Bullnose Forum

Another "Big Blue" - '86 F350 4x4 7.5L 460

spike_time

10 was my "I'll get at least that" number. Early on with the new engine I didn't get that. Now, with ~1000 miles on the clock it has moved up to 11, and is starting to crowd 12 under ideal circumstances.

Any new engine will loosen up and start sealing better.

Both of which free up more power.

I'm sure you've done some tuning too.

Any new engine will loosen up and start sealing better.

Both of which free up more power.

I'm sure you've done some tuning too.

Yep and yep. Timing and AFR on the latter. And idle vacuum is approaching 20", so I know she's sealing better and better.

To put it in perspective, at least MY perspective, Dad's 351M got 10 MPG or 10 MPG when I got it. But with a different engine, the 351M from Rusty, and a ZF5 to replace the C6, I got it up to 14 MPG at a steady 65 MPH. So if a "little" F150 gets 14 and if I can get 12 out of a rather heavy/loaded F250 then I'm doing pretty well.

Just setting expectations, Tim. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!!

One thing I'm wondering about, is replacing the bushings. Is it basically standard now to use Polyurethane bushings? Do people use them just for the simplicity of install?

I used poly bushings, but I don't think that makes it any easier to install.

From my reading, poly gives a firmer ride and a bit better control, but can squeak if not properly used. And it probably lasts longer than rubber. Rubber gives a better ride and won't make noise. But that is just my limited understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally acquired a replacement tailgate trim piece and I'm taking the red reflector off of the acquire one to put on mine. Mine chrome is in much better shape than the other one.

In pulling the trim off the tailgate, I noticed what I thought where ceramic washers, but I realized they where rubber, just 35 years old.

Is is supposed to have rubber grommets attaching the Trim piece to the tail gate?

I finally acquired a replacement tailgate trim piece and I'm taking the red reflector off of the acquire one to put on mine. Mine chrome is in much better shape than the other one.

In pulling the trim off the tailgate, I noticed what I thought where ceramic washers, but I realized they where rubber, just 35 years old.

Is is supposed to have rubber grommets attaching the Trim piece to the tail gate?

Maybe petrified double side foam tape to keep it from rattling???

Maybe petrified double side foam tape to keep it from rattling???

Well a new problem to tackle.

Found a puddle of oil by the driver side rear tire, after I parked it and can see that the rear outer seal is leaking . I think this came about because I changed out the diff oil recently and with fresh clean oil, easier to leak ... ok, what should I know about replacing it? I'm going to do the bearings and do both sides. This is a 10.25" Ford Limited Slip.