Bullnose Forums

460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

CRittaler

If I remember correctly it was bolted here. When I can get back out to the truck (~8pm pacific) I'll snap a picture.

You are correct that the truck had at least one air pump as the bracket for it is still on the block and the pulley on the alternator is dual V belt.

I am going to double check the bracket number as that F could very well be a 5, it was grimy and I was getting grumpy about still finding stuff messed up from the PO.

The title was because I legitimately thought the PO used a bracket from another vehicle given that the spacer they used had been ground at and angle and drilled off center and at an angle.

Well, your original alternator would have fit between the lower 'ears' on the air pump bracket (as shown)

If you're talking about the adjuster arm instead of the bracket, then that makes sense.

But you can see it fits to the water pump/timing cover in your illustration.

Well, your original alternator would have fit between the lower 'ears' on the air pump bracket (as shown)

If you're talking about the adjuster arm instead of the bracket, then that makes sense.

But you can see it fits to the water pump/timing cover in your illustration.

Correct, I am talking about the adjuster. I'm used to the terminology from my Suzuki. The adjuster on it is the upper alternator bracket and the lower bracket bolts to the block. I just flipped the terminology because the orientation is opposite from the Suzuki.

Apologies for the wrong terminology.

Correct, I am talking about the adjuster. I'm used to the terminology from my Suzuki. The adjuster on it is the upper alternator bracket and the lower bracket bolts to the block. I just flipped the terminology because the orientation is opposite from the Suzuki.

Apologies for the wrong terminology.

No need to apologize. I was just confused. :nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused:

So, maybe try installing it like it shows in the generic illustration.

Or attach the arm to one of the timing case bolts if it doesn't go behind the bracket casting? (20522-S)

I can take a picture of where my arm mounts, but like I said, I have the L&L bracket.

No need to apologize. I was just confused. :nabble_anim_confused::nabble_anim_confused:

So, maybe try installing it like it shows in the generic illustration.

Or attach the arm to one of the timing case bolts if it doesn't go behind the bracket casting? (20522-S)

I can take a picture of where my arm mounts, but like I said, I have the L&L bracket.

I looked through my pictures last night, lots of different shots of the AC/PS side, top views of the dual smoke grinders, nothing of the 200# mount.

The thread title is "what's the alternator bracket supposed to be?"

So you have the answer.

I'm just trying to point out that he may be beyond the point of no return, or asking the wrong question.

If the question really is "what alternator bracket will work?" then the answer is it depends on what you have now.

So, a picture of the front of the passenger side head and the place where "the bracket is attached to the block" can help us help him.

The easy answer is 10156-B

I also second the L&L as a valid option to get rid of the smog bracket and Jim is correct in that it needs shimming. Unfortunately the ebay offering won't work as you are going to 4wd but would have been a great price.

Let's see if this is zoomed in enough to help. (Man, I'd forgotten how ugly that engine was!)

If not, how 'bout this?

Thanks for these pictures! I don't know if it was the PO or the PPO that did it, but they had the bracket cranked down against the timing cover.

I was able to take the bolt out and the bracket was loose enough that I was able to slip the adjuster in behind and bolt it all back up correctly.

I have no idea why this was kludged the way it was, but thanks for helping me get it sorted out!

Here's where the kludged together bracket was bolted.

IMG_20210131_203729_DRO.png.f50b5577ea58eb163dcd7c348777ad5e.png

Installed in the correct location and tensioned.

IMG_20210131_205707_DRO.png.803522e64e3bbd13620ca6cd64e0bbb0.png

Thanks for these pictures! I don't know if it was the PO or the PPO that did it, but they had the bracket cranked down against the timing cover.

I was able to take the bolt out and the bracket was loose enough that I was able to slip the adjuster in behind and bolt it all back up correctly.

I have no idea why this was kludged the way it was, but thanks for helping me get it sorted out!

That's..interesting. Glad that's all it took!

Wow! That pivot must have had a huge angle on it to reach forward a couple of inches.

I'm glad Gary's illustration helped you figure it out! :nabble_anim_jump:

Yes, glad it is sorted! Especially at such a cheap price. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I hadn't thought to look through my many pics until Bill mentioned that he had. So I went looking and sure enough, had that one.

(And I'm glad that I did as it reminded me of how UGLY things were under the hood. So much better now.)