Bullnose Forums

1980 F350 4X4 C6 Project

Atlas75

I would ask. It can't hurt. All he can say is "I don't know". But he might have some good info.

Well...I had a humbling moment today. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I was trying to remove the rear tires and I couldn't get the lug nuts off on the drivers side. I thought they were just froze good so I hit them with PB Blaster and waited...but still they would not budge. Then I thought...let's try tightening them and see if I can work them back and forth. So I turned the nut to the right. Needless to say I figured out pretty quick that the drivers side has reverse threads!

Well...I had a humbling moment today. :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

I was trying to remove the rear tires and I couldn't get the lug nuts off on the drivers side. I thought they were just froze good so I hit them with PB Blaster and waited...but still they would not budge. Then I thought...let's try tightening them and see if I can work them back and forth. So I turned the nut to the right. Needless to say I figured out pretty quick that the drivers side has reverse threads!

Yep, the Dana rear axles have LH nuts on the LH side. đź’ˇ

I just pointed this out in another thread.

Don't the nuts have little dots stamped in the apex's of the hex?

Do your studs have an 'L' stamped in the end?

Yep, the Dana rear axles have LH nuts on the LH side. đź’ˇ

I just pointed this out in another thread.

Don't the nuts have little dots stamped in the apex's of the hex?

Do your studs have an 'L' stamped in the end?

I cleaned up the ends of the studs and sure enough the letter L was stamped in the end. Couldn’t see them with all the dirt. I also found a small letter L stamped on the lug nut also. Unless you were looking for it, you probably wouldn’t see it.

I cleaned up the ends of the studs and sure enough the letter L was stamped in the end. Couldn’t see them with all the dirt. I also found a small letter L stamped on the lug nut also. Unless you were looking for it, you probably wouldn’t see it.

While wrestling with the lug nuts this past weekend (see post above) I took a few photos and I am wondering what they are. First off...what is this?

B681230E-FD61-4BC0-A2BD-0E3CD2DA5EC4.thumb.jpeg.c1b5c26980165ae6db00200f543be1e5.jpeg

It looks like an old fuel filter but is that what it really is? Also, what is the module behind it with the wire coming out of it? My current fuel filter is located right up at the carb.

Second question is with the brake lines. In this photo you can see the hard line coming from the front of the truck and transition to a soft line to the splitter. At the bottom of the splitter there is a soft line that comes out and runs up and over that bracket and just ends there. It looks like there is something plugged in the end of the line. What is the purpose of that?

4F7BD6DC-CC6A-4249-86BC-4873C812511D.thumb.jpeg.a657bc65c6fbe9ffc7932fb69705528a.jpeg

While wrestling with the lug nuts this past weekend (see post above) I took a few photos and I am wondering what they are. First off...what is this?

It looks like an old fuel filter but is that what it really is? Also, what is the module behind it with the wire coming out of it? My current fuel filter is located right up at the carb.

Second question is with the brake lines. In this photo you can see the hard line coming from the front of the truck and transition to a soft line to the splitter. At the bottom of the splitter there is a soft line that comes out and runs up and over that bracket and just ends there. It looks like there is something plugged in the end of the line. What is the purpose of that?

The second thing is the rear axle breather.

The bolt that secures the brake hose splitter is hollow and allows the rear axle to relieve pressure as the gears and bearings heat things up.

Otherwise gear oil would be forced past the hub seals into the brake drums.

The first photo surely looks like an abandoned fuel pump and filter.

Can you tell where the red wire goes?

The second thing is the rear axle breather.

The bolt that secures the brake hose splitter is hollow and allows the rear axle to relieve pressure as the gears and bearings heat things up.

Otherwise gear oil would be forced past the hub seals into the brake drums.

The first photo surely looks like an abandoned fuel pump and filter.

Can you tell where the red wire goes?

Is that some sort of screen in the end of the axel breather hose? Or is it just plugged with gunk and I need to clean it out?

I’ll trace the wire on that fuel stuff and report back. Maybe get a better photo or two as well. It certainly looks like it has been there for a while.

Is that some sort of screen in the end of the axel breather hose? Or is it just plugged with gunk and I need to clean it out?

I’ll trace the wire on that fuel stuff and report back. Maybe get a better photo or two as well. It certainly looks like it has been there for a while.

There should be a little vent cap with a clip that attaches to the top frame rail.

Someone else was saying that a mud dauber had plugged theirs up, so it couldn't hurt to check.

I really don't know anything about the pump, which seems to be outside the frame rail, below your cab.

Could it be that someone rigged it up until proper replacement parts for a dead fuel pump were found?

There should be a little vent cap with a clip that attaches to the top frame rail.

Someone else was saying that a mud dauber had plugged theirs up, so it couldn't hurt to check.

I really don't know anything about the pump, which seems to be outside the frame rail, below your cab.

Could it be that someone rigged it up until proper replacement parts for a dead fuel pump were found?

I like to use a small fuel filter on the end of the vent hose. That way yuk can't get into the axle. But it doesn't stop a mud dobber or some such from plugging the end of the hose.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use a small fuel filter on the end of the vent hose. That way yuk can't get into the axle. But it doesn't stop a mud dobber or some such from plugging the end of the hose.

I finally had a chance to bleed the brakes today thinking that should be step one in figuring out the soft pedal. I would first like to thank the brake gods for allowing all 4 bleeders to loosen without breaking off! I was using a hand vacuum bleeder and started at the rear passenger side. After just a min or so the fluid was flowing clean but had lots of bubbles. No matter what I tried, I could not get the bubbles to go away. I finally gave up and moved to the rear drivers side. Again the fluid flowed clear after 30 seconds or so but this time, no bubbles! I then moved to the front and both sides bleed fine with no bubbles.

So back to the rear passenger side...are the bubbles an indication of a bad wheel cylinder? I haven't noticed it leaking. But...being a Dana 60, I don't have easy access to inspect it either. If it is the wheel cylinder, has anyone rebuilt one or is it not worth it and just buy the unit complete?

I finally had a chance to bleed the brakes today thinking that should be step one in figuring out the soft pedal. I would first like to thank the brake gods for allowing all 4 bleeders to loosen without breaking off! I was using a hand vacuum bleeder and started at the rear passenger side. After just a min or so the fluid was flowing clean but had lots of bubbles. No matter what I tried, I could not get the bubbles to go away. I finally gave up and moved to the rear drivers side. Again the fluid flowed clear after 30 seconds or so but this time, no bubbles! I then moved to the front and both sides bleed fine with no bubbles.

So back to the rear passenger side...are the bubbles an indication of a bad wheel cylinder? I haven't noticed it leaking. But...being a Dana 60, I don't have easy access to inspect it either. If it is the wheel cylinder, has anyone rebuilt one or is it not worth it and just buy the unit complete?

My experience is that the bleeder valves leak at the thread and introduce air into the stream, creating bubbles. You might try packing a heavy grease around the base of the bleeder valve to seal it.