Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

Ok, two questions. Shouldn’t the accelerator pump plunger be in contact with the arm?

And what is that yellow fitting screwed into the side of the thermostat housing by the upper radiator hose? Nothing is connected to it.

There's a gap setting for the accelerator pump.

Mine was 0.015" IIRC. (It's been a while since I had a 4180 or any other factory emissions carb)

I do believe your vacuum advance should be plumbed through the yellow Vacuum Control Valve.

It is there to step up the idle speed if the truck starts to overheat in traffic by using full manifold vacuum, instead of through the calibrated vacuum restriction.

You can see this on the vacuum routing diagram that should be on the radiator support.

Maybe yours has been painted over?

There's a gap setting for the accelerator pump.

Mine was 0.015" IIRC. (It's been a while since I had a 4180 or any other factory emissions carb)

I do believe your vacuum advance should be plumbed through the yellow Vacuum Control Valve.

It is there to step up the idle speed if the truck starts to overheat in traffic by using full manifold vacuum, instead of through the calibrated vacuum restriction.

You can see this on the vacuum routing diagram that should be on the radiator support.

Maybe yours has been painted over?

Well...I braved the -4 high temperature for today and went out and snapped this photo.

407FAED3-FD92-4521-BAC7-1A0C729487DD.thumb.jpeg.921173053d718439796e6970403d85fe.jpeg

I don’t know what most of this means but I am pretty sure that at least half of it is missing or not hooked up. For example, the distributor is hooked directly to the carb and the drawing shows a few things between those two items. So I guess the question is...is it worth trying to put it back the way it should be or just figure out what is there and run it like it is?

Well...I braved the -4 high temperature for today and went out and snapped this photo.

I don’t know what most of this means but I am pretty sure that at least half of it is missing or not hooked up. For example, the distributor is hooked directly to the carb and the drawing shows a few things between those two items. So I guess the question is...is it worth trying to put it back the way it should be or just figure out what is there and run it like it is?

Carl,

Honestly it looks like your accelerator pump plunger is stuck in.

Some things like the air cleaner cold weather modulator and the throttle kicker would help your truck run better and or more smoothly.

Most of the rest is emissions related, and that would depend on if you need where you're registering the truck.

But you can see how the distributor advance would be plumbed through that frontmost vacuum control valve.

One leg is direct to intake manifold vacuum, the other path is through the vacuum restriction.

Carl - Jim is right on at least some of the things in the snow plow package. I have the 1980 Dealers Fact Book but don't have it up on the site, although I do have the 1981 version on the site and I doubt it changed in a year. In the menu go to Documentation and then click on Literature. That will open a page with a spreadsheet that shows all of the literature on the site. Go down to Dealer Facts Book and click on the link for 1981.

Then go to the F-Series tab, the 4X4 tab, and then the Optional Equipment tab. If you scroll down to Packages/Groups you'll see that the snow plow package is discussed. But it doesn't say what is in it. However, if you go to things like Shock Absorbers and then Stabilizer Bars you'll see that they are included or required with the snow plow package.

But there are other things, like cooling & batteries, that changed if you had the snow plow package, so read through all of them and you'll figure it out.

And, by the way, you shared a link to your report. But do you want your report to show in the thread? I can do that.

I finally had a little time to research the snow plow package that this truck came with. Following Gary's advise I used the 1981 Dealer Facts Book to uncover the following about F350's (Other models included different things).

There are two levels of show plow packages. Snow plow special (SPS) and snow plow special plus (SPSP).

Here is what was included:

Gauges - Ammeter and oil pressure (SPSP)

Clearance lights - (SPS)

Multi-surface tires - (SPS)

Shock absorbers - heavy duty front and rear (not quad) (SPS)

Battery - 63 amp hr (also included with 400/C6 combination) (SPSP)

Cooling Package - I have no idea what is included in this yet (SPSP)

I finally had a little time to research the snow plow package that this truck came with. Following Gary's advise I used the 1981 Dealer Facts Book to uncover the following about F350's (Other models included different things).

There are two levels of show plow packages. Snow plow special (SPS) and snow plow special plus (SPSP).

Clearance lights - (SPS)

Well done, Carl! And now you know. :nabble_anim_claps:

Clearance lights - (SPS)

I'm really surprised that Ford didn't upgrade the alternator for a winter vehicle. :nabble_anim_confused:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n88462/9ACCEE3C-9390-4BC5-8B6D-EDEBEC57A98A.jpeg

Your hood seal is GONE. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Keeping a bunch of water out of the carb would be a good move.

(You might put a rubber washer on the air cleaner nut too)

Good point, Jim.

Carl - Go to our page in Documentation/Underhood/Cowl Seal to see how to use a garage door seal to make a cowl-to-hood seal for very little money.

Good point, Jim.

Carl - Go to our page in Documentation/Underhood/Cowl Seal to see how to use a garage door seal to make a cowl-to-hood seal for very little money.

I first noticed how crusty the element was, then all the rust inside the housing.

It's never good when the lid fills up and follows the stud right into the carb.

Hydrolock is a very real possibility that will total your engine when you bend a rod before the engine even starts.

But it could help explain why the accelerator pump is seized.