Bullnose Forums

460 lower alternator bracket.. What's it' supposed to be?

CRittaler

Sigh, everything I touch on this truck has been touched by every previous owner, mostly for the worse.

What is the factory lower alternator bracket supposed to look like? Mine is cobbled together from something else and i want to make it right.

With what I have now I can't adjust the alternator far enough to slip the new belt on. The old belt was some metric thing that doesn't cross to anything meant for the truck. The arc of the adjuster doesn't match the arc the alt swings through so the bracket hits the alternator before it's been fully adjusted towards the block.

The adjuster is a Ford part E3TE-1014F-GA if I read it correctly.

IMG_20210130_202338_DRO.png.8a40618069fd1cebf4688241a9175979.png

IMG_20210130_202350_DRO.png.39fd39faa2b3f6bd5dd14a0203b076d9.png

Pretty sure Ford would have not ground the head off of whatever this came off of and would have likely drilled the hole in the center, and straight.

IMG_20210130_202414_DRO.png.21eeaf9871ffff54f3f7e39f69ab334c.png

Also fairly confident that Ford wouldn't have drilled out a nut to use as a spacer

IMG_20210130_202439_DRO.png.dbfac3a6da7c3ca1ae6399a5d622ecbc.png

Chris - I think the lower bracket should look something like the one in the illustration below, although that covers many different engines, as you'll see.

As for the part number, what you have is actually an "ID" number. In the mid 60's as one of their "better ideas" Ford quit placing part numbers on parts. Instead, they put an ID # on and issued a cross reference book to go from ID to part number. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I have some of the books and will try to cross that ID # to a part number. But you can see the illustrations and part numbers for alternators and brackets at Documentation/Electrical/Alternators. You should have a 40 or 60 amp alternator, which would mean you should have part number E3TZ 10145-G.

Also, note that while the majority of ID #'s have the same central number as the part number, which is "10145" in this case, there are plenty of instances where the numbers differ. But I've not seen a central number like "1014F". Can you check the "F" and see if it might be a "5"?

m-block-and-460-mounting_orig.thumb.jpg.6b22c72087a864e29b8eb70736e60aa7.jpg

Chris - I think the lower bracket should look something like the one in the illustration below, although that covers many different engines, as you'll see.

As for the part number, what you have is actually an "ID" number. In the mid 60's as one of their "better ideas" Ford quit placing part numbers on parts. Instead, they put an ID # on and issued a cross reference book to go from ID to part number. :nabble_anim_crazy:

I have some of the books and will try to cross that ID # to a part number. But you can see the illustrations and part numbers for alternators and brackets at Documentation/Electrical/Alternators. You should have a 40 or 60 amp alternator, which would mean you should have part number E3TZ 10145-G.

Also, note that while the majority of ID #'s have the same central number as the part number, which is "10145" in this case, there are plenty of instances where the numbers differ. But I've not seen a central number like "1014F". Can you check the "F" and see if it might be a "5"?

Gary,

Thanks! I'll have another look tonight when I can get back out to the truck.

Mine was bolted to the block, not even close to where the diagram shows.

Gary,

Thanks! I'll have another look tonight when I can get back out to the truck.

Mine was bolted to the block, not even close to where the diagram shows.

Your truck definitely had an air pump bracket.... probably dual air pumps, with the alternator hanging below and the pumps driven by a skinny belt off the front sheave of the alternator pulley.

Where is there a threaded hole on the front of the block???

I searched high and low for a "stock" bracket that would fit.

Including buying one from a 429 Torino!

Nothing worked without fouling my crossmember or suspension and I ended up buying an L&L bracket from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

It came with a nice 2 sheave pulley that I sent to Gary.

Be aware that you might need some alternate spacers with the L&L bracket to get the belt lined up.

I did.

Your truck definitely had an air pump bracket.... probably dual air pumps, with the alternator hanging below and the pumps driven by a skinny belt off the front sheave of the alternator pulley.

Nothing worked without fouling my crossmember or suspension and I ended up buying an L&L bracket from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

Be aware that you might need some alternate spacers with the L&L bracket to get the belt lined up.

I did.

I have the factory setup sitting on the shelf while my engine is down for rebuild, so if need be I can take pictures of the stuff so you know what you're looking for. Just let me know.

I have the factory setup sitting on the shelf while my engine is down for rebuild, so if need be I can take pictures of the stuff so you know what you're looking for. Just let me know.

The ID# E3TE-10145-GA is part # E3TZ-10145-G, which is the part I think you are supposed to have. And, there's no reference of a 1014F.

The ID# E3TE-10145-GA is part # E3TZ-10145-G, which is the part I think you are supposed to have. And, there's no reference of a 1014F.

But if he's not running an A.I.R. pump then he doesn't need the massive casting (or the unobtainable tube that fits behind it, to allow the heater hose to connect to the water pump)

But if he's not running an A.I.R. pump then he doesn't need the massive casting (or the unobtainable tube that fits behind it, to allow the heater hose to connect to the water pump)

Right. I'm just saying that I think the swing arm is original to the truck. Not that everything else is correct.

Right. I'm just saying that I think the swing arm is original to the truck. Not that everything else is correct.

The thread title is "what's the alternator bracket supposed to be?"

So you have the answer.

I'm just trying to point out that he may be beyond the point of no return, or asking the wrong question.

If the question really is "what alternator bracket will work?" then the answer is it depends on what you have now.

So, a picture of the front of the passenger side head and the place where "the bracket is attached to the block" can help us help him.

The easy answer is 10156-B

1051.jpg.a4ad0102cb0d1e934619028abf2cdbe2.jpg

I did.

If I remember correctly it was bolted here. When I can get back out to the truck (~8pm pacific) I'll snap a picture.

Screenshot_202101311028212.thumb.png.c577eaf48425bcb8ab9d48c909b906c8.png

You are correct that the truck had at least one air pump as the bracket for it is still on the block and the pulley on the alternator is dual V belt.

I am going to double check the bracket number as that F could very well be a 5, it was grimy and I was getting grumpy about still finding stuff messed up from the PO.

The title was because I legitimately thought the PO used a bracket from another vehicle given that the spacer they used had been ground at and angle and drilled off center and at an angle.