup generator that runs on gas or propane. It really is a must around here. The power is usually only out for a few hours at a time, but it can be out for a full day or sometimes two days. About 15 years ago, we were a solid week without power in the middle of the winter.

In any case, I wish them all the best down there until this all gets sorted out. I bet there will be a run on generators in the coming weeks/months.

I saw a map yesterday showing how much of the USA was covered in snow. Texas? South Louisiana? Huh? Strange days indeed. We have had a pretty easy winter up here on the coast...in fact up until the first week of February, it was about the mildest (and snow free) winter in memory.

Still, I feel for the folks down south with frozen pipes and no electricity. That situation is no joke. Frozen pipes are not really an issue for us here...they're all buried deep enough. In extreme cold, it can be an issue with mobile homes, but they usually have their exposed water lines heat traced anyway.

Power outages are pretty common for us in the stormy winter weather, so we have a 10k watt backup generator that runs on gas or propane. It really is a must around here. The power is usually only out for a few hours at a time, but it can be out for a full day or sometimes two days. About 15 years ago, we were a solid week without power in the middle of the winter.

In any case, I wish them all the best down there until this all gets sorted out. I bet there will be a run on generators in the coming weeks/months.

Yes, all the best of luck to those down south battling this unexpected weather. Having adapted to living in a place with harsh winter weather after moving from "lotus land", I know how challenging it can can be to have a crash course in living with no power, heat or water.

Even still, when the weather is cold enough all kinds of weird things start happening and every little thing becomes a real PITA. I went out to start my bullnose in the morning last week and it was about -30F. First turn of the key revealed that my faithful group 65 Interstate battery had decided it had finally had enough. I was able to jump it with the battery from my wife's Rogue, and since I had both block heaters plugged in overnight it fired up no problem. Then I noticed that the front driver's side tire was mysteriously flat. I carried a compressor over through the snow, but it wouldn't run, so I had to carry it into the house to let it thaw. After carrying it back outside 15 minutes later, it grudgingly started and ran but every rubber o-ring in the hose fittings were leaking air so it took me another 20 minutes or so to very slowly fill the tire (which is still holding air now, so why it was flat in the first place I have no idea). So in the end it only took me about an extra hour or so to get going, but at least the truck was nice and warm inside by then!

LD

That looks like what I used to see on vehicles run with Quaker State. I bought a used 1970 1/2 Falcon wagon with a 302, under the valve covers it was pretty well sludged up, I was using Kendall at the time, so a number of changes later with Kendall 10W-30 and Autolite FL1 filters and the sludge slowly vanished.

What is probably happening in the Kia is much the same, sludge in the upper portions of the engine is making it's way into the oil pan. The other issue is the size and design of the pickup. Ford, for years had a "bypass valve" in the pickup, it was the metal bar across the screen and a metal grommet in the screen that sat against the bar. Screen clogs and it lifts slightly (this was how chunks of the timing gear get in the pump and jam it) the idea being to keep oil pressure.