Bullnose Forums

Distributor shaft bushings

Lima Delta

Can anybody point me to a part number(s) for the shaft bushings in a DS2 distributor? It's my understanding these have never been common replacement parts.

In cleaning up a spare unit I have, I noticed that there was a slight bit of wiggle at the bottom end of the shaft (but not the top). After pulling everything apart, the shaft is in good shape but it appears the bottom bushing is missing....

LD

Sorry, but the Master Parts Catalog doesn't appear to show any parts for the distributor except the adaptor, cap, diaphragm, and rotor assembly.

But, I think that is a standard sized bronze bushing. So I'd use some calipers and determine the ID and OD of a needed bushing and just order one. You might have to cut it to length as they come in standard lengths.

At some point Ford did away with the lower bushing with the idea that the pilot in the block is (a) more important for alignment and (b) the cast iron/steel shaft with plenty of oil will outlast and bushing © if the distributor assembly to block alignment is off a few thousandths it will eat up the bottom bushing rapidly, (d) the upper bushing rarely was lubed during services so wore faster, with no lower oil can reach the upper easier.

I don't think my EFI distributors have them, in fact they have a seal at the bottom.

At some point Ford did away with the lower bushing with the idea that the pilot in the block is (a) more important for alignment and (b) the cast iron/steel shaft with plenty of oil will outlast and bushing © if the distributor assembly to block alignment is off a few thousandths it will eat up the bottom bushing rapidly, (d) the upper bushing rarely was lubed during services so wore faster, with no lower oil can reach the upper easier.

I don't think my EFI distributors have them, in fact they have a seal at the bottom.

Ok, good to know - thanks guys.

LD

A non-points dist does not have the side load a points dist. did and why on high mileage points dist. you would need to check the top for shaft play.

Bad timing chain or dist. shaft play would make the timing jump all over the place.

Dave ----

A non-points dist does not have the side load a points dist. did and why on high mileage points dist. you would need to check the top for shaft play.

Bad timing chain or dist. shaft play would make the timing jump all over the place.

Dave ----

85lebaront2 nailed it. There is no bottom bushing, because the shaft pilots into a hole in the block.