Bullnose Forums

460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

CRittaler

Wow! That pivot must have had a huge angle on it to reach forward a couple of inches.

I'm glad Gary's illustration helped you figure it out! :nabble_anim_jump:

Whoever hacked it together initially made a crappy spacer that brought it out far enough from the block, but it meant that the arc of the adjuster didn't match the arc that the alternator swung through so I couldn't rotate the alternator enough to get a stock belt on it.

Whoever hacked it together initially made a crappy spacer that brought it out far enough from the block, but it meant that the arc of the adjuster didn't match the arc that the alternator swung through so I couldn't rotate the alternator enough to get a stock belt on it.

Do you have the shouldered pivot bolt I pointed out above?

It's pretty key in that it holds the bracket tightly but allows the adjuster arm to pivot without binding or chewing up the hole.

Do you have the shouldered pivot bolt I pointed out above?

It's pretty key in that it holds the bracket tightly but allows the adjuster arm to pivot without binding or chewing up the hole.

no, I have a regular bolt there. I figure if I have to pivot the arm it's not a big deal to loosen that bolt. That's what I have to do on my Suzuki as it it.

Let's see if this is zoomed in enough to help. (Man, I'd forgotten how ugly that engine was!)

If not, how 'bout this?

Yes that's how mine is there. On the first diagram you posted it looked like the adjustment bracket was bolted through the front of the alternator where mine I bolted through the backside, and am using the slotted adjustment bracket itself as a spacer in between the air pump bracket and the block. I just recently did this on my rig I remember the adjusting bracket not able to slack off enough to get the belt over the pulley. So I ended up just removing the slotted bracket putting the belt over the pulley and then reinstalling it for some reason The alternator hits the little jog on the bracket and will not let it slide to the completely loose position I did a little bending on it and it's better but still not completely clearing it for changing a belt.

Yes that's how mine is there. On the first diagram you posted it looked like the adjustment bracket was bolted through the front of the alternator where mine I bolted through the backside, and am using the slotted adjustment bracket itself as a spacer in between the air pump bracket and the block. I just recently did this on my rig I remember the adjusting bracket not able to slack off enough to get the belt over the pulley. So I ended up just removing the slotted bracket putting the belt over the pulley and then reinstalling it for some reason The alternator hits the little jog on the bracket and will not let it slide to the completely loose position I did a little bending on it and it's better but still not completely clearing it for changing a belt.

When I started this thread it was because I found that mine was bolted to the block with a home made spacer to bring the adjuster out to the back side of the alternator. The position of the adjust meant that the alternator would hit the adjuster long before moving enough to be able to get a stock belt onto the pulley.

Whoever set it up like this just tightened the bracket to the timing cover without adding a spacer to compensate for the thickness of the adjuster so I was able to shimmy it into the correct place without much effort and then properly tighten all the bracket bolts and tension the belt.

When I started this thread it was because I found that mine was bolted to the block with a home made spacer to bring the adjuster out to the back side of the alternator. The position of the adjust meant that the alternator would hit the adjuster long before moving enough to be able to get a stock belt onto the pulley.

Whoever set it up like this just tightened the bracket to the timing cover without adding a spacer to compensate for the thickness of the adjuster so I was able to shimmy it into the correct place without much effort and then properly tighten all the bracket bolts and tension the belt.

Hard to imagine the person who took it apart would go to all that effort.

Even if they forgot where the arm went, they know they didn't take a bunch of parts off.

And just holding it in place gives a good idea where it must pivot from.