Bullnose Forums

A/C Amp Draw

kramttocs

Came across this table from a doc on the alternator page:

ampDraw.png.84a96a1c4a4451c279a19e87772540f0.png

Heater: 12.3A. The blower relay addresses part of this.

A/C: 26A. Assuming that includes the blower it still leaves 13A.

Does that indicate that it would benefit from a relay at C616? Or am I overlooking something? I didn't think the clutch took this much.

ac.png.33c6a849d264a909551cfc17c2188b72.png

I didn't think the clutch took this much.

According to my 1984 FSM, the clutch amp draw would be 4.7 amps.

ac_clutch.jpg.0ffb52f6923cd3f39e5c3bbc31a17de6.jpg

Below are the amps for the blower on F150-F350 and Bronco with standard and high output heater:

blower_amps.jpg.749ae054ea1d49698c14c02dd0d2a993.jpg

I couldn't find anything specific regarding the amp draw of the AC Blower...it is slightly different isn't it? I assume it is a higher flow (thus higher amps) than the standard blower?

The only other power consumer in the AC system would be the solenoid on the carb, which might draw and amp or two?...I'm not sure. (Not present on the 460 and Diesel anyway...just the "little" engines, like mine lol).

Below are the amps for the blower on F150-F350 and Bronco with standard and high output heater:

I couldn't find anything specific regarding the amp draw of the AC Blower...it is slightly different isn't it? I assume it is a higher flow (thus higher amps) than the standard blower?

The only other power consumer in the AC system would be the solenoid on the carb, which might draw and amp or two?...I'm not sure. (Not present on the 460 and Diesel anyway...just the "little" engines, like mine lol).

Well, I missed Cory and Jim's replies.

Cory - The A/C blower motor is a different part number than the heater motor, but it is hard to imagine that it could pull that much more.

But back to the 26A max current draw that Scott found, I really question that since the whole circuit is fused at 30 amps. I seriously doubt that Ford would fuse something so tightly. :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks for this Cory!- that's the draw I was expecting.

Gary - if you get a chance to test that would be great but no rush.

Jim - regarding the wire size, no I don't, but going off of the Alternator document alone it sure doesn't look like a typo especially when you factor in the 45A footnote (which yes, is crazy) so not sure what all Ford was adding into it.

I was guessing 3-5 amps, so I was happy to see that it was 4.67 lol. Technically, it should be a little less as I think most trucks are going to be running at a higher voltage than 12.8v aren't they?. I haven't checked my truck's old 1G 40amp alternator, but I know my cars were running more like 14.25v (I usually have an Ultragauge installed in my daily drivers).

I was guessing 3-5 amps, so I was happy to see that it was 4.67 lol. Technically, it should be a little less as I think most trucks are going to be running at a higher voltage than 12.8v aren't they?. I haven't checked my truck's old 1G 40amp alternator, but I know my cars were running more like 14.25v (I usually have an Ultragauge installed in my daily drivers).

The current draw on Big Blue's FS10 clutch is 3.8A with battery voltage at 12.5V:

FS10_Clutch_Current.thumb.jpg.cf724d3add5b278b435e10b322b89653.jpg

FWIW, my Chrysler convertible also uses a 30 amp fuse for the AC blower. Clutch is harder to determine as it is fed through a relay underhood that gets it's feed from a 40 amp maxi fuse that also powers the fan relays so with the AC on and hot conditions, it may pull near 40 amps with the cooling fans on high.

Car has what Chrysler calls a 90/140 alternator, which if I remember correctly is 90 amps continuous and 140 amps peak.

The current draw on Big Blue's FS10 clutch is 3.8A with battery voltage at 12.5V:

Thanks Gary!

Between Cory's facts and your test, that should put it to rest.

Bill - good info. I'll need to go back and read that whole document to see if maybe I took the table out of context.