Bullnose Forums

I Bought another Truck without Trying to

Angelo Voltura

You are going to have a good truck for not much money. Well done, Angelo! :nabble_anim_claps:

I hope so! We will see with the engine situation though. Id like to get a decent battery in it so I can check out all the electrical, if its bad enough I might gut it all and throw a harness from a 79 in it. Lord knows I have enough parts to build a whole truck out of them.

Does anyone have a nice front bumper they'd be willing to sell? Preferably without the trim, but not too picky.

Also, I have push bars in those style for 78/79 bumpers, 80-86 and 87-91 years and the means to measure and reproduce them now, so that may be in the works...

It's not awful, honestly I think a small piece of sheet metal would take care of it. I don't plan on driving it in the snow so I'm not too worried about rot.

True story: A friend at work has an old Ranger with a Fred Flintstone hole in the floor [not too big]. I gave him a couple of my old and not too pretty license plates. He cut the rot, applied some sealant, drilled holes and pop riveted the tags in place several years ago and the repair is still holding!

• 3 weeks later...

It's not awful, honestly I think a small piece of sheet metal would take care of it. I don't plan on driving it in the snow so I'm not too worried about rot.

True story: A friend at work has an old Ranger with a Fred Flintstone hole in the floor [not too big]. I gave him a couple of my old and not too pretty license plates. He cut the rot, applied some sealant, drilled holes and pop riveted the tags in place several years ago and the repair is still holding!

In true fashion, I can't seem to leave anything alone. My friend took my wagon wheels and blasted them 5 times and acid bathed them, I guess they were really rough with lots of layers of paint. He's getting them ready for powdercoat, nice and thick like factory. I mounted up a tire before they went to paint, and I think this truck is going to look sharp with wagons on it.

received_835498087035191.thumb.jpeg.15f3eff5650493e65844ab1684c77931.jpegSnapchat-1085748733.thumb.jpg.6d47ea85e49d8536d637cd3bd57403cc.jpg

I got the push bar shipped in from my buddy traveling out in Idaho. It's pretty decent, couple dings but should clean up well. It is about 2" narrower than the one on dads bull and has welded tubes. I have also aquired one for a 78/79 front end, and I want to make templates of all 3 so that people can have them again since they are not getting any easier to find.

The other thing on my mind is the motor. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to carb the truck. What I haven't made up my mind on yet is what I want to do with the motor. Do I just get it running? Or do a swap since it's coming out anyway. I'm not super keen on having a stick in this thing...I was thinking about a Windsor swap.

But then something crossed my mind. I've got M stuff out the booty....How about we stuff a 400 in this thing? Only I need are V8 perches. I was also thinking about an E4OD with a deisel standalone controller, but my buddy does have a 4x4 C6 floating around. I have enough parts I could easily put together a 400 that would poop all over this 300 as far as power goes and still be satisfied with it. And besides....who the heck ever does that swap???

What you guys think about stuffing a 400 in this girl??

In true fashion, I can't seem to leave anything alone. My friend took my wagon wheels and blasted them 5 times and acid bathed them, I guess they were really rough with lots of layers of paint. He's getting them ready for powdercoat, nice and thick like factory. I mounted up a tire before they went to paint, and I think this truck is going to look sharp with wagons on it.

I got the push bar shipped in from my buddy traveling out in Idaho. It's pretty decent, couple dings but should clean up well. It is about 2" narrower than the one on dads bull and has welded tubes. I have also aquired one for a 78/79 front end, and I want to make templates of all 3 so that people can have them again since they are not getting any easier to find.

The other thing on my mind is the motor. I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to carb the truck. What I haven't made up my mind on yet is what I want to do with the motor. Do I just get it running? Or do a swap since it's coming out anyway. I'm not super keen on having a stick in this thing...I was thinking about a Windsor swap.

But then something crossed my mind. I've got M stuff out the booty....How about we stuff a 400 in this thing? Only I need are V8 perches. I was also thinking about an E4OD with a deisel standalone controller, but my buddy does have a 4x4 C6 floating around. I have enough parts I could easily put together a 400 that would poop all over this 300 as far as power goes and still be satisfied with it. And besides....who the heck ever does that swap???

What you guys think about stuffing a 400 in this girl??

Angelo - Those wheels are going to look really good on the truck!

As for the engine, my question is what are you going to do with the truck? If a daily driver the 300 would be quite adequate. But if you are going for "fun", the 400 will be a whole lot more power. And you know what people think of the 400, so it would be cool to show them up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for the engine, my question is what are you going to do with the truck? If a daily driver the 300 would be quite adequate. But if you are going for "fun", the 400 will be a whole lot more power. And you know what people think of the 400, so it would be cool to show them up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

It's a summer time driver, kind of like 79. Jump in and take it out whenever I feel like it. Might even become a summer daily. I loved my 300, but I need a little more power than that especially in this thing. I've got enough stuff laying around that I can make a reasonably powerful engine out of spare parts. I'd go Windsor route, but considering I have a handful of 400s already....:nabble_thinking-26_orig::nabble_thinking-26_orig:

It's a summer time driver, kind of like 79. Jump in and take it out whenever I feel like it. Might even become a summer daily. I loved my 300, but I need a little more power than that especially in this thing. I've got enough stuff laying around that I can make a reasonably powerful engine out of spare parts. I'd go Windsor route, but considering I have a handful of 400s already....:nabble_thinking-26_orig::nabble_thinking-26_orig:

If I had that many parts for a 400 and for something different I would go 400.

