Bullnose Forums

Wrecked my TTB

Ohhh man!

I shattered the ujoint in the strange TTB drive line!

Turns out lockers, and 4Low was to much for it! Also turns out that a two wheel drive, pickup is almost impossible to drive in a Blizzard!

So now I am on the hunt for some new parts but not really sure were to start, can you folks point me in the direction of axel shaft and u-joints. Looking for something that can stand the 4.56 gears and lockers!

Thanks.

CCDDB6B4-1409-42EE-9EEF-7F9D3151FF83.jpeg.64dfeefd3d87f48ce8926c0f2e96d19c.jpeg

39AE195B-4DF4-452C-A5F2-1A672DC78670.jpeg.e04fd50596bdc9367d9b44e1abb2fa2f.jpeg

66FD317F-B881-48BB-8DA3-E428EF58E53B.jpeg.b7add6fb3822d64f51be964e555e68da.jpeg

70D9BEF7-4288-4C84-8914-8EC7CBB6CFC8.jpeg.6fc943ccc4e00ac3c4720260601aa1cd.jpeg

I don't have much problem driving in 2wd with 18" of snow on the ground but I have a good amount of weight in the bed.

(Gary can attest that my job boxes are loaded)

You are always going to have problems with a true locker if you have traction.

Any time you are turning, each front wheel is traveling a different arc, with much different distances.

This is why we have differentials to begin with!

So, you found the weak link in your setup.

Probably a lot better than splitting your carrier. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

What part do you want to fail?

Because geometry and physics say you can't have both axles turning together.

I don't have much problem driving in 2wd with 18" of snow on the ground but I have a good amount of weight in the bed.

Any time you are turning, each front wheel is traveling a different arc, with much different distances.

Man, that is BROKEN!

So, what were you doing that caused it to break? Or, did the u-joint fail due to lack of grease and take the yoke?

Man, that is BROKEN!

So, what were you doing that caused it to break? Or, did the u-joint fail due to lack of grease and take the yoke?

You just did the math in the other thread....

Now look at the tires and factor 4.56 gears into the torque multiplication and ask again how a universal snapped when driving a locker.

Yep, I have always wondered why they even offer lockers for 4wd applications. I can see a posi but not a out right locker. But the TTB unit I was looking at they dont offer a truetrack gear posi like I will be running in my 9", only a stock open type differential or a locker type.

Yep, I have always wondered why they even offer lockers for 4wd applications. I can see a posi but not a out right locker. But the TTB unit I was looking at they dont offer a truetrack gear posi like I will be running in my 9", only a stock open type differential or a locker type.

There are always people who are into swamp buggies, pulling or some other edge case that could really make use of a spool or detroit.

If you don't have slip across the wheels something has to give the moment you turn.

Maybe the best thing would be to get crappy break-away locking hubs?

They are easier to change than an axle.

There are always people who are into swamp buggies, pulling or some other edge case that could really make use of a spool or detroit.

If you don't have slip across the wheels something has to give the moment you turn.

Maybe the best thing would be to get crappy break-away locking hubs?

They are easier to change than an axle.

I have an electric locker in Big Blue. That's because there may be a time I need to ensure that both front wheels will pull. But that's not likely to happen around corners, which is where the problem arises.

Which is why I asked how this one broke. Looked like he was in snow, so I wouldn't have thought that there could be enough torque to break a yoke. Maybe he hit dry pavement?

I have an electric locker in Big Blue. That's because there may be a time I need to ensure that both front wheels will pull. But that's not likely to happen around corners, which is where the problem arises.

Which is why I asked how this one broke. Looked like he was in snow, so I wouldn't have thought that there could be enough torque to break a yoke. Maybe he hit dry pavement?

Look closer at the tires...

If you've got snow that packs (like we did a couple of days ago) there is probably better traction than you'd have with those on dry pavement.

I guess I've never realized you could have that much traction on snow. :nabble_smiley_oh:

When you have snow that packs and ices up under pressure it is amazing how much traction you have with a reasonably open tread pattern.

With 4.56 gears you are doing a fair bit of torque multiplication but it's not so easy to keep the tires broken loose.

I don't know. I wasn't driving.