Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

And be sure not to overtighten those U-bolts.

If you do the caps will distort and the needles will be toast in short order.

(I've learned this lesson too many times now! :nabble_smiley_blush:)

I forget what the torque figure is, but it isn't as much as you might think.

I sure hope I didn’t over tighten them! :nabble_smiley_oh_no: I used a short wrench and tightened them with the trans in neutral. So I could only tighten them as tight as I could hold the driveshaft from turning with my other hand.

I sure hope I didn’t over tighten them! :nabble_smiley_oh_no: I used a short wrench and tightened them with the trans in neutral. So I could only tighten them as tight as I could hold the driveshaft from turning with my other hand.

12 for 5/16 and 20 for 3/8 if I recall.

If you had the wheels off the ground I don't imagine you got them too tight.

12 for 5/16 and 20 for 3/8 if I recall.

If you had the wheels off the ground I don't imagine you got them too tight.

Does anyone know the size of the rear axel spindle nut on a 1980 f350? I keep seeing 2 3/8 and 2 9/16 so I'm not sure which one I need.

Update: I decided to just open it up and see since i need to get to the brakes anyway. Looks like 2 9/16 according to my tape measure. I ordered one on Amazon and as luck would have it, it will arrive tomorrow!

20210612_174448.jpg.6e350837a24d7303dcfced0e647a4501.jpg

Does anyone know the size of the rear axel spindle nut on a 1980 f350? I keep seeing 2 3/8 and 2 9/16 so I'm not sure which one I need.

Update: I decided to just open it up and see since i need to get to the brakes anyway. Looks like 2 9/16 according to my tape measure. I ordered one on Amazon and as luck would have it, it will arrive tomorrow!

I thought I would switch gears a bit and work on the heater controls. My truck has the simple system with only temp, heat/defrost, and fan control so here is no vacuum. The cable out under the hood had been wired into a permanent position. I undid the wire and noticed pretty quickly that the reason it was wired was because he cable was frozen but it did wiggle just a little bit. I decided to spray penetrant into the cable and see if I could work it free. To my surprise, after many sprays and working it back and forth, it was moving reasonably well. Still needs more work but it is moving.

Next I went into the cab and got to the controls and noticed the temp slider moved way to easily. After disassembly I realized someone had cut the cable! :nabble_smiley_angry:. Any ideas on how to reattach the cable or if there are replacements available?

A9D84E8F-B23D-4532-A023-4A819CB3A187.jpeg.1b283c5ddfc76f72fab71ce771cbec67.jpeg

I thought I would switch gears a bit and work on the heater controls. My truck has the simple system with only temp, heat/defrost, and fan control so here is no vacuum. The cable out under the hood had been wired into a permanent position. I undid the wire and noticed pretty quickly that the reason it was wired was because he cable was frozen but it did wiggle just a little bit. I decided to spray penetrant into the cable and see if I could work it free. To my surprise, after many sprays and working it back and forth, it was moving reasonably well. Still needs more work but it is moving.

Next I went into the cab and got to the controls and noticed the temp slider moved way to easily. After disassembly I realized someone had cut the cable! :nabble_smiley_angry:. Any ideas on how to reattach the cable or if there are replacements available?

That's a bummer! You got one cable freed up only to find the other one had been cut. :nabble_smiley_cry:

To replace it you might get lucky and find one via the part number, shown below from our page at Documentation/HVAC. But more likely you'll have to go to a lawnmower shop and have them make you one. They might be able to use the old outer housing, or may just make a new one complete.

18518-header_orig.thumb.jpg.7d8c1f70e8b5b3db46b85c6aa3def836.jpg18518_orig.thumb.jpg.8f67a322e9a6f9927e59ea01a8cba0c8.jpg

That's a bummer! You got one cable freed up only to find the other one had been cut. :nabble_smiley_cry:

To replace it you might get lucky and find one via the part number, shown below from our page at Documentation/HVAC. But more likely you'll have to go to a lawnmower shop and have them make you one. They might be able to use the old outer housing, or may just make a new one complete.

I just found this but the part number is different. The clip on the end looks correct though. To bad it is out of stock.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/heater-amp-ac/heater-cables/e0tz-18552-a-air-control-cable

Thanks for the lawnmower/bicycle shop ideas. I think I'll give those a try before buying a whole new cable.

I finally located my rear differential tag today under 40 years of grease and oil. I had to scrub on it for a bit to make it legible but I think this is what it says.

4.10. E0TA. ARA

603947-4. L. S

Sorry my phone keeps adding periods where I don't want them. The only one in the above is between the 4 and the 1. Can anyone interpret this tag for me? Some of it I think is pretty straight forward but some of it I have no idea what it means. Here is the original if it helps.

20210613_164643.jpg.e150865fa986ffc5e3c77e247259bb8b.jpg

I finally located my rear differential tag today under 40 years of grease and oil. I had to scrub on it for a bit to make it legible but I think this is what it says.

4.10. E0TA. ARA

603947-4. L. S

Sorry my phone keeps adding periods where I don't want them. The only one in the above is between the 4 and the 1. Can anyone interpret this tag for me? Some of it I think is pretty straight forward but some of it I have no idea what it means. Here is the original if it helps.

It is a 4.10:1 limited slip axle

EOTA ARA are the prefix and suffix completing the Ford engineering number.

603947-4 is the bill of materials, aka BOM

Screenshot_2021-06-13-18-28-05-008.thumb.jpeg.4bfabad9853cca65423f99f0f6f33ab7.jpeg