Uncle had one in and older 70's 4x4 and I used it to pull the 2 car trailer with the cars loaded and the 8 foot bed also loaded with no problems.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

Uncle had one in and older 70's 4x4 and I used it to pull the 2 car trailer with the cars loaded and the 8 foot bed also loaded with no problems.

Dave ----

Thats kind of what I'm thinking. Does anyone know if the standard SBF perches are the ones they used on bullnose 400 powered trucks? I am pretty sure they are. Which would make this swap way easier.

Either way, small update. My wheels are almost done being blasted and powder coated. They do have some pitting but I dont think you'll see it too bad. There was 6+ layers of paint on some of them. My buddy told me he had to blast them 8 times and acid bathe them twice. This is where we are at with those. The close up is the worst wheel.

received_460037991787283.thumb.jpeg.9807f95024def0e75f3812158ca4b21e.jpegreceived_2504712179824048.thumb.jpeg.b17e8fa4b8ecdddd10c871cb9dc6e79c.jpeg

received_201735741701930.thumb.jpeg.5c14a5d09e9557247c59ba13f382e2c6.jpegFB_IMG_1615862710775.jpg.115e7cc335df0708b08d9ec5f33afd3c.jpg

I spent some time cleaning up some surface rust on the push bar my buddy sent me. It turns out its "Grizzly" brand...never heard of them. Aluminum foil and warm water works amazing, definitely not using steel wool again.

Snapchat-986330425.thumb.jpg.939eff016e397262dd75dae50bdb3ab3.jpgSnapchat-740644602.thumb.jpg.0738c5c17e7b80d50878d7e82752225e.jpgSnapchat-1744334177.thumb.jpg.d03b23f7a0b392d453659e2497f5c441.jpgSnapchat-1327061498.thumb.jpg.abeee64f216ef8c27b6f60483fdc90ce.jpg

I definitely need to spend more time with it but I am satisfied for what I got with the half hour I spent on it so far.

A while back I did manage to find a brand new smoked bug shield for this girl as well!

FB_IMG_1615862228370.thumb.jpg.98cd6c7a0baa96c2e654759de81e9f06.jpg

I did order 2 KC lights for it and I got the covers in, I chose black and yellow, as I think those will stand up nice against a white truck. I also got new clear headlight lenses (H6054) in in prep for my Australian headlight conversion and had a set of chrome stone guards floating around I'll be using.

20210313_125556.jpg.eae81157637c62dd4b68aafab5679c71.jpg

If anyone has a plain 87 argent grille, I'd be interested in it.

Dave ----

Thats kind of what I'm thinking. Does anyone know if the standard SBF perches are the ones they used on bullnose 400 powered trucks? I am pretty sure they are. Which would make this swap way easier.

Either way, small update. My wheels are almost done being blasted and powder coated. They do have some pitting but I dont think you'll see it too bad. There was 6+ layers of paint on some of them. My buddy told me he had to blast them 8 times and acid bathe them twice. This is where we are at with those. The close up is the worst wheel.

I spent some time cleaning up some surface rust on the push bar my buddy sent me. It turns out its "Grizzly" brand...never heard of them. Aluminum foil and warm water works amazing, definitely not using steel wool again.

I definitely need to spend more time with it but I am satisfied for what I got with the half hour I spent on it so far.

A while back I did manage to find a brand new smoked bug shield for this girl as well!

I did order 2 KC lights for it and I got the covers in, I chose black and yellow, as I think those will stand up nice against a white truck. I also got new clear headlight lenses (H6054) in in prep for my Australian headlight conversion and had a set of chrome stone guards floating around I'll be using.

If anyone has a plain 87 argent grille, I'd be interested in it.

No, the 351M/400 engines used different perches from the small-blocks. Here's our spreadsheet from the page at Documentation/Exterior/Frames/Engine Perches, but the MPC info is there as well if you want to check:

7640052.thumb.jpg.151bb0c5bac786577381d8e044ea0603.jpg

But the wheels look good, and I don't think that corrosion will be all that visible.

Boy, did that push bar clean up! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

I have a hunch it was probably a southern truck at one point or another. There is a decent size hole in the floor pan but not unfixable, especially as you guys know what I've dealt with in the past. For as cheap as I got it I probably won't sink an absolute ton of money into it since the body has some pretty good dents in it, but who knows, I've done crazier things. I may spray it with some implement paint to get it all one color again this summer. I figure even if I parted it out it was worth what I paid for it. It's only money right?

Look at the DSO on the door tag, then Google "ford dso xx", with xx being your region number. It will tell you what region the truck was sold to.

Mine is 48 which equals the Detroit Region.

tag.thumb.jpg.11abe3ba0f46e2d360912b45885ab08c.jpg

I have a hunch it was probably a southern truck at one point or another. There is a decent size hole in the floor pan but not unfixable, especially as you guys know what I've dealt with in the past. For as cheap as I got it I probably won't sink an absolute ton of money into it since the body has some pretty good dents in it, but who knows, I've done crazier things. I may spray it with some implement paint to get it all one color again this summer. I figure even if I parted it out it was worth what I paid for it. It's only money right?

Look at the DSO on the door tag, then Google "ford dso xx", with xx being your region number. It will tell you what region the truck was sold to.

Mine is 48 which equals the Detroit Region.

Why Google it? Why not just look at Ford's documentation right here on the site: Documentation/Specifications/DSO Codes